1971 Sport Fury GT - New Owner of the Vegas GT

and....How did you find out it was for sale or did you have to put your name on a list? most of these unusual cars are known to only a few select, am I correct?
Believe it or not I did a Google search for "1971 Sport Fury GT for sale." and someone on FCBO actually had a picture of it and the owner's number. I gave him a call and worked out a deal. He was only 20 minutes from my house

I was there and remember seeing it. Can't remember the asking price but it was pretty high at the time.

I made an offer of 7K and he accepted. By the time I went to the bank and got the money he was wavering on the price. I ended up paying $7500 for it. Both were happy. He said he had a lot of tire kickers but I was the first one to show up with cash. I think he was tired of all the phone calls and was glad to get rid of it.

and....How did you find out it was for sale or did you have to put your name on a list? most of these unusual cars are known to only a few select, am I correct?

I just did a Google search. It led me to FCBO which had a picture of it and the owner's phone number. I lucked out it was only 20 min from my home.

Nice!!!! Did/do you find/have the build sheet.....
Did Lewis knew the history of the GT....?
I talked to him but can,t remember....
Yes, Lewis bought it from the original owner in California. He drove it until 1999 then it sat in his backyard in Vegas till 2020 when I bought it. When I bought it I asked if I needed to bring friends over to push it out and he said, "no, I will just drive it out." And he did.

Very nice score. Congrats on getting PP23U1D177936 — she is GY9 like Medina (my 1971 Monaco) was when she was born. The color is great in the sun, less so in the shade. For this SFGT, I’d keep the paint original but would install a new correct gold top and restore the black interior—very nice combo!

Last edited:
My recall is that another GT owner who attended the MOPAR show in Las Vegas had told me that Lewis had brought the car there on a trailer at least once trying to sell it.

Very nice ride. I love 70 and 71 Sport Fury's. GT's are even better.

Well bought!

While I've normally been a bigger fan of the '70 vs. '71, I'm really liking this car. I'm definitely jealous.

Hello everyone, I just thought I would show some pictures of my 71 Fury GT that I bought last year. . The color is GY9 - which I have mixed feelings about - but it is a GT.

I agree with you on the color, but that's just a part of owning one of these GT's. They are so rare that you really shouldn't do a color change, and at the same time that rarity means you can't be too choosy on colors when one comes up for sale. At this point in time, I'm going to assume that this is the only Tawny Gold GT that we know of, and that's really going to lock you in on the color. A friend of mine owns the only known Tawny Gold '71 Hemi Roadrunner, which a previous owner painted black, and I can guarantee that the car will be going back to GY9 when the time comes.

I'm going to risk a peppering of red X's and tell you what I would do, and I preface this with the admission that I'm not a stickler for originality. I'd definitely stay with the Tawny Gold and the gold top, but change the interior to gold. I'd also go with the gold stripes. It would basically be Can Critter's car in GY9. I think that would really be a sharp combo that would turn heads everywhere it went. I'd also option it up with power windows, seat, console, etc, but that's just a personal problem that I have because I got spoiled early on in my C body experience with a loaded car. Nothing that can't be put back to stock if someone so chose to do so.

Again, a great purchase, and I look forward to seeing how things go with it.

Jeff

Nice.....I looked at that car when he had it advertised on Craigslist back in 2014. Price then was $14k which was way too high. Glad you got it at a fair price. A true "cash talks" scenario.

I was in Vegas for work, ended up talking to Lewis for well over an hour checking out all the stuff at his house. He was quite a character.

It is nice that your 71 GT has the correct wheel package including the centers. You would have a hard time finding those if any of the parts was missing.
Nice purchase.

I pondered buying the car when Lewis had it at the same meet many years prior but already had one at the time.

You purchased it at a good price I believe.

Congrats! Back in late 1970 my dad bought a new '71 Dodge Monaco in Y9, with the same gold vinyl top and a gold interior. That was one sharp car. The paint and what Chrysler called "gold" for a metallic vinyl roof (actually a darker shade than most golds) were a perfect match for each other, and the lighter gold interior went with it very well. Y9 is a beautiful paint when fresh, a very dark gold with just a hint of green to it.

Congrats! Back in late 1970 my dad bought a new '71 Dodge Monaco in Y9, with the same gold vinyl top and a gold interior. That was one sharp car. The paint and what Chrysler called "gold" for a metallic vinyl roof (actually a darker shade than most golds) were a perfect match for each other, and the lighter gold interior went with it very well. Y9 is a beautiful paint when fresh, a very dark gold with just a hint of green to it.
Indeed, the V1Y gold top has a hint of green in it, and so it goes very well with GY9. I'd love to hear/see more of your Dad's '71 Monaco -- do you have old pictures, option info (let's dream, the fender tag), and the story of the car?

Here is mine ("Medina") in her original livery, GY9 with V1W white vinyl top. The green dominates in overcast weather:
upload_2021-2-24_10-49-18.png

The link below leads to an example of a 1971 Challenger that was up for auction by the first owner back in 2015. Original Dark Gold paint and Gold vinyl top, with under 2k miles since new. This will be my benchmark for how the original GY9 paint should look after 45 years:

1971 Dodge Hemi Challenger R/T | S136 | Kissimmee 2015 | Mecum Auctions

Last edited:
Nice! The '70-71s are among my favorite Fusies - and big Plymouths in general.

My first car was a '73 Scamp in JY9 with golden tan vinyl top and interior. The paint was like a mirror and looked really sharp.

Hi Everyone! First congrats on the GT ,I happen to have one as well fresh out of storage in the same color!! Please welcome another GT to the family
20210312_120904.jpg

Back