Which C-bodies would have gotten a 440 HP engine in 1972?

19_Dart_68

Reaction score
Trying to figure out where my 1972 440HP came from. ID pad is H440 HP which is obvious
Oil pan rail number is 2FXXXXXX - From what I am seeing on the webs = 2 door, F - Newark Plant ?, 2 ( B-pillared hardtop) ?

It also has a C-body oil pan on it. Previous owner said it came out of a C-body before it went in his Cuda....

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:
Any C-body is possible except an Imperial, which isn’t a C-body anyway.

If I recall, I thought there were only 8 digits on the pan rail, last ones of the 13- digit VIN back then. model year, plant code, and last six digits of VIN.

I see saw TWO "2"'s, and "F" and six "X"'s for last six of VIN? One of those "2"'s I guess would mean "1972", and an "F" is "Newark" (Delaware) .. then the six digits of VIN/sequence number.

I am going by memory so take what I said with seeking to get a confirmation. Dunno what Delaware was building in 1972 MY.

Cop and Taxi C's were advertised to have "U" code, "E86" 440's available ... though examples of "civilian" C's with them surely exist.

Good luck and sorry if I confused the situation... somebody with straighten me out.

Last edited:
If I recall, I thought there were only 8 digits on the pan rail, last ones of the 13- digit VIN back then. model year, plant code, and last six digits of VIN.

I see TWO "2"'s, and "F" and six "X"'s for last six of VIN? One of those "2"'s I guess would mean "1972", and an "F" is "Newark" (Delaware) .. then the six digits of VIN.

I am going by memory so take what I said with seeking to get a confirmation. Dunno what Delaware was building in 1972 MY.

Cop and Taxi C's were advertised to have "U" code, "E86" 440's available ... though examples of "civilian" C's with them surely exist.

Good luck and sorry if I confused the situation... somebody with straighten me out.
You are correct. I had too many X's in there...

That is kind of what I heard as well, because they were being phased out they could have gone into anything....And also could have had six pack bottom ends and stuff like that...

Remember the gasoline issues due to the Arab oil embargo of the 1972 timeframe? Fuel rationing and such, too? ANYTHING with a 4bbl and dual exhausts was considered a "gas hog" and "cold inventory" on dealers' lots, back then. Which means that ONLY law enforcement-type vehicles would have gotten a 440HP (which was not very "HP" by that point in time), in the reality as I recall it. A single exhaust normal 440 might have been questioned, but tolerated, by comparison.

You can check the "Library" section of www.hamtramck-historical.com to see which 440s might have been offered in C-bodies in 1972.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

You are correct. I had too many X's in there...

That is kind of what I heard as well, because they were being phased out they could have gone into anything....And also could have had six pack bottom ends and stuff like that...

I sold a 1972 U code 440 from a police car to a fellow member on here and it had six pack rods.

Trying to figure out where my 1972 440HP came from. ID pad is H440 HP which is obvious
Oil pan rail number is 2FXXXXXX - From what I am seeing on the webs = 2 door, F - Newark Plant ?, 2 ( B-pillared hardtop) ?

It also has a C-body oil pan on it. Previous owner said it came out of a C-body before it went in his Cuda....

Thanks in advance for any help.
From what i gather the last 6 digits are the sequence number. 2F would indicate a 1972 dodge polara or Plymouth Fury, as F is Newark Delaware plant. If it has an HP stamp and C body pan I'd say it's a police car plant. It should have a windage tray i believe, that'd be another thing to check for.
My dad use to own a '72 Fury III, for example, it was a motor vehicle scale car and a U code. It's engine would've had the HP stamp and 2F201942 on the oil pan rail.

I sold a 1972 U code 440 from a police car to a fellow member on here and it had six pack rods.
And a windage tray...
IMG_2761.JPG

And chrome-moly top rings and a double-roller timing chain. From the "Specs" section of the Dealer Order Guide. The windage tray and these things existed well into the middle 1970s on the 400HO and 440HO motors. PLUS the old HP cam, according to the order guides. Which made the later model HO motors sound like a '68 HP motor with a lower compression ratio. IIRC

CBODY67

basically any C body except for an Imperial or a wagon ( some people get confused because 440 wagons had a dual snorkel but they werent U codes)

Back