1971 Newport Custom JabberJaw

So, now I'm messin with this car again after hitting a brick wall with the other newport's brakes.

This car has a disk brake on the passengers side that is dragging enough that after a few miles I can smell the pads. I replaced the hose with another used hose that was clear and looked better expecting the one I took off to be swollen on the inside and blocking the caliper from releasing. Not the case. I bled both front disk's, got some fluid out, not a ton but it was flowing on both calipers.
Brake pedal feels nice and solid. Car stops when I hit the brakes.
However it does pull to the right, and pulls more to the right when I brake.

It's not the hose, It does not appear to be the M/C. Any idea's?

While I was there I figured I would just take a peak see.
Drats, nothing.

20210507_194704.jpg

20210507_194708.jpg

Since I'm there I might as well just lift the back off and check it as well.
Would ya look at that! This car has two build sheets that match!!!

20210507_195315.jpg

And the floors are beautiful, with exception of 51 years of some stuff. Not a lot actually.

20210507_194919.jpg

20210507_194927.jpg

20210507_194937.jpg

20210507_194945.jpg

I'm suspecting the caliper piston is stuck. I will remove it, clean and reinstall for the short term.

I will high resolution scan and copy this build sheet and re-install it in it's exact location. I will also put another one on the other side, just in case. If and when the front seat is removed I will do the same for that build sheet.

Well, the caliper has been soaking for a couple days. Couldn't get it to budge. Took it to my regular mechanic and he got it to go in and out about 1/4" but I can't get the caliper to push out. I'd like to clean it and reinstall it.
I have two choices at the moment. Fit my brake rubber line end with a grease zert and hydraulically push it out with a grease gun or re install it since it is moving in and out some. See if I can get it to work itself out for the moment.
I just want it to drive around without issue's until I can get the full parts put together for the brake system.

Brake pads have plenty of pad but are very glazed since this caliper was stuck. I'll sand em down a bit and reinstall for now. Rotor looks great. Not grooved in at all. Not even a real lip to speak of at the edge of the brake pad. This issue I'm having obviously happened over the winter.
The car supposedly drove more than 4 hours straight last fall.

20210509_170415.jpg

20210509_170423.jpg

20210509_170434.jpg

I'm considering cutting the rubber hose side in half at the crimp and tapping in threads for a grease zert. That way I can push the caliper out.
But I'll probably throw it back together first and just see if that little bit of movement frees it up enough for daily around town driving.

20210509_164507.jpg

Funny thing about this car. I've probably driven it about 8 miles so far in 4 different trips.
Yesterday I was looking under the hood, what a mess, and the distributor moved a tad when I reved the motor. The thing wasn't even bolted down. Just runs fine where it's at. I moved it side to side and put it at it's highest idle point for the moment. I could not make out the timing due to all the crap in the way.
Starts and runs. Like a grand pa car anyway.

This car is very loud due to the stock rear muffler being gone. Sounds like an old rattle box muscle car with no insulation and such.
I think this GB2 Glacial blue metallic car is earning itself a name.
It reminds me of "jabberjaw" on that old hanna barbera 70's cartoon from when I was a kid.
Well, anyway, that's what this car reminds me of.
I'm not into naming cars usually but since it's a trend over here on the Big C's I'll just name another car. Jabberjaw it is.

jabberjaw 3.jpg

jabberjaw 1.png

jabberjaw 2.jpg

I'm considering cutting the rubber hose side in half at the crimp and tapping in threads for a grease zert. That way I can push the caliper out.
But I'll probably throw it back together first and just see if that little bit of movement frees it up enough for daily around town driving.

View attachment 458565
Do you have access to an air compressor? When my passenger front caliper was frozen I clamped it in a vice and with some compressed air the piston popped right out. Turned out that the piston was shot, terrible rust pitting, so ended up replacing both front calipers. I doubt it will free itself with further use.

Air didn't work. I have an 80 gallon and I took it over to my mechanics who has a 150 gallon compressor. Neither had enough to pop it out.
I put it back on and I'm bleeding it so hopefully it will work. Probably not, but I have to try. Would prefer to not replace the caliper with cheap chinese junk.

Seems to work fine now. The calipers and pistons will be addressed. At least now I can drive it down to the cop shop and get her legal for the street.

20210510_161148.jpg

20210510_145242.jpg

The car pulls to the right when running down the road. I have to keep my hand on the wheel. The picture shows how the tire is wearing on the outside passengers tire.
Is this a ball joint issue?

20210509_170455.jpg

Seems to work fine now. The calipers and pistons will be addressed. At least now I can drive it down to the cop shop and get her legal for the street.

View attachment 458713

View attachment 458714
If air didn't work I think you could also try to use brake pedal to push out the piston. Remove caliper from rotor but keep brake line attached. Then start pumping the brakes. Can even try with engine running for extra brake boost. It should pop but don't keep your fingers close.

Back