NOT MINE 1971 Polara 2dr near Louisville, KY (360, primer grey)

ayilar

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
DE23K1D320627 first showed up for sale on CL Indianapolis, IN on July 27 with an ask of $4,800. That initial ad is now down, but its content and photos have been reposted by the same seller on CL Louisville two days ago, with an asking price lowered by $1k down to $3,800 (Edit, 8-8-2023: the FB ad for the same car still has the original $4.8k ask).

In both cases, the car is incorrectly listed as a 1970 even though, from the VIN, we can see that it is one of the very last 1971 model-year Polaras (the highest VIN I have for that year is DE43G1D322102 -- a GK6 4dr hardtop that @Duffman listed for sale on FCBO in July 2022, see the fender tag below showing a SBD of July 1, 1971):

1691399477395.png
).

The paint is clearly not original, but the remnants of the original on the sail panels suggest that it may have been GF3 or GJ4 with vinyl top (credit to @71Polara383 if it is). Note that the firewall seems to have been repainted in the engine bay (unless it was originally GA8).

The dash and door panels look either black or (less likely) green. If the latter, then the Hamtramck Registry Library indicates that this car would have been built with the basic F1F7 green fabric and vinyl interior (there was no green all-vinyl choice for the 1971 base Polara). If the former (most likely), then it has either F1X9 or F2X9 as the interior code.

From the Kentucky ad (with minor edits):

"This vehicle was sitting for years and I rescued (it) after the previous owner of 29 years passed away. As a former Dodge mechanic, I was working on these cars when I was 20 years old. They hold a special place in my heart. It runs and drives and would be a good car to turn into a muscle car or drive it the way it is. If you are a Mopar person, this would be a great car for you. This car has 4 new tires and can be driven home today. Call Roy me for more information."

00a0a_cFmMinoTrMe_0l90cS_1200x900.jpg

00505_ptws1JNpGA_0jv0eA_1200x900.jpg

00z0z_hZlTwvg0UpJ_0n10e9_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_anBbQp5ZlR2_0nB0dt_1200x900.jpg

00H0H_fnMEXbweEcj_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00202_5PPlc3dYfhF_0i90gj_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_53OdOQtNOCg_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

00s0s_aM0fXHQcExJ_0pO0jm_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:
I was not impressed with it at $4800, but at $3800 it has some potential.
Thought about posting it, but then decided 'nah, @ayilar will do it, it's a Dodge'. :)

Although not original seat coverings, at least they are serviceable as-is. But FWIW they look like pull-over coverings.
It looks like a straight honest car underneath the ugliness.
And it has been de-cluttered and vacuumed on the inside, at least.
Potential buyers will want to know more about the rust, whether just skin or deeper than what is visible. (due to the studdable snow tire as a spare and original-type mat)

Looking underhood, this statement made me SMH:
As a former Dodge mechanic, I was working on these cars when I was 20 years old. They hold a special place in my heart. It runs and drives...

Presumably the vacuum hoses are undone due to aircleaner being off for evaluation, but where's the hold-down stud, and look at the alternator bracket!
I wanted to email and ask if this was a pre- or post-repair photo, to see if this guy had any mechanic's skills, but decided I had no true need for the answer.

A 5.2 or 5.9 Magnum would make it into a great DD.

Hum great.. what engine is it ?
I am looking for a car for the family and maybe i can do somerhibg with my 71 polara with this one..

The VIN says originally a 318, the air cleaner is from a larger-carb 360.
But that could've been added with an adapter.

FWIW, the passenger-side VC breather looks to be a 71-only multi-nipple type.

The air cleaner looks like it's just sitting on top of the carb. I don't see any stud coming through the hole. And the breather isn't hooked up.

Thanks. I have an entire 318 71 polara for it. So..
318 is fine for me i had enough 440..

The dash and steering column are dark green. I would guess the other interior panels have been painted or swapped.

The dash and steering column are dark green. I would guess the other interior panels have been painted or swapped.
The dash color is very hard to tell from the photos. My money is still on black, but it could be green as I noted.

I contacted him but no answer for now.. maybe you will have more luck. Some people does not answer to people oversea. :(

I contacted him but no answer for now.. maybe you will have more luck. Some people does not answer to people oversea. :(
I contacted him too, before posting here, with questions about the car. No response. Perhaps someone local might have more luck. @Triple Pickle

The second part of your first sentence is correct, but the first part is not. The fender tag that I posted in the OP is for another car (DE43G1D322102), a 4dr hardtop that indeed has the base 318 engine. The VIN of the green/gray car is DE23K1D320627 -- so she came from the factory with a 360 (which explains the air cleaner).

I contacted him too, before posting here, with questions about the car. No response. Perhaps someone local might have more luck. @Triple Pickle
I’m not close to Louisville. Sounds like another flakey seller. It does seem to be a decent price if the underside is in good shape.

I’m not close to Louisville. Sounds like another flakey seller. It does seem to be a decent price if the underside is in good shape.
The body rot on the left side kept me from going to get it when it was listed.
The more I look at it the more I wanna help it.

The body rot on the left side kept me from going to get it when it was listed.
The more I look at it the more I wanna help it.
I’m kinda looking for a two door fusie but this one is a little too rough for me . I’ve been spoiled with my last two cars being in good condition when purchased. I’m getting older and lazier and just don’t have the energy for a project that needs everything.

This car doesn't need everything. Though if it were mine I'd probably touch everything, so I get it.

This car doesn't need everything. Though if it were mine I'd probably touch everything, so I get it.
Yeah, that’s me. What it needs just to drive around and enjoy probably wouldn’t be too bad. I couldn’t stand those seats or wheels personally.
You never know what you’re getting into with these cars until you buy them and start taking them apart. Always some surprises lurking under the surface and they might be good or bad.
I’ll say this though: if I wanted the car and the seller would respond, it would already be sitting in my driveway. At that price you can’t get hurt too bad for something that is drive home condition!

The second part of your first sentence is correct, but the first part is not. The fender tag that I posted in the OP is for another car (DE43G1D322102), a 4dr hardtop that indeed has the base 318 engine. The VIN of the green/gray car is DE23K1D320627 -- so she came from the factory with a 360 (which explains the air cleaner).
Yes, I go the VIN confused, but on FB the seller says it's a 318.
It would certainly be possible that something has changed on the carb/air cleaner, or even the whole engine has been changed from 360 to 318.

Considering the missing alternator bracket, I wouldn't be putting much confidence in this seller to be accurate.

1691503754110.png

Remember this was the “Hot Rod Dodge” for about half the money a few years ago. Plenty of rust in all of the usual places including A posts. Pretty sketchy cowl door gaps…sagging body! Rebuilt at some point, easy starting 318. Originally Moss Lime. Seemed it had disc brakes. I was going to offer like a grand but passed.

Back