1971 Sport Fury project

Greg Ficklin

Reaction score
I've had this car for nearly 30 years. I let all my parts cars go, I sold my 70 GT like an idiot, now it's in Germany. I kept my 71 thinking someday I will really do something with it. Now I'm ready. If I don't do it, this rare PH23 will eventually be lost. I'm thinking just get a rotisserie, and go for it. It has rust in the lower quarters, trunk, and I need to find a good deck lid. The rotisserie will save money, and time in the long run, and mean that the car will really be preserved longer than I will have it. Some member of this forum will someday thank me. What will it cost ? Who knows, but any resale value it will have will be enjoyed by someone else. It's mine until the Lord takes me. This car will go on, and it will be worth it to me, and some C-body fan in the future to say I did it right.
If any of you guys see good fenders, or a deck lid let me know.

My Fury 2.jpg

Was your GT E6 red or golden outside? Those are the only GTs known to me in Germany

Your car looks very doable. What engine is in it - since they had the orange HP 440 standard and yours is blue? Very nice looking white bucket seat interior too. How many miles on it? Do you have a photo of the body code plate?

Was your GT E6 red or golden outside? Those are the only GTs known to me in Germany
Mine was the red one I had on the registry. That's how the guy in Germany contacted me to show me he got it fixed. It had a mashed in rear quarter, and i thought I could never fix it, so I let it go. It was a number matching 440 T code, sure grip, console, rim blow ect ...ect. I can't believe i let it go.

Your car looks very doable. What engine is in it - since they had the orange HP 440 standard and yours is blue? Very nice looking white bucket seat interior too. How many miles on it? Do you have a photo of the body code plate?
It is (was) a 383 2 bbl. Not an S/23. Those would have the 4 bbl, and side stripe. Mine has the boatish side moldings. When I rebuilt the engine a long time ago, I went with the MP dual plane , and AVS, HP exhaust, electronic dist, and 268/284 cam. I'm 53 now, so I want it to match the fender tag minus the side moldings, and do a SG on the axle like a S/23 clone.

71SF data plate.jpg

I have a couple of good used deck lids. $50.00. Can deliver one to Carlisle in July. I have hoods as well.

It will go back Mood Indigo Poly, white vinyl top, white interior. It has an electric pass bucket, center arm pad, and hump mounted cassette player. If I'm successful, it will be the sweetest non GT PH23 in the country.

I have a couple of good used deck lids. $50.00. Can deliver one to Carlisle in July. I have hoods as well.
I got to go to Camp Perry in July, but I got friends in PA, so I think we can work it out one way or another. I need to go to Carlisle.

Last edited:
Mine was the red one I had on the registry. That's how the guy in Germany contacted me to show me he got it fixed. It had a mashed in rear quarter, and i thought I could never fix it, so I let it go. It was a number matching 440 T code, sure grip, console, rim blow ect ...ect. I can't believe i let it go.

Well good thing is it went to the most enthusiastic Mopar maniac in Europe. He got the rear quarter fixed and drives it as is.
1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT
that´s the thread to this car.

I´m looking forward to this resto, C8 Mood indigo, if it´s done it´s going to be one of the rarest Mopars alive

So you moved…..i thought it was for sale that time in the SF area...….?!

It came from Seattle area. Had a friend in Yakima to pick it up and ship to me in SC. It was all there. I really regret letting it go now, but at the time I wasn't as attached to it because it was an extra car with a bashed in fender that I couldn't find.

I chime in because I own your old ER6 red SFGT and have been in contact with you via e-mail.

When it was available for sale back in 2014 it was advertised for sale in Modesto, California.
So when you sold it back then being in South Carolina it went back to the US westcoast. The guy at the westcoast had it for some years and collected parts, too AFAIK.

I did not buy it from Greg as he wasn't the last US owner

Carsten

I'm rethinking the full disassembly approach. Minor mechanical issues of radiator leaking, brakes, and electrical, and gas tank are being addressed. Looking underneath makes me think that the rotisserie may be too much. I can't start the major body work until I can get it in the dry of the garage. The garage project has to be done first. My 24'X 24' garage had a load bearing wall when built by the original owner of the house. We installed a span beam and took down the wall, but I need a steel beam because it was starting to sag. I also need to build an addition to the garage to safely keep everything I remove from the car. I need an air compressor big enough to do some blasting, painting, and run air tools. I hope to get it inside in a few weeks, then I'll be posting the progress.

Back