1971 N-code Factory Sunroof Newport

Talking about Newports with sunroofs...

I came across this on YT:

Congratulations on your purchase! Seafoam turquoise is a very rare color indeed and the white top, with white interior, and tilt-a-scope top it off. I love it! Please keep us updated on the resto, I would love to see it come back to life.:):thumbsup:

Seafoam turquoise is a very rare color indeed and the white top, with white interior, and tilt-a-scope top it off. I love it!

Same here! Just one minor item: in 1971, Chrysler and Imperial called FQ5 "coral turquoise poly".

Same here! Just one minor item: in 1971, Chrysler and Imperial called FQ5 "coral turquoise poly".

Actually, not that it is important in any way, my color chart from the 1971 trim selector calls it "coral turquoise metallic". I don't think Chrysler used the term "poly" much in those years, but I could be wrong.
But we can all agree it is a fascinating color. I often wonder why I never saw very many Chrysler products on the road back in the days with that color.

my color chart from the 1971 trim selector calls it "coral turquoise metallic". I don't think Chrysler used the term "poly" much in those years, but I could be wrong.
But we can all agree it is a fascinating color. I often wonder why I never saw very many Chrysler products on the road back in the days with that color.

I just checked the Hamtramck Registry, and indeed all the files there use the word "metallic." Here is one using the word "Irid." and another showing "poly".

I believe the term "poly" was used by Ditzler who became PPG. It signified a mettalic color.

Indeed, the "Poly" one is a Ditzler sheet.

Had to move the ‘67 out for a shop cleaning.:)
71AC1FC8-46CD-4B41-9D1B-47946232FEF9.jpeg
43DD2A3F-78E5-4F73-8440-A24E835A29E2.jpeg

Nice , did you close the sunroof...……?!:)
What a great color!!

Last edited:
Nice , did you close the sunroof...……?!
No battery in that car since it’s been here and besides I wouldn’t touch that switch on a car that’s not mine.

I can't tell from your pictures, but is the symbol in the middle of your grill as it should be? If not, I have one. I pulled it from a '71 in a yard years ago; was going to put it on mine until I learned that the '70s did not have one.

If you don't know what I'm asking about look at the pictures in #25; it's in those very clearly.

I didn't have all the photos from the Craigslist Listing saved, so with this front view from Matt above, I can now see that the grille center emblem is there! Nice. Thanks for the willingness to assist though!

Hows the rear bumper? I just sold a NOS bumper to Wyatt and I found another NOS one this morning that's nice!

I won't really know until I see the car firsthand, which should be right around Thanksgiving Day.

How has the NOS bumper been stored all these years and is it pit/dent free still? Maybe some photos would help to be able to decide. PM me would be fine if you prefer not to post photos here.

Thanks!

A beautiful sight! Thanks again Matt for all your help - without it, it wouldn't have happened. :thumbsup:

Glad it was above freezing and sunlight. It will likely be heavy rain on this end.

Members helping members has really made some nice cars go into the proper hands.

I love the C body Mopar crowd and this forum!

The Newport arrived this morning (Monday) - couldn't be more pleased with it. Hooked up a battery and the sunroof actually worked well and even shut completely. I have to get a new battery cable terminal and then I should be able to start it soon. The windows roll up and down like new - it must be an original 40K mile car given that alone, and I also found a receipt from 1998 in the glove box for a set of tires dated 1998 with the car listed as having 30K miles back then. Even the sway bar bushings are very nice yet.

This last week had to be one of the worst possible times to bring it across the country given the miserable weather conditions but it arrived just fine, although the driver said it was no fun. But I have used him several times and he never disappoints - great service from the midwest to Los Angeles area and he makes the round trip twice each month.

It even hit 70F here today after just last week having some days with highs in the upper 30F range.

I will get some photos tomorrow, Tuesday.

Back