NOT MINE 1970 Polara 2dr HT with 383 for 1200$

i have no "dog in the fight" as to anyone else's opinion :).

for a hobbyist like me -- with means but NO skill to do hard things myself -- this Polara looks to be way too far gone. that makes it a parts car TO ME.

COULD it be brought "back to life" in the "right" hands? of course. we all have seen "WORSE" cars with oak trees growing thru the engine compartment, with paper mache sheet metal, fixed up and winning awards at car shows.

would i recommend that project to anyone for this one?. nope.

purely objectively, investment-based, just observing its condition/marketability if done. better cars/ways to spend several thousand $$/man hours of labor, again in my opinion.

would i buy it "as is" - today? yup, only if i could get it (not even gonna try tho at any price) from wherever it is into my warehouse for <$1K...where I would have it promptly parted out and the rest recycled.

i respect anyone's plans/skills/$$ IF a different objective for it than mine. :)
Yeah if this was remotely local it would already be at my shop and I'd be working on making it run, drive, stop and a good clean up to make it more appealing to properly rehome it.

It might be growing now in the US but I do not have the impression that those that work on them thereself is really rising.
People loving, driving, hoarding them: yes might be on the way up
People working on them : on the way down due to age for the most part IMHO

Carsten

I don't see that. All ages are into fuselage cars. Simply because the muscle cars are priced out of the reach of the younger generations. It seems with Polaras, their dad had one and they are fixing them up. That's what I've seen alot lately, and that's my story as well.
I agree that ownership is on the way up. I see that here.

I also see that across the car hobby in general, some of us are getting just old enough to not want to get into a project. There's also a factor of the cost of restoration (even doing most of the work yourself) versus just buying a nice car that doesn't have to have major work. I also think there's some gen X guys getting into the hobby that aren't used to turning wrenches. You can see this here with the "My mechanic says" phrase in their threads.

It isn't bad or good... It just is the way it is.

IMHO, IF the floor is repairable and frame is good, it could be a good candidate for a project or driver with "patina". The asking price is OK and you could probably count out 10 Benjamins or less on the hood and haul it home. As a parts car, it's also in the right price range.. So if you are either up for a project or looking at it as a parts car, I don't think you could get hurt in the deal.

The metal condition on this car is actually better on the fenders and quarters than Nessie was when I picked her up in 2001. I'm unsure what the mould does, whether it renders the interior vinyl unusable? It would be shame since the dash pad looks intact. As others have pointed out the cowl area area and rear window look like the areas requiring the most work to bring back.

The metal condition on this car is actually better on the fenders and quarters than Nessie was when I picked her up in 2001. I'm unsure what the mould does, whether it renders the interior vinyl unusable? It would be shame since the dash pad looks intact. As others have pointed out the cowl area area and rear window look like the areas requiring the most work to bring back.
That cowl area doesn't look bad to me from the photos.

The seats would wipe off, but need re upholstery to be nice. I'd just search around a bit and find replacements in fair shape.
I agree that ownership is on the way up. I see that here.

I also see that across the car hobby in general, some of us are getting just old enough to not want to get into a project. There's also a factor of the cost of restoration (even doing most of the work yourself) versus just buying a nice car that doesn't have to have major work. I also think there's some gen X guys getting into the hobby that aren't used to turning wrenches. You can see this here with the "My mechanic says" phrase in their threads.

It isn't bad or good... It just is the way it is.

IMHO, IF the floor is repairable and frame is good, it could be a good candidate for a project or driver with "patina". The asking price is OK and you could probably count out 10 Benjamins or less on the hood and haul it home. As a parts car, it's also in the right price range.. So if you are either up for a project or looking at it as a parts car, I don't think you could get hurt in the deal.

There's more folks out there doing their cars up and just not posting here. It's easier to post on FB if they are even posting it at all.

Why couldn't that be a 69 Polara or Monaco?
It'd be on a trailer already to IL.

But I already bought parts for a 69 I don't have yet.

There's more folks out there doing their cars up and just not posting here. It's easier to post on FB if they are even posting it at all.
It's always been true that there are a lot of guys that don't post here. Some do FB only, some do both, some not at all.

