For Sale 1972 Fury III Coupe in Lewiston, ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownbuick

Reaction score
Contact seller
Okay, lots of people have been asking me about the red '72 I need to sell, so I took some photos of it today. It's not actually quite ready to sell for another week or so, but I'll give you guys first chance before it goes on Craigslist. First off, it's *not* orange! It's so bright out today that it's messing with my camera, and making it look like a red car that's bleached out in the sun. It's actually Viper red, code PRN if I remember right, painted in urethane basecoat/clearcoat. This one is a 360 car with A/C, and almost no other options at all, which I find kind of interesting.

It was an elderly lady's car in Spokane, Washington, and she managed to scrape both sides of it, mutilating the side moldings and leaving shallow dents. It then went to a young guy who had it for a couple of years and added aftermarket gauges under the dash and a Pertronix ignition. I bought it from him about ten years ago, drove it for a year, then took care of the body and paint. At that time I removed the remains of the vinyl top, closed the holes for the moldings, and switched the rear markers to a pair of reproduction B-body pieces as I thought they looked cleaner. It had the typical rot in the lower quarters, so I made replacement pieces and put them in. It was originally a red car, but I went with the Viper red to make it just a bit (okay, maybe a lot) brighter. I also put a new heater core in it at that time, which cost me $300 to have fabricated at a radiator shop. Sadly, it then lost it's rear main seal bad enough that you couldn't drive uphill without pouring oil on the hot exhaust crossover (a quart in about 20 minutes) so it then sat in front of my house for eight years in the sun while I dealt with other business, which killed the dash pad and the seats.

Currently, I'd say the body and paint are nice driver quality, but not perfect. There are a couple of runs in the clear, but since they're only in the clear, you should be able to cut them and buff them out. There are a couple of places where the bodywork has shrunk, revealing a some hasty sanding marks in the right side under the paint that show up if you look at it at a certain angle. It's surprisingly rust-free, though, with nice floors, doors, firewall, etc. There's a little scale on the subframe, but that's it- no serious rot. It also still has red overspray in the front fenderwells, which I never got around to cleaning off. The engine bay and trunk opening are the original paint, though the underside of the decklid was repainted with the body. What I think is most discouraging to me is that it's sitting under my neighbor's tree, and the stupid tree sap is discoloring the white paint on the roof. Not real bad, but it's there if you look for it up close- small dark discolored marks that probably won't buff out. Interior is very decent, other than the carpet, front seat covers, and dash pad. I also have a hidden headlight grille which has a chip in the surround, but is otherwise not busted up, and the electric motor for it. The picture shows it in a bumper, but I'm keeping the bumper itself- I need it for my sedan. Bumper on the red car is straight across, but does have a small dent in the left corner- a souvenir from the old lady's driving around Spokane. I also have the wheel opening moldings in the trunk, which I think would clean up fairly well. Also, the windshield has a split up the left side and should be replaced at some point.

Mechanically, it needs minor wrenching to be drivable. I put a fresh 408 small block in it a while back, but never finished hooking it up. My wife has since acquired the green '72 wagon which had a cracked block, so I'm pulling the 408 out and putting it in the wagon. I'd actually bought another 360 from a friend which is currently sitting in the wagon, so I'll take that engine out and put it in the red car. It's not rebuilt, but it does have new bearings, Summit cam, and roller timing set. I think it's a later-model 360, as the intake that's on it is a spreadbore with an EGR valve. I'm not going to guarantee anything about that motor, but it looked good when I saw it with the pan and intake off before I set it in the wagon. I'll also include the chrome Edelbrock valve covers that are in the picture, and a K&N air cleaner if you want it, as we don't plan on using those items on the wife's car. Oh, and I also put new U-joints in the driveshaft, which is currently in the trunk, along with the radiator and A/C compressor.

So here's the plan. I'm pulling out the 408 very soon and putting it in the wagon, and pulling the 360 from the wagon to put in the red car. Or, I could leave it out so you can have it completely gone though (and possibly built into another 408?) and install it yourself. Otherwise, I'll go ahead and set the 360 into the red car and bolt it down, and you'll have to finish hooking things up, find a carburetor for it, prime it, and start it with break-in oil for that new camshaft. I'm not interested in doing it, honestly, because I work a lot of hours and I just want to get the car out of here so I can move on.

That all said and done, does $3000 sound fair? It's in Lewiston, Idaho. I don't know if it can be shipped, since it doesn't run and although I put a master cylinder on it, that was ten years ago and it probably needs replaced- so I doubt it has brakes. My driveway's on a hill, so it's easy to back up to it with a pickup with a car trailer, but I don't see how it could be loaded easily on a larger transporter- sorry. Anyway, if anyone's interested, let me know. Once the 360 is set in it and bolted down I'll be putting it on Craigslist.

red72fury1.jpg

red72fury2.jpg

red72fury3.jpg

red72fury4.jpg

red72fury5.jpg

red72fury6.jpg

red72fury7.jpg

red72fury8.jpg

red72fury9.jpg

Here's the inside of the trunk. The seams are visible on both sides from where I attached the lower quarters, and the black mess is POR-15 I painted over the seam. There's also a piece of metal protruding from the right side where I had a "helper" weld in a patch that wasn't done too neatly. But overall, a pretty solid trunk.

trunk1.jpg

trunk2.jpg

trunk3.jpg

trunk4.jpg

trunk5.jpg

Here's the hideaway grille I have. I'm keeping the bumper, but I'll take the grille sections out and put them in the trunk or behind the seats. I have the motor for it and linkage rods, as well.

grille1.jpg

grille2.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the 360 that goes with the car, currently sitting in my wife's wagon. I don't have a carb (though you can keep the bikini girl T-shirt, I can make more of those since that's part of my job). The intake is a spreadbore with EGR. The valve covers aren't very nice, but I'll put the chrome Edelbrocks on it.

