NOT MINE 1972 Imperial $33,600 (Sold)

i would run the volvos on points if i could.

Well, I don't know about all that. But the little Mopar box on the fender/fire wall and the distributor is as far as I want to go at this point.
Carbs all the way.
I got cars from the 90s, they drive plenty good, rarely fail. But when it happens, they have a nasty habit of not saying anything ahead of time. At least the old stuff has the generosity to make it to a motel.
I take the big 64 on the long trips now. With a trunk full of the usual suspect spare parts.

I'm with you on the idea of eliminating computer cars. If I had it my way... I'd go completely analog. True freedom!!
I currently agree whole heartedly with the above statement. I've just spent past 4 days with an 06 911 with a key locked in the ignition with no way to remove but to ship to the dealer. Really burns my hind quarters because i can swing a wrench with best of them but this is computational brain box magic that is stopping me from success. So i get in my 02 325 after a week and that is throwing code after code of cam sensors and stalling as well as instrument cluster deciding to just stop altogether. So for lack of other mobility that i trust at the moment i swing by the storage unit to visit the old girl first time since 4th of july and fires up on second crank and leaks a little from the fuel line to carb two twists and right as rain. so if you know anyone in the market for a 911 let me know. Im changing my fleet from european to old reliable machines that you can fix with a wrench and beer.

I'm a bit perturbed that we are even considering abandoning late model cars. Actually, I have a decidedly nasty attitude about the whole mess. For a while I thought maybe I just didn't want to spend the 1k a month. But no, it goes to the core of reliability and usability. If I drive a 5 to10 year old car, I'm probably going to get burned.

I currently agree whole heartedly with the above statement. I've just spent past 4 days with an 06 911 with a key locked in the ignition with no way to remove but to ship to the dealer. Really burns my hind quarters because i can swing a wrench with best of them but this is computational brain box magic that is stopping me from success. So i get in my 02 325 after a week and that is throwing code after code of cam sensors and stalling as well as instrument cluster deciding to just stop altogether. So for lack of other mobility that i trust at the moment i swing by the storage unit to visit the old girl first time since 4th of july and fires up on second crank and leaks a little from the fuel line to carb two twists and right as rain. so if you know anyone in the market for a 911 let me know. Im changing my fleet from european to old reliable machines that you can fix with a wrench and beer.

So, what do we have to do to these old cars to get them to the point that they are just as appealing and nice to drive as late model stuff?
If we take a harder look at it from a pragmatic point of view, it may be justified.

Variable ratio steering box, suspension tune, distributor recurve, carb dial in, sound deadening package, premium sound system, premium wheel and tire package, ceramic window tint, leather seat and spring rework, 4sp overdrive with 3.91 rear.
I bet it cost tons less than a 50k car over time, and tons more sustainable to.

What other mods/updates do these cars need?

My old Mopars are my daily drivers . I spent the last 30 years selling new high end cars and I guess I just take them for granted now . Besides I only have room for so many cars and 1 of those spots has to be for Melissas newer Acura .
Not to mention that instead of a new car payment I choose to use that money on old cars .

So, what do we have to do to these old cars to get them to the point that they are just as appealing and nice to drive as late model stuff?
If we take a harder look at it from a pragmatic point of view, it may be justified.

Variable ratio steering box, suspension tune, distributor recurve, carb dial in, sound deadening package, premium sound system, premium wheel and tire package, ceramic window tint, leather seat and spring rework, 4sp overdrive with 3.91 rear.
I bet it cost tons less than a 50k car over time, and tons more sustainable to.

What other mods/updates do these cars need?
One of my current daily drivers is my 1968 Bronco. It has a very simple 1990 Mustang 5.0 with fuel injection, power steering conversion, front disc brakes, a NP-435 truck transmission, Air conditioning, and a retro stereo that looks stock. No matter how many miles I put on it, it continues to appreciate in value. The 66 Chrysler New Yorker is my weekend vehicle of choice as it is smooth, quiet and comfortable and great for weekend drives. I will not make any modifications other than disc brakes to the Chrysler. I will do everything I can to maintain it and keep it running perfect and I'm sure it will retain its value better than any modern or late model car.

20210401_130522.jpg

Ok much more representative of a low mileage clean car. Not like the black 2dr respray that was posted here a while back that west coast classics has still failed to sell at 49 now dropped to 42 Have yet to see even one bid.
I browsed that black '69 coupe while I was shopping. I agree it seems high even at the lower price.

And the red 2 door on eBay ended up 6k high bid...I think 33k is no indication for what c bodies bring, it's more a proof that if you're lucky enough you might find someone with too much money who's willing to pay whatever you ask.. I paid half for this one... and before I bought it I asked several 2 door owners what they paid/think was a fair price.15-20k is what a coupe brings, a 4 door is less. Not always apparently but if you're famous you can even sell your used underwear for thousands so value is a relative thing

View attachment 616243
Marv Please tell us about your three 81-83 Imperials in the back ground. Two Franks? Love your red 72 Coupe! Is this the Imp you restored? We have chatted on another forem about your yellow 72 your parting out. My two Franks, The non sun roof 82 I recently sold. My 81 Frank with sun roof and still injected! One of about none with still working EFI, Frank Sinatra and sun roof!

IMG_20230918_115300.jpg

Last edited:
@glennb49 you're right with most you've said but I'm not him. I bought the red 73 off of him. The yellow 73 is in the process of being parted. One of the blue cars is a daily driver, the other one is a Frank but has been sold. Not sure about the golden cars status

I do like those Frank Sinatra specials. Mostly because I like most of Frank's music and some of his movies.

@Marv Did you really purchase the red imp for 6K on ebay? Or did I miss something? That is one slick looking Imperial !!

YM43T2C137273 , just for search records.

I do like those Frank Sinatra specials. Mostly because I like most of Frank's music and some of his movies.

@Marv Did you really purchase the red imp for 6K on ebay? Or did I miss something? That is one slick looking Imperial !!

YM43T2C137273 , just for search records.

No the red one from eBay was "Little Blood" a 1972 coupe that @DocMcNeedy used to own and now is with @Moseman ... I think it didn't sell at 6k. Reserve not met. The one I bought is a 73 coupe, almost matching options but this one was never offered on the internet

Why did you let her go ?
I unfortunately thinned the herd during the early scare of the Virus in 2020-2021. We were forced to shut down the clinics with no assurance when we could re-open. I didn't know then what I know now. It was a knee jerk reaction, and it was a mistake by me.

I would love to have Lil Red back. I'm not sure if Moseman sold it or not.
Sorry, I kind of got into a selling mode, needed to open up some room in the shop before this winter. I had 3 72 coupes, so Lil Red was in the worst shape of the three, and I knew I would never get to it to get it where I would like. I tend to want all of my cars to be show quality. I sold it to a nice young gentleman in Chicago. Doc, let me know, and I will give you his info. I owe him a interior door pull as first thing when I got it, the drivers side broke apart. I have a 73 parts car that I will get one of the door pulls (you have to remove the door card, I will do that and pull the windo motor and assembly and the door lock solenoids) and send to him.

Back