SOLD 1971 Dodge Monaco 440 coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know how we can tell it's tawny gold, given the poor lighting. Do we have fender tag?
My 72 Fury is GY8 Gold Metallic
Before clean up, overcast day
View attachment 213059
After clean up, sunny day
View attachment 213060
Fury (exterior repaint, but still love gold)
View attachment 213061

The color on your Fury is closer to a gold color, kind of like Aztec Gold used in 1970-1 (FL6).

GY9 used in 1971 and 1972 was the tawny gold color. It is more of a dark brown metallic with a hint of gold in it that shows up mostly in direct sunlight. When not in direct sunlight, I would have called it mouse brown metallic. When Carmine speaks highly about the color, I believe his remarks favor the form of Tawny Gold used on the 1974 and some later formals, which was more in-between the color on your Fury and a dark brown metallic, and did look pretty good to me when in sunlight.

F paint codes were for 1970 models initially and sometimes for later models as well, G paint codes were initially for 1971 models and used for later ones as well, etc. Below is my 1971 Imperial in GY9.

71 Imperial Tawny Gold.jpg

Last edited:
71 Chrysler GY9 tawny gold
71 Plymouth GY9 tawny gold

71 Dodge GY9 dark gold...…...:)

Is that one of your cars with sunroof Steve...….?

Is that one of your cars with sunroof Steve...….?

Not this one, as the only Imperial I had with the sunroof was the blue one, now owned by a fellow member of this site in Australia.

My other sunroof cars are two 1971 Chrysler 300s and one New Yorker. You can find them on Scott Rudge's (also an FCBO member) sunroof car registry:

Contact

71-imperial-tawny-gold-jpg.jpg

Great looking car from what I can see. Would love to see more pictures. I've gotten more into earth tone paint colors. I found a 2006 Chrysler 300 hemi with low miles, and it was discounted $1500 just for being brown. My wife needed a car and I was just about to go look at it with her, but she got this unenthusiastic look on her face. So I backed off. We looked at some different styles of vehicle and turned out she wanted an SUV, because her Dad drives a sedan. I bought her a 2011 3.7 Dodge Nitro, made in Toledo, Ohio, engine made in Michigan and she's been real happy with it. Cake to work on.
DSCN9873.JPG

The color on your Fury is closer to a gold color, kind of like Aztec Gold used in 1970-1 (FL6).

GY9 used in 1971 and 1972 was the tawny gold color. It is more of a dark brown metallic with a hint of gold in it that shows up mostly in direct sunlight. When not in direct sunlight, I would have called it mouse brown metallic. When Carmine speaks highly about the color, I believe his remarks favor the form of Tawny Gold used on the 1974 and some later formals, which was more in-between the color on your Fury and a dark brown metallic, and did look pretty good to me when in sunlight.

F paint codes were for 1970 models initially and sometimes for later models as well, G paint codes were initially for 1971 models and used for later ones as well, etc. Below is my 1971 Imperial in GY9.

View attachment 213070

71 Chrysler GY9 tawny gold
71 Plymouth GY9 tawny gold

71 Dodge GY9 dark gold...…...:)

Figured out why the color looked so familiar. I always wondered why Chrysler called the color Gold. Would love to have my 1973 Monaco 400/727 back, but I think it's overseas now. Sold it to an Indian sounding dealer in Texas 11 years ago. At first, Didn't bother me that I sold it, but now I keep going: Damn, wish I still had that car.
DSCN2095.JPG

DSCN2101.JPG

DSCN2070.JPG

No, I didn't persue it because of the color change. He'd have to go cheap for me to derail

@1970FuryConv, is your trunk pan original, or has it been repainted? My car's is ER6 throughout from the day it was born, but other cars I've seen have a grey spackle pattern -- not a dark black one like yours. Sorry if the question is silly, but an answer'd be most helpful.
Not original. Trunk repainted black by a previous owner, after rear window removed and resealed. Black paint mostly to halt surface rust. Extremely fortunate: no significant rust under rear glass or dutchman panel. My 72 Fury is a lucky car.
BTW, don't think your Q is silly. Cheers, Ben

From the photos of the inside of the trunk and underhood, it appears you are correct about tawny gold. I don't know which is worse, the repaint or the original color. Yuck to both. My 46K miles 71 Imperial coupe is tawny gold, and I have had it about 8 years now and still can't warm up to it. The only reason I still have it is because it is easily the smoothest 440 I have ever had. You can't even tell it is running at idle.

Steve, any color on a Fuselage Imperial looks good, if it´s on the fender tag.

Figured out why the color looked so familiar. I always wondered why Chrysler called the color Gold. Would love to have my 1973 Monaco 400/727 back, but I think it's overseas now. Sold it to an Indian sounding dealer in Texas 11 years ago. At first, Didn't bother me that I sold it, but now I keep going: Damn, wish I still had that car.
View attachment 213723
View attachment 213724
View attachment 213725

Correct, it lives in Finland now... Belongs to a friend of mine. It's been really good taken care of, if that gives you any consolation?

Thanks, but No. Still feel like a moron for selling. Hindsight is 20/20.

Sorry to hear that. I regret selling a couple of cars, too, but I think it's better I don't have to see them here where I live, it could make me regret even more! :lol:

OP (@69monaco ) — could you please mark the car as “SOLD”?Details to follow!

F7BB04FE-758B-4E5B-8E37-8AE8BC193BC1.jpeg

6E80FC03-9F6A-4CCF-98C3-AAD3F6604E8B.jpeg

A9FA98C9-EE1C-4C5C-8E11-E4482CA85C9A.jpeg

Congratulations from my side, too!

bigmoparjeff said:
I can't find what I did with my '71 Dodge sales brochure, but if it was a '71 Fury with a standard cam 440, it should have a dual snorkel and dual exhaust, like you said.
The data book says single exhaust, but it is unclear about the air cleaner. Since dual snorkel isn't explicitly mentioned, I would assume Polaras and Monacos ordered with a 440 only came with single snorkel air cleaner in 1971.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back