NOT MINE 1971 Polara 2dr near Louisville, KY (360, primer grey)

Remember this was the “Hot Rod Dodge” for about half the money a few years ago. Plenty of rust in all of the usual places including A posts. Pretty sketchy cowl door gaps…sagging body! Rebuilt at some point, easy starting 318. Originally Moss Lime. Seemed it had disc brakes. I was going to offer like a grand but passed.
Has that GJ4 (aka "April Green" for Dodge and "Moss Green" for P/C/Y) been around the block, then? Had the 360 engine already been swapped for a 318 when you saw it years ago (I assume is it the same one you mentioned here)?

Last edited:
Based on this, from that linked thread in 2019:
Well, I went. Probably chatted with the owner for an hour while looking. The highlights are: Lower quarters gone enough that it encroached into the wheel arch character line...metal working beyond my skills. And not something one could do a passable quicky on. Had some “pinholes” around the rear window, some rot in the passenger A post and a perforation above the windshield. The door/fender gap was tight at the top. Didn’t get to see the trunk floor...too much junk in it. The quarter to roof seam was kinda bowed out. Owner said the transmission had a leak but it still pulled and he had driven around the neighborhood. Driver seat bottom was worse than the last near graveyard Volvo 240 I’d driven...like it was beaten with a mallet or a dog dug through it. But it started easily and had disc brakes. I was cautiously optimistic that there would’ve been a little more to work with.

Sounds like the price needs to go down further, with roof rust and the drivers seat being in poor condition underneath the cover. Covers wear quickly when the foam isn't good.

It's now on ebay with a $6500 opening bid and no reserve.
The extra $$$ gets you Cragar SS wheels and the obligatory Ellderobrock carb.
It does not get you proper alternator brackets, though.

The upper bracket is installed between the alt and cyl head, right where the last DA had it. (and that guy claimed to be an old-school Mopar mechanic)
Looks like you don't get a belt that runs the water pump either, but you still get the busted fan shroud.

Bid early and bid hard for this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155929077156?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11021.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=cee1e76af1f24192808467dd5c9afd2c&bu=43216181643&ut=RU&osub=-1~1&crd=20231205040948&segname=11021

1701779608728.png

1701779580836.png

You can still see the GJ4 paint in the door jambs and the edges of the trunk rim.

1701780396046.png

1701780487765.png

Didn’t bother to fix that seat. Thought I was going to China when I sat on it.

The seller has uploaded a bunch of additional photos on eBay, including the fender tag. GJ4 indeed -- DE23K1D320627 is pretty much optioned the way a DE should be. Right engine, right exterior paint color. Triple-green combo with the V1F top (which works well IMHO with GJ4) and green F1F7 interior (those benches are OK for up to 2 hours, after that one gets a back ache).

A GJ4 1971 Polara (2dr or 4dr sedan) is one of the few things left in my fusie bucket list. A reality check re: the work involved getting this one back to what I'd like means I have decided to pass.

1701821566470.png

If it weren't so expensive, I want to buy it just to fix the alternator bracket.
And stuff some foam under that front seat cover.
Then resell it for less than I paid for it if necessary...

"Pretty much optioned the way a DE should be. Right engine."

The right engine would have the distributor in the front and it would have a dual snorkel air cleaner.

If that was the case it wouldn't have ended up in the never ending cycle of doom that a ALOT of Polaras fall into.

The right engine would have the distributor in the front and it would have a dual snorkel air cleaner.

If that was the case it wouldn't have ended up in the never ending cycle of doom that a ALOT of Polaras fall into.
Really? You and I have seen plenty of examples whose heart was ripped out for precisely this reason.

Really? You and I have seen plenty of examples whose heart was ripped out for precisely this reason.
Right but it would be long gone already and not getting passed around like a cheap hooker. Unloved and degraded more and more with each person taking their turn.

If it was a big block car, N or T, it would find someone that wants to give her the love she requires.

PS: Add DE23T1_ to the potential list of fictional vehicles I would HAFTA have.

Sold in a day on FB, with an ask of $5.3k

Untitled 2.jpg

I'm looking for a top shelf 71 like I had. OR a top shelf unknown 70 convertible OR my former convertible.

There's gotta be another 71 2 door Brougham with an option list to your elbow, in great rust free original condition in a great color combination hiding. Gotta be!

Back