360engine.jpg

Last edited:
No hose, but I'll take the bikini girl t-shirt. :)
Nice car. Good luck with the sale.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I do have the belts and hoses in the trunk as well, though they're probably getting old. I'd put tires on it, too- never was a big fan of whitewalls anyway. The fan is also in there, and it's an aftermarket flex fan. I might have an extra clutch fan around here that will fit it, but I'd have to check.

Thanks! Just trying to make sure nobody's disappointed. That being said, it'll probably end up getting sold on craigslist to a non-c-body person anyway (that's usually how it goes for me). But, thought I'd try here first.

It's an FCBO joke. Every car for sale on craigslist, there is a garden hose in the background, somewhere in one of the pictures. I didn't believe it at first, but then you can't stop noticing it.

BTW, that's a smoking deal, somebody better step up and take this one off your hands.

Ah, thanks for telling me that it's a running joke, I was just about to get pissed off. I've been told by people in the past that it looks like a "pimp car" just because it's big and red and old. I've told those people to stuff it, because I don't give a damn if they like it or not. I've also already been told that the price is too high because someone else scored nicer cars for less. So what? I can be flexible, but there's no point in giving it away for free. If someone expects me to dump it for $1500 or some crap, I'd be better off to strip it for parts for my other cars- I could harvest a lot from it for the other '72s I have, the trunk floor could go in my '71, and the 360 could replace the tired one in my pickup. But I'd really prefer to see it go intact to someone who would appreciate it and enjoy it for what it is. A "nothing special" Fury is getting pretty special these days, in my opinion.

All right, sorry if I came off sounding too cranky, it's been a long day. So here's a follow-up to the garden hose joke. I'll attach a photo of the artwork I did for the bikini girl shirt that's stuffed in the intake. When I drew it, I put a garden hose in there, right up front- so I was thinking I could say I did, indeed, have a garden hose in the ad. But, I see that the shirt on the intake just happens to be folded so that the hose isn't in view. Dangit- so close, but not quite...

003.jpg

Hey, Brown Buick of Lewiston!
I sold you some C-body clutch pedal stuff years ago. Came across a set on ebay in Lewiston, asked the seller if it was you (because I saw my homemade clutchspring pin in the pictures!) and he said he got them from you. Small world.

GLWTS on this car. I think the non-running factor might limit your buyers, but I understand fully when you're too loaded up with projects putting a car back to running status just isn't worthwhile time-wise, but you gotta make the price high enough so the car doesn't get derbied. (same situation with the 65 SF in my sigline).

This looks to me like a prime car to receive a cleaned-up JY 5.9 Magnum with EFI and AC. Somebody step up and do it!

Hey, Brown Buick of Lewiston!
I sold you some C-body clutch pedal stuff years ago. Came across a set on ebay in Lewiston, asked the seller if it was you (because I saw my homemade clutchspring pin in the pictures!) and he said he got them from you. Small world.

GLWTS on this car. I think the non-running factor might limit your buyers, but I understand fully when you're too loaded up with projects putting a car back to running status just isn't worthwhile time-wise, but you gotta make the price high enough so the car doesn't get derbied. (same situation with the 65 SF in my sigline).

This looks to me like a prime car to receive a cleaned-up JY 5.9 Magnum with EFI and AC. Somebody step up and do it!

Hey, good to hear from you again! Yeah, when my town hit the skids in '08, most of my car stuff had to go- wow, has it been that long? Sad to hear that the stuff I'd collected for the 4-speed car got split up- it was a solid shell with drivetrain and I actually gave him a complete donor car for all the little stuff, it was actually a pretty straightforward project. Oh, well. I can't say much though, because if this thing languishes around under the tree for another year, it might end up being a donor as well. Adding up the price of every single part on that thing that I could re-use elsewhere, it'll cost me more to buy the pieces than what I'm asking for this car. But, I'd still rather not split it up just on principle. They don't make Plymouths anymore. That being said, I am a little flexible, and I'd also be willing to make a part trade on some parts, if anyone has body or interior stuff I could use to improve my other junkers.

Yep, it's been 'that long' or longer, I'm always amazed to look at datestamps on my pics and see how long ago it was where I actually accomplished something! (well, I still accomplish things, it's just not earth-shattering car stuff anymore. Anyone want to see the new colors in my dining room? )

"Sadly, it then lost it's rear main seal bad enough that you couldn't drive uphill without pouring oil on the hot exhaust crossover (a quart in about 20 minutes)..."

FWIW everybody, always check the oil pressure sending unit when a bad oil leak appears - the worst leaker I ever had was a 10-min fix with a new sender, and I felt sure it had to be a main seal to leak so bad. I was never so glad to be wrong!

Yep, it's been 'that long' or longer, I'm always amazed to look at datestamps on my pics and see how long ago it was where I actually accomplished something! (well, I still accomplish things, it's just not earth-shattering car stuff anymore. Anyone want to see the new colors in my dining room? )

"Sadly, it then lost it's rear main seal bad enough that you couldn't drive uphill without pouring oil on the hot exhaust crossover (a quart in about 20 minutes)..."

FWIW everybody, always check the oil pressure sending unit when a bad oil leak appears - the worst leaker I ever had was a 10-min fix with a new sender, and I felt sure it had to be a main seal to leak so bad. I was never so glad to be wrong!
Wow, that's a good tip for sure. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future. Unfortunately, this one was definitely at the back of the crank. The motor was pretty weak and had a lot of blowby already, so the mail seal was pretty much the last straw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back