1971 colorado state patrol 2 door e85 fury 1

Here are a few pics of when we were working on it.
237.JPG
249.JPG
245.JPG

Fast forward to 4:45

Torsion quiet ride was a huge advertising point across the mopar C-body lineup in '71 even though it was 1st used in 1970 on all civilian C-bodies besides convertibles off the top of my head.

1971 Fury Brochure

71_Plumouth_Engineering_specs_5.jpg

My '71 PK41U does not have the iso-quite rear as expected being a police package. It does have the 7 leaf spring pack. My friends '70 300 Hurst has an isolated 7 leaf pack.

1971 Fury cop car with non-isolates 7 leaf pack
20201212_152555.jpg

1970 300 Hurst with isolated 7 leaf pack

20201108_213452.jpg

Last edited:

Fast forward to 4:45

Torsion quiet ride was a huge advertising point across the mopar C-body lineup in '71 even though it was 1st used in 1970 on all civilian C-bodies besides convertibles off the top of my head.

1971 Fury Brochure

View attachment 427674

My '71 PK41U does not have the iso-quite rear as expected being a police package. It does have the 7 leaf spring pack. My friends '70 300 Hurst has an isolated 7 leaf pack.

1971 Fury cop car with non-isolates 7 leaf pack
View attachment 427675

1970 300 Hurst with isolated 7 leaf pack

View attachment 427677

When, if ever, did the C bodies “get” the transverse torsion bars?

1976 ... or later? Something is twinging my memory for that, but I am not sure.

Never on a C body...It was the FMJ suspension...so yes, first appeared on Volare/ Aspen in 76.

Good, never worked on anything with those so I don’t know about performance. Glad they didn’t start on b bodies till 73. I prefer 71 and 72.

Someone made me a set years ago before I efi turboed and changed drive config... Was super cool

I had a good talk with lemondana about his car, and some of the Nebraska differences. We will be in touch.

Now... back to the star of this thread...

The weather and my work schedules have not lined up for me to get the tank back in yet, but soon.

As I explained on the phone to @lemondana , I have not tried to fire her up yet. It is killing me. I want to hear her run, and I want to know the answer to the nagging question of "why was she parked?"

I realized the reason for my delay would probably be a good discussion with the group, so here it is.

I pulled the dipstick, and the oil looks like it is brand new, right on the level mark. I have heard a story of a similar case, engine sat for years, that the oil pump either couldnt pump or at least not enough to do what it needed to do because of the sludge in the pan. After sitting 40 years, I am guessing that there is sediment that has settled. I will pull the drain plug next time I am out there to see what the oil is like at the lowest level, that should give me an idea.

From there you can imagine how many old farmer tricks I have heard, along with some some simple advice. Statements range from... drop the pan, dont take a chance, to just run diesel through it and you will be fine.

Personally, I am of the drop the pan, just in case group.

So, any thoughts? Am I being to cautious?

Pull the plugs, spray a little marval mystery oil in the cylinders and see if it spins over by hand with a breaker bar. Drain the pan & cut the filter open. Maybe pull a valve cover. If all looks well, add some fresh oil & put some gas down the carb and see if it fires. Have a functional mechanical oil pressure gauge hooked up and keep an eye on it.

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. Plugs are out, marvel is already in, and it is free by hand.

I will try to see if it drains or comes out like yogurt in the next few days.

I didnt think of it until you mentioned a gauge, but that nice optional oil pressure gauge she has will come in handy right off the bat. Thanks.

Might also want to check the timing chain for excessive slack. Line up the timing mark to TDC. Now pull the distributor cap and rock the crankshaft back and for and note how many degrees it takes to get the distributor shaft to move. More than 10-12 degrees of movement on the crank before the distributor shaft moves, you need to replace the timing chain. Police cruisers spent a lot of time at idle and the engines will often have many more hours on them than is accurately reflected by speedometer miles.

Dave

Back