1970 Sport Fury coupe on "Restoration Garage"

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
The owner is the same guy that had that '70 300-H coupe on the show. Claims it is a factory 383+6 with factory air conditioning!!! He bought the car new, and I noticed they were pretty intent on NOT showing the fender tag through all that. Nice car, very nice indeed! But, he claims that "Plymouth" called him nearly a year after getting the car and demanding to buy this alleged "prototype" back. I cal total BS on that! It's a 383 Golden Commando with a 4-bbl originally, of course. You can see the crude cut along the front of the air cleaner baseplate to clear the A/C compressor. But, trying to say it's a prototype, when no 383+6 was ever built factory, makes no sense. A "prototype" if it were a '69? I could see. One built into the second year of a three-year style cycle, and knowing the 383 had but one more model year left before being replaced by the 400...hell, no! Such a ridiculous story about the car's history!

It was a rat's nest of wiring hell under the hood and dash. Little of that worked, and the owner had a couple of small fires, as a result. Ran only on the center carb, and had a few other problems, too.

Wait a minute... Anyone have this owner's name?

I don't get that channel here.

That line of BS sounds like a local guy and I know he had a 300H.

He also has a freakshow of a Cadillac hearse that has all kinds of lights, noisemakers, and a flamethrower on it!

He also has a freakshow of a Cadillac hearse that has all kinds of lights, noisemakers, and a flamethrower on it!
That's not the same guy then. He wouldn't have anything to do with a hearse like that.

It would be possible though... That shop is only about 4 hours away.

The owner is the same guy that had that '70 300-H coupe on the show. Claims it is a factory 383+6 with factory air conditioning!!! He bought the car new, and I noticed they were pretty intent on NOT showing the fender tag through all that. Nice car, very nice indeed! But, he claims that "Plymouth" called him nearly a year after getting the car and demanding to buy this alleged "prototype" back. I cal total BS on that! It's a 383 Golden Commando with a 4-bbl originally, of course. You can see the crude cut along the front of the air cleaner baseplate to clear the A/C compressor. But, trying to say it's a prototype, when no 383+6 was ever built factory, makes no sense. A "prototype" if it were a '69? I could see. One built into the second year of a three-year style cycle, and knowing the 383 had but one more model year left before being replaced by the 400...hell, no! Such a ridiculous story about the car's history!

It was a rat's nest of wiring hell under the hood and dash. Little of that worked, and the owner had a couple of small fires, as a result. Ran only on the center carb, and had a few other problems, too.

This car appears to be the same car I saw on FantomWorks yesterday morning. Same BS about a 383 with a sixpack all factory, one of one, blah blah. . .

I call BS too!
Chrysler was not in the habit of selling "prototypes". They crushed them.
Mr. Worman would be working on a car that rare.
I say prove it. Body tag, bill of sale & etc.

Last edited:
I seem to recall reading somewhere that prototypes never got VIN plates or fender tags because they didn't necessarily meet DOT and could not be licensed. If the prototype needed road testing it was classified as experimental and had to meet a bunch of special specs and be driven only by specially trained test drivers.

That guy had the Hurst, which was on the same TV show earlier, at the Hurst car show during Carlisle the first day. Several people said he was a horses *** and threw a fit because the Hurst Event staff would not allow his car into the indoor show arena which was for special cars like the Hurst 300 prototype. I saw the car he has and it had a number of wrong things on it such as the steering wheel (74 or later), wrong paint design on trunk, as well as a Hurst emblem from a Hurst Jeep Commando on the trunk as well. He got real upset when people told him he had some wrong things with his car. Sounded like he liked to brag about his money, and didn't really know what he had, just that it was "rare". So I wouldn't doubt if someone didn't sell him the car with that story line, and he snatched it up due to it was "rare".

Last edited:
upload_2017-8-4_0-39-51.jpeg

Anyone know what season and episode number that the 300 and Fury were on? I just looked through the descriptions of all the episodes "on demand" and don't see either one.

according to the website
season 4 episode 8 is the fury
season 4 episode 3 is the 300

This car appears to be the same car I saw on FantomWorks yesterday morning. Same BS about a 383 with a sixpack all factory, one of one, blah blah. . .
I watched the episode, the common theme I have been seeing lately on all of these shows is they try to drama it up. I just want to see the cars, the problems and the repairs.

I watched the episode, the common theme I have been seeing lately on all of these shows is they try to drama it up. I just want to see the cars, the problems and the repairs.

Lately? All the "reality " shows have drama. Be it, car repair, home selling/repair, deadliest catch whatever it is they think adding drama helps the show.
Which is why I do not watch any of it.

Lately? All the "reality " shows have drama. Be it, car repair, home selling/repair, deadliest catch whatever it is they think adding drama helps the show.
Which is why I do not watch any of it.
The only show of this type that I ever watched and liked was Wheeler Dealers. While there was a little bit of made up nonsense to give it a back story, most of the show was about wrenching on an old car. There was no "product placement" and the cars were from the real world... Rusty and dirty, just like some junk I dragged home.

Even that has changed and I understand a new format is on the way.

I have watched several... I really can't bring myself to watch any of them for long and don't remember the last time I did. If it's on TV, it's mostly BS.

From reality shows i like Gold Rush and Bering Sea Gold.
From car shows Wheeler Dealers and Roadkill, RK Garage, Hot Rod Garage is best.

I'll watch Graveyard once in a while if they're working on something i'm interested in. Get kinda tired of just another ho hum "E" body restor with everything put on the car a brand new re pop.

There are a number of issues I have with any hobby related reality show... actually, any "reality" show... but for the purposes, let's go with hobby and specifically, automotive.
I like Roadkill and Roadkill garage and the other related ones. Reason being is that stuff goes wrong, they fix it, and still think it's the coolest **** in the world.
These shows where people are just so predictably ugly, I don't get. At very least the Roadkill guys feel some magic out of it. And damn, if you can't laugh, all you do is cry. Lame.
I don't give a damn what the back story is, I want to see people fix stuff and break it again. That, to me, is reality.

I'll watch Graveyard once in a while if they're working on something i'm interested in. Get kinda tired of just another ho hum "E" body restor with everything put on the car a brand new re pop.

Yeah let's see a real challenge and impress us all, Just for once let one of those shows do a restoration on a big C-Body any year any model all without a re-pop or 3D printer......... :thankyou:

Back