1971 Newport Custom JabberJaw

Actually I did have them checked and my typical mechanic said they are fine.
He switched the tire to the other side and the "pull" went away.
I'm going to put a new set of tires on it and then continue to diagnose and fix.
Mechanic did say that the steering column rubber joint is very worn out and that is why my steering wheel seems to pull to the right itself.

Took him out for a drive during the rain yesterday to see how he floats on water.
Worked just fine. Lights all came on with no electrical issues occurring.

1.Unfortunately I have no heat. Defrost works but it runs cold. Have not looked into it but will. (heater hoses,heater core,fuse,water pump)

2.Speedo doesn't work. It stays at like 70 and goes up a little but doesn't work.
(install new speedo cable or speedo gear box at 727?)

3.I think the needle on the gear shifter is broken as nothing happens and there is no needle showing. (new needle or new shifter bezel?)

4. Voltage is weird. When I start the car 14.5 volts , when I put it in gear it drops to 11.5. Engine revolutions rise so does the voltage.
If I crank it too long the battery dies.
One time it wouldn't start at all even with another battery hooked to it. Hit the starter and selenoid with a screw driver and then cranked him with the key and it started right up.
(voltage regulator, altenator, jinky wiring at positive cable at battery)

5. kick down linkage. Shifts at 27 mph and then shifts at 45 with little acceleration and 57 with hard acceleration. Is this right?

I will post each issue in the respective forum thread if I get no discussion/answers here.

Last edited:
I recently had the carburetor rebuilt while I was at chryslers at carlisle.
It runs pretty good now with some initial hesitation.
Going to do a proper tune up on the car next.

Since I replaced the voltage regulator and the starter cable, I thought the electrical issue was fixed. Yesterday he died again after about 40 miles.

It is starting hard for some reason. It does start but requires some pushing of the gas to get him to fire up. Not just a half push or two but damn near flooring it to get it to start.

I replaced the battery after it died with another battery I had in a truck. Jabberjaw now starts up fairly easy but still has the carb issue for starting.

Now I think I have the electrical issue under control but time will tell.

I took him out for his maiden journey yesterday. Drove him to work and back in the rain.
He died as I said when I got to the jobsite but I have a charger and a spare battery on site so it was no big deal. I'm pretty sure my old battery is a bad battery.

This car runs like a top at 80 mph. Smooth as smooth can be.

It's a LOUD car. Hence it's name that I dubbed it, jabberjaw. It's like it's always talking.
Someone before me removed the resonator at the rear of the car. The muffler is still attached but someone just cut off everything after the axle.
I believe this is one of the next things I am going to do to the car. Fix the loudness of it. I love the loud drone and cackling of my barracuda's, but on my old grandpa car I really don't want it to alert everyone when I am coming down the street.
So, I'm looking for a resonator (I think that's what it's called).

as mentioned before,

Speedo is not working at all.
the D/C ammeter is not working at all.
The heat is not working but the vent blows nice cold air.
The radio bands are bad so I can only listen to country. wont hand tune.
( so at work I was feeling very patriotic, but felt sad as I think I lost my dog
and my girlfriend. But I love my tractor.)
The windshield wipers won't park correctly. They only park where I turn the switch off at. But they work so I can't complain too much.
headlights point down so much I can only see maybe 8' in front of me.

There is an aftermarket set of gauges that have been installed.
the oil pressure sits at 50 when accelerating but goes down to about 25 when idling.
With the new used battery the needle sits at 15, down to 14 when blinkers click.
I filled the gas tank with non ethanol gas. It fills to about 3/4 on the gauge.
I did smell brakes cooking on the way to the jobsite but they didn't do it so much on the way home. Figure I need to just rebuild the cylinders on the calipers or replace.
It leaks at the hole above the drives steering wheel. Gonna have to fix that hole.

And a few pics.

20210724_102912.jpg

20210724_102931.jpg

20210724_103142.jpg

20210724_103208.jpg

20210724_113312_HDR.jpg

20210724_113347.jpg

20210724_164318_HDR.jpg

20210724_170957.jpg

Now I think I have the electrical issue under control but time will tell.

I took him out for his maiden journey yesterday. Drove him to work and back in the rain.
He died as I said when I got to the jobsite but I have a charger and a spare battery on site so it was no big deal. I'm pretty sure my old battery is a bad battery.

This car runs like a top at 80 mph. Smooth as smooth can be.

It's a LOUD car. Hence it's name that I dubbed it, jabberjaw. It's like it's always talking.
Someone before me removed the resonator at the rear of the car. The muffler is still attached but someone just cut off everything after the axle.
I believe this is one of the next things I am going to do to the car. Fix the loudness of it. I love the loud drone and cackling of my barracuda's, but on my old grandpa car I really don't want it to alert everyone when I am coming down the street.
So, I'm looking for a resonator (I think that's what it's called).
So your exhaust "tip" is at the rear axle, underneath the car? In that case the loudness you're experiencing while driving is probably because of that and extending the exhaust to the rear of the car beyond the bumper could make all the difference you want

Yep that'll do it for ya. Add some pipe to the rear and it should be good. Buddy of mine used to have a car without mufflers or cats so just a straight pipe from manifolds to bumper. Incredibly loud and terrible to drive behind but inside of the car was barely any noise. Most of the sounds exits at the tip and if it's clear of the bumper there is no way for it to reverberate between the road and the floorpans.

sluggish ride

Just adding the above thread into this thread for the future owner of this car. The more info for myself and the next folks the better for all of us.

Neat ride, and amazing scenery! One day i gotta cruise those Colorado roads!

I'm in the middle of the state. If any of you are ever passing through, please feel free to contact me. I'd love to meet up for grub or a good ride through the mountains.

This is my first C body. I've grown to really like them and instead of waiting to purchase the "right" car that I'm after one fell into my lap. Might as well get my hands dirty while I'm waiting for that car.

I've got several questions about this car as there are some problems and I am unfamiliar with these cars entirely. I've really never even been in a C body. Seriously, not even sat in one.

So this thread will mostly be pictures of the car and a few questions here and there. If I don't get answers on this thread then I will post a specific thread for answers.

View attachment 451258

View attachment 451259

View attachment 451260

View attachment 451261
@cuda hunter That used to be my car man. I have lots of photos. I installed those speakers in the kick panels.

20141225_151518.jpg

@cuda hunter That used to be my car man. I have lots of photos. I installed those speakers in the kick panels.

View attachment 626991
Cool! @rds
I have very little past information about the car.
When I bought it the passengers side from brake was sticking so I had to trailer it back to Colorado.
I drive it every couple weeks. Take it to work and what not.
Eventually the plan is to sell this beast as I did pick up a gold car in the same model with lots less miles. It needs a few things and I actually like the blue newport with a black interior better but my gold one is in impeccable condition. Only a few items with need.
Did you put the 4 barrel conversion onto the 383? What else can you tell me about it? Got any older pictures of ole Jabberjaw?

Back