SOLD 1971 Dodge Polara Custom - Original Paint GY3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking the two things going against you are the rust and the two rear doors. I personally like 4 dr's but a lot of people don't. I'm going to be listing my 66 NY'er 4 door for sale soon and am expecting those same crickets you're hearing even though it's rust free. The rare color is a big plus for sure on yours but apparently not enough yet. Good luck, it only takes the one right person.

The rust on that car is not bad. At least by our standards.

Crickets so far on my Polara. I am guessing the closed border isn't helping. I've always had lots of interest in this car over the years. Anyway I will bring it home out of storage tomorrow.

I guess I am a bit curious to hear your thoughts?

Dave

The rust on that car is not bad. At least by our standards.

I have certainly seen worse and my perception of rust is seriously skewed by the amount of I have repaired in 45 years (the first 8 in NY) of doing bodywork for a living. Bottom line is I hate rust and so do a lot of others.

My theory, (and this comes from doing some aftermarket work for gypsies dealers) is as follows:

"Hal knew this was his last day at Jack Sampson Dodge. "Number 4 in the Southwest!" went the idiotic slogan... There was no way he would continue working for the man he caught half-naked with his wife at the annual Christmas party. They were too preoccupied to notice Hal enter the coatroom at the Elk's club, which meant Hal would still have access to the dealership's IBM corporate ordering terminal.

He used his key and came in early the next day. Jack and the rest of the staff, despite their huge tolerance for alcohol, would still be nursing hangovers from the Christmas bender. What could he create as a nice F-U to the boss man?

"Hmm, let's start by ordering a musclecar-shade of piss-yellow on the type of 4dr sedan normally purchased by grandmothers and driving instructors. Haha, that will screw the ol' sumbitch". But then it occurred to Hal... What if that SOB ran it through the bodyshop and painted it a sensible shade of dark metallic green? Those guys are on the payroll, and that scumbag would just add the paint to an insurance job. "No, I better really F this up..."

"How about a big-block and manual brakes?" A smile came to Hal's face. "Let's add the 5 speaker cassette option, but play it through an AM radio." Still missing something. "How about a black interior and no A/C. Have fun selling that when it's still here in July you fat prick!"

With the order submitted and verified, Hal walked out of the sales office and noticed his secretary was looking rather pretty this morning. She didn't attend last night's booze-fest. Maria had been many things, but mostly a good secretary to him. He approached her and said, "I never really noticed how sweet you are to me. It just so happens I'm free this morning, would you like to go to Denny's with me?" She accepted and the two walked through the lot to Hal's Winchester Gray 1971 New Yorker Coupe. It was a particularly beautiful morning, so much that Hal opened the sunroof, casting a perfect light on Maria's tanned, long, shapley legs.

Hal and Maria never returned. It's rumored they started a new life together. And the Dodge? It arrived a month later. Jack's string of profanity is rumored to still echo through the showroom of the dealership, almost 50 years later.

doesn't work.
Ist SPD is 10th September of 1970.
So it can't be the x-mas party. Unless you have a x-mas party somewhere in the thrid august week. :))

I have certainly seen worse and my perception of rust is seriously skewed by the amount of I have repaired in 45 years (the first 8 in NY) of doing bodywork for a living. Bottom line is I hate rust and so do a lot of others.

I'd never go balls-out in this car. Patching and blending the lower quarters would be enough to make it a solid driver. I think it's cooler with 95% original paint anyway.

My theory, (and this comes from doing some aftermarket work for gypsies dealers) is as follows:

"Hal knew this was his last day at Jack Sampson Dodge. "Number 4 in the Southwest!" went the idiotic slogan... There was no way he would continue working for the man he caught half-naked with his wife at the annual Christmas party. They were too preoccupied to notice Hal enter the coatroom at the Elk's club, which meant Hal would still have access to the dealership's IBM corporate ordering terminal.

He used his key and came in early the next day. Jack and the rest of the staff, despite their huge tolerance for alcohol, would still be nursing hangovers from the Christmas bender. What could he create as a nice F-U to the boss man?

