1972 400CI motor

In 1983 I bought a 69 Polara 500 for $85.00. I pulled the 383-2 out for my 71 Polara. Once out I could see Orange paint under the blue . I asked around about the color variation. The locals schooled me on big blocks and what I had. . I learned what I had was a early build ( 1971) 1972 400 HP engine. . It must have been transplanted in that 69 at some point with the original 2 barrel kept under the hood.
I put it between the fenders of the 71 with Hooker headers and a Thermoquad. That 400 to this day was my most reliable, favorite engine. I eventually snapped the cam in 3 and no longer kept the 400.
Whats My point behind this useless banter? 36 years later I still wish I knew what that 400 engine was originally installed in from the factory.

that 400 can be stroked n bored to 500 plus inches . check 440 source . and there are many other engine kits out there . you could just rb crank it , 451 without a bore job .
Thanks for all the input...…...I'm learning quite a bit about the MOPAR 400CI motor.
The guy who sold me the car, with ONLY 2200 miles on a fresh rebuild, told me it was a 383CI as the hood states......LOL
I've owned it for four years and still have LESS than 5,000 miles on it.
I posted, on this thread, what was done to the motor. All I can say is that it is one fast ride...………….
I wonder if he even knew it was a 400CI. The ONLY question I now have is, ¿ What MOPARS took the block with the extra thick webbing; and WHY?
I guess if it was a COP car, it is all starting to make sense.

What I know for sure is that it is a THICK WEBBING 400CI; 1972; and "C" make at the Jefferson Ave, Detroit, plant.

My research so far revealed that the 1972 Chrysler Newport and Town & Country have the engine ID# on the LH rear block near the oil pan like the 440CI motor does.

On the other hand, the DODGE Challenger; Coronet; and Polara, have the engine ID# on the RH adjacent to the distributor. THIS IS WHERE MY BLOCK HAS THE ID#.

The Plymouth Fury; Satellite Custom; Satellite Sebring; Scamp; and Roadrunner ALSO have the engine ID# on the RH adjacent to the distributor, just like my block.
Also came across info that the "A" on the stamped block number ( 17782 A) signifies EXTRA BORE. Kind of makes sense since the engine has a FORGED CRANK, like BIG JOHN, stated, it most likely came out of a COP CAR. That kind of reminds me, I will have to post a picture of MY FIRST MOPAR...……...I used to drive it like I stole it. Loved to drive that BEAST! I believe they were 1975 and '76 Plymouths.

I guess that if anyone out there has a VIN# with the SIXTH digit being a 2 and followed by C208217. I have your motor...…………...LOL

Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

Last edited:
In 1983 I bought a 69 Polara 500 for $85.00. I pulled the 383-2 out for my 71 Polara. Once out I could see Orange paint under the blue . I asked around about the color variation. The locals schooled me on big blocks and what I had. . I learned what I had was a early build ( 1971) 1972 400 HP engine. . It must have been transplanted in that 69 at some point with the original 2 barrel kept under the hood.
I put it between the fenders of the 71 with Hooker headers and a Thermoquad. That 400 to this day was my most reliable, favorite engine. I eventually snapped the cam in 3 and no longer kept the 400.
Whats My point behind this useless banter? 36 years later I still wish I knew what that 400 engine was originally installed in from the factory.

Hi,
My two cents, and I'm flying the seat of my pants on MOPARS. The 400CI came out in 1972 and ended in 1978. The block casting would have revealed at least the year. The engine ID# the year and plant where built. Someone suggested that the Jefferson Ave, Detroit plant ONLY built 400CI for "C" body cars...…..I have not confirmed that yet.
My research revealed that the 1972 Dodge Polara was available with a 400CI motor.
LG,
Mike

Thanks for all the input...…...I'm learning quite a bit about the MOPAR 400CI motor.
The guy who sold me the car, with ONLY 2200 miles on a fresh rebuild, told me it was a 383CI as the hood states......LOL
I've owned it for four years and still have LESS than 5,000 miles on it.
I posted, on this thread, what was done to the motor. All I can say is that it is one fast ride...………….
I wonder if he even knew it was a 400CI. The ONLY question I now have is, ¿ What MOPARS took the block with the extra thick webbing; and WHY?
I guess if it was a COP car, it is all starting to make sense.

What I know for sure is that it is a THICK WEBBING 400CI; 1972; and "C" make at the Jefferson Ave, Detroit, plant.

My research so far revealed that the 1972 Chrysler Newport and Town & Country have the engine ID# on the LH rear block near the oil pan like the 440CI motor does.

On the other hand, the DODGE Challenger; Coronet; and Polara, have the engine ID# on the RH adjacent to the distributor. THIS IS WHERE MY BLOCK HAS THE ID#.

The Plymouth Fury; Satellite Custom; Satellite Sebring; Scamp; and Roadrunner ALSO have the engine ID# on the RH adjacent to the distributor, just like my block.
Also came across info that the "A" on the stamped block number ( 17782 A) signifies EXTRA BORE. Kind of makes sense since the engine has a FORGED CRANK, like BIG JOHN, stated, it most likely came out of a COP CAR. That kind of reminds me, I will have to post a picture of MY FIRST MOPAR...……...I used to drive it like I stole it. Loved to drive that BEAST! I believe they were 1975 and '76 Plymouths.

I guess that if anyone out there has a VIN# with the SIXTH digit being a 2 and followed by C08217. I have your motor...…………...LOL

Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

Plymouth.jpg

70bigblockdodge said:
What numbers/letters are on pad in front of the passenger side head? Read left to right top to bottom standing looking over the pass fender.
400 was made until, 78-79.

I would like to know how to DECODE this number.

Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

engine number- lower left bottom- 808.jpg

On the block is a section of machined pad (same as deck surface that the head bolts to). It will have the info on it. It is hidden under the distributor/behind the alternator. The numbers on the passenger side rail above to oil pan is the sequence number, or last digits of the VIN the A is most likely "A" line. Later cars did not always put the whole VIN on that pad by the rail.
The one up by the dist will give you year, date, irregularities, HP designation
Model A looks cool.

My two cents...

You have a 400 block with a forged crank. If it was out of a C-body, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a cop car because of the forged crank as I think most of the passenger cars had cast cranks. But, it really doesn't matter squat about what car it came from as they were all alike.

Looking at your car, you have a Holley carb, Edelbrock manifold, Hooker headers, most likely some sort of upgraded electronic ignition, aluminum radiator etc.

Walking into a parts counter isn't going to be easy for you. It's all non stock parts... Let's give an example... You need plug wires. Well, OK, you have headers so a stock set isn't going to fit. Now you are looking at a generic wire set. Need plugs? Unscrew one and get the part number because after all those mods, the stock heat range for a '72 Fury or a '69 Roadrunner might not work with whatever the entire combination is.

The only time that the 400 block is going to come into play is if you need a crank, rods or pistons. All the rest is interchangeable with '69 383 stuff. The bolt ons are going to be what determines what you buy for your car, not the 400 block.

Of course, what do I know?

The sparkplugs are "AUTOLITE AP85". Have no idea of the heat range but they seem to work great so I will be replacing them with the same plug when the time comes.
Thanks again,
LG,
Mike

Back