For Sale 1971 Sport Fury GT E-bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
For someone is not accustomed to see much in the way of floor pan rust like this, how did it get this way? Outside in or inside out. I understand some rust under a leaky heater core but this car has rust all the way behind the front seat.

When I bought that (B7 Blue with white interior) 71 SFGT around 1995 it was being used as a daily driver and family transport vehicle by folks who lived in Northern New Jersey where they use road salt. I was able to store it indoor most of the time that I had it before I sold it in 2005. It needed quarters, a trunk floor, the fenders needed patching and there were significant rust "bubbles" under the vinyl top so it may have needed a new roof skin. The car now in the hands of a serious collector who has another 71 SFGT and a 70 6BBL GT so I expect it will get a proper restoration one of these days.

I think the this triple green 71 GT is worth $7k - $8k. Just my opinion. I know of another green one that is for sale but not advertised that needs a total restoration that the owner is looking for $10k for. Besides these 2, where else is there one for sale? Anyone who wants one and knows of one for sale is keeping it to themselves because they are so hard to find. I personally know of 3 of them that were junked and the survival rate for these cars seams to be very low.

Road salt is the villain for the most part. You drive on wet, salt covered roads all winter and the salt starts to eat away at the sheet metal... That's from the bottom. From the top, the carpet gets soaked from dragging the snow in every time you get in the car. Some cars never are given the chance to dry out and the soaked carpet (quite often stained white from salt) and padding hold the moisture against the sheet metal year round.

There are ways to battle it... regular washing, including an undercarriage wash will help, but most people never bothered with such things back then.

A lot of the fuselage Furys had windshield and rear window leaks due to poor fit and poor quality control that resulted in water running down and under the carpet and padding causing rust and rot just like C Body convertibles where the drains could not handle heavy rain and rain water ended up under the carpet in the rear floor pans.

A lot of the fuselage Furys had windshield and rear window leaks due to poor fit and poor quality control that resulted in water running down and under the carpet and padding causing rust and rot just like C Body convertibles where the drains could not handle heavy rain and rain water ended up under the carpet in the rear floor pans.
This is true too.

A lot of these cars leaked like sieves. The worst ones I ever encountered were the cars with the cheap rubber mats. I bought a nice 63 Dodge 330 once with a rubber floor mat. The car floors looked solid from underneath except for a small rust hole under where the drivers feet would be. When I got it home and pulled up the mat, I discovered the entire floor was paper thin... not rotted through, but a poke with a screwdriver could make a hole anywhere.

I have heard what Murray wants for the car. If you are a serious SFGT collector and know how hard these cars are to find you will pay the price and yes, you may be upside down after the restoration but with any C Body you have to restore the car because you love it and plan on keeping it for ever.

If you are a bargain hunter, this car is not for you. In fact, unless you find one in a barn and the owner does not know what they have there will be no bargains on any GT that comes up for sale as the demand far outweighs the availability.

Keep in mind what the asking price was for the burgundy 71 SFGT in Seattle that was advertised 3 - 4 months ago and while that car ran and drove nice it needed a major restoration and needed a lot of interior work including work on the door panels and matching rear panels, which are VERY hard to find in good condition. Then there is the black 71 SFGT that sold for around $28k that looked great but someone posted more photos later on and some of the graphics were not correct and the underside of the car had more than a fair amount of rust scale so if someone other than a flipper had bought that car, they would have been spending several thousand making it perfect.

Neat to see another one has survived this far. A car like this could have been easily scrapped and crushed long ago. I am interested in getting a Sport Fury GT but what I don't need is another project. That is a pretty big one for anyone to take on, but would be worthwhile if you could get it done.

The real bonus is this car has its 5 original wheels, one original tire, 3 trim rings and all 4 centres.

Best of luck if somewhere here is able to buy it.

Dave

Road salt

There are ways to battle it... regular washing, including an undercarriage wash will help, but most people never bothered with such things back then.

Shoot, I'm so lazy that I don't like making the effort to wash my own undercarriage! I can't imagine getting motivated to wash a salty C body on a regular basis :D

All vehicles from, "back in the day", rusted like it was part of their job if they were in a northern/cold climate. Mine came from CA and didn't have a spot of rot.

this makes the 71 SFGT that was just advertised/sold on Moparts for $1995 deal of the decade. Wonder if it's the same car?

IMG_3969.JPG
$2K

I know the guy that bought the one for $1995, and it wasn't Murray even though it looked similar.................

It too was green.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back