"Hmm, let's start by ordering a musclecar-shade of piss-yellow on the type of 4dr sedan normally purchased by grandmothers and driving instructors. Haha, that will screw the ol' sumbitch". But then it occurred to Hal... What if that SOB ran it through the bodyshop and painted it a sensible shade of dark metallic green? Those guys are on the payroll, and that scumbag would just add the paint to an insurance job. "No, I better really F this up..."

"How about a big-block and manual brakes?" A smile came to Hal's face. "Let's add the 5 speaker cassette option, but play it through an AM radio." Still missing something. "How about a black interior and no A/C. Have fun selling that when it's still here in July you fat prick!"

With the order submitted and verified, Hal walked out of the sales office and noticed his secretary was looking rather pretty this morning. She didn't attend last night's booze-fest. Maria had been many things, but mostly a good secretary to him. He approached her and said, "I never really noticed how sweet you are to me. It just so happens I'm free this morning, would you like to go to Denny's with me?" She accepted and the two walked through the lot to Hal's Winchester Gray 1971 New Yorker Coupe. It was a particularly beautiful morning, so much that Hal opened the sunroof, casting a perfect light on Maria's tanned, long, shapley legs.

Hal and Maria never returned. It's rumored they started a new life together. And the Dodge? It arrived a month later. Jack's string of profanity is rumored to still echo through the showroom of the dealership, almost 50 years after the fact.

:lol: Sounds like a song.

Not sure why this didn't post the first time.

This week I had a few offers and a trade offered to me.

I still really like the car, and I am glad I own it...I just had it in storage and it got to be out of sight out of mind. I would be nice to see someone get the rust repaired and back on the road.

Dave

Last edited:
We need to ask @Dobalovr the weirdest oddballs he's seen roll off the truck.
I know the factory keeps feeding him lemons but I want to hear about the sour lemons.

We need to ask @Dobalovr the weirdest oddballs he's seen roll off the truck.
I know the factory keeps feeding him lemons but I want to hear about the sour lemons.

Mm mm tough one could be the ram 2500 without a box or the nitro yellow eagle wagon stick or the ram 3500 REG cab with 5 bullet holes mmmm lemme think
image.jpeg

Ram 2500 had a box delete option?
Yup sales manager thought he was ordering a regular 2500 but ordered a cab &chassis single wheel 2500 gas truck. We had it on the lot for 2 years before it sold to a farmer

Yup sales manager thought he was ordering a regular 2500 but ordered a cab &chassis single wheel 2500 gas truck. We had it on the lot for 2 years before it sold to a farmer
Seriously, why didn't you throw a utility box on the back.
Wait... they're all for duallies.
Answered my own question....

doesn't work.
Ist SPD is 10th September of 1970.
So it can't be the x-mas party. Unless you have a x-mas party somewhere in the thrid august week. :))

"Never let the truth get in the way of telling a good story"
Mark Brandon "Chopper" Read (17 November 1954 – 9 October 2013)

(geeez I just realized I'm older than 'Chopper')

And oh, on another silly note, if anyone here has torn apart one of these old cars when they were a year or two old (raise hand) you will remember seeing #1 contact cement overspray and #2 painted in dirt/debris in the reinforcing channels of these cars when they were brand new. Plus also some spare screws & clips!

Question is, when you see these shows with someone that is so obsessed with being 'Mr. Factory' correct, why don't we see them documenting and replicating the overspray and channel dirt?

OVERSPRAY.STUFF.jpg

:rofl:

I watched the videos of this car AGAIN. Dave, you make it very difficult to walk away, very very frigging difficult! :elmer::icon_fU::mad::BangHead::BangHead::soapbox:
I hate you ....

I watched the videos of this car AGAIN. Dave, you make it very difficult to walk away, very very frigging difficult! :elmer::icon_fU::mad::BangHead::BangHead::soapbox:
I hate you ....

you shouldn't walk away.

I am sure it can be get reasonable from Dave.
And finally it is a price in the lower four digit area not a reasonable Hemicuda
It does run&drive with rust, too.

Go for it

Carsten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back