I see the forum as a representation of what's going on in the hobby. It may only be a small percentage, but I think it does show trends in the hobby.

While I belong to a lot of the FB groups, I don't post much, if any.

Yeah if this was remotely local it would already be at my shop and I'd be working on making it run, drive, stop and a good clean up to make it more appealing to properly rehome it.
good on you chief. admirable skill and willingness to take it on.

I admit I could be (likely am) a product of my age. thirty years ago, this polara would be standing tall in about two years. I would have done it and 4-5 other cars at the same time. We'd be working a TEN cars, with five good ones at the end, 30 years ago.

Hindsight? I would have preferred to have put some of that money in my IRA. :)

But something to consider. Dunno everyone's circumstances, but even the cohort I am STILL running with 30 years later are ALSO "old men" and friends too.

Working on this old stuff - mechanicals, interiors, sheet metal - they have 50 years of that experience, 30 years with me. BUT, THEY don't wanna do all that work. And, no matter WHAT i pay them, some stuff they WONT do for me .. they think its stupid.

Crazy old men like me? Maybe, yeah. Wisdom of the years? Certainly.

Their apprentices? Useful as teets on a bull. Nice guys/gals but stay the f*** away from my car. No skill, no interest in learning it seems. Not all, but some of them. Cant plug it in and get a digital readout? They are otherwise lost.

Moral of that story? I will not take on a giant project anymore. my GUYS won't do it either. While I too see interest in our beloved C's to be "higher" since a decade ago, the group of people WORKING on them does NOT appear to be getting bigger.

In fact the opposite (anecdotally). AND, iF one has NO skill like me, it wont only be electrics/emissions potentially putting the hobby on the sidelines. Qualified and interested craftspeople has slowed the work I want to do, let alone stuff in the queue i WANT to finish.

I do/did it ALL cuz I like them, wanna drive them, wanna look at em, don't care as much about resale (although OLD people should keep that in mind when they are YOUNG people).:poke:

i have no "dog in the fight" as to anyone else's opinion :).

for a hobbyist like me -- with means but NO skill to do hard things myself -- this Polara looks to be way too far gone. that makes it a parts car TO ME.

COULD it be brought "back to life" in the "right" hands? of course. we all have seen "WORSE" cars with oak trees growing thru the engine compartment, with paper mache sheet metal, fixed up and winning awards at car shows.

would i recommend that project to anyone for this one?. nope.

purely objectively, investment-based, just observing its condition/marketability if done. better cars/ways to spend several thousand $$/man hours of labor, again in my opinion.

would i buy it "as is" - today? yup, only if i could get it (not even gonna try tho at any price) from wherever it is into my warehouse for <$1K...where I would have it promptly parted out and the rest recycled.

i respect anyone's plans/skills/$$ IF a different objective for it than mine. :)

AND that's pretty much what most of us are trying to convey.

Oh bull. There are stupid GTs and Chryslers that are 10 times worse than this being saved.

This is a feasible project car. Stop acting like it's not.

AND that metal is easier to find but even at your thought who's doing it? Most aren't, can't or/and do not have room.

I personally don't want a hacked together car.
I also don't want something mediocre.
Speaking of perfection wheres MY car?

This site should be called forsurvivorsonly.com

If I had to guess your perfect car is in a nice building up north in Wisconsin being admired with Blue.

All them hacked together muscle cars bringing big bucks at auctions...GTs and Hursts hacked together. What makes this one not worthy? I don't see it. I hear the "it doesn't make sense" side. But fixing up old mopars never makes sense realistically.

This is a cool project car. Priced right. I've asked about transport costs and I'm thinking at the moment.

All them hacked together muscle cars bringing big bucks at auctions...GTs and Hursts hacked together. What makes this one not worthy? I don't see it. I hear the "it doesn't make sense" side. But fixing up old mopars never makes sense realistically.

This is a cool project car. Priced right. I've asked about transport costs and I'm thinking at the moment.

Go for it, Wyatt!

Then put my money where your mouth is, go get it and start doing it. Prove me wrong!

Back