1972 Newport Sedan HELP where do I get new Weatherstripping/door-Seals?

OldD77

Reaction score
Hello from germany,
Fall is coming, and it’s been raining very bad lately, I had to discover that the water comes through my cracked, porous, hard weatherstripping. Does anybody know where I can get a full set of weatherstripping (door seals and trunk seal) for my Newport? I don’t really care about originallity, as long as it keeps my freshly done interior dry and lasts longer than a few months :D
I don’t want to use the universal self adhesive stuff, so has anybody a better idea?
Any helping advise is very appreciated!!!
Greetings,
Aron

054F3DBE-D2A8-4361-8E1E-0781924A4C59.jpeg

I did two cars through RA actually. Go to the universal parts/body There are weatherstripping in there sold by the foot usually. You need to know the profile. All I have bought was good stuff from well known vendors.

I did two cars through RA actually. Go to the universal parts/body There are weatherstripping in there sold by the foot usually. You need to know the profile. All I have bought was good stuff from well known vendors.
What is RA and how would a person know the profile?
Thanks

@OldD77 -- I have been looking, without success thus far, for the same weatherstripping to replace that on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB (mine does not leak water but it lets some wind noise through). I have contributed my findings to a thread on the topic started by @schwarzsurfer :

I have not been able to source weatherstripping for a fuselage C-body. Quigley Quality Design (whose owner is a member here, @QQE ) lists a lot of different weatherstripping kits here, but I do not see any for a big fusie. RA (Rock Auto, I gather) has not been able to help me -- @1970FuryConv and @halifaxhops , if your experience is different, pls let us know (Ray, showing the cross-section of what you bought from RA and what cars the strips went on would be most useful).

Anyone else?

I did a 64 Cuda, 74 dart, 88 150 most of it measure it, not my thing to handout. You have to do the reaseach. Sorry but the way it is no idea what you need.

Thanks for the tip with Rockauto!
I found something that looks very familiar to the seal I have in my doors, especially with the little plastic clips in it, what do you guys think? Could be worth it to order some?

D1632E59-C63D-4EF1-9050-1CECADAA8B09.png

I did a 64 Cuda, 74 dart, 88 150 most of it measure it, not my thing to handout. You have to do the research. Sorry but the way it is no idea what you need.
Thank you for the list, that is useful. FTR, I have done the research for my 1972 Chrysler -- see this thread.

A photo of the cross-section of your pieces is what I was asking for, apologies if I was not clear. See the picture below (the pic shows my 1972 NYB originals, and as such it may inform @OldD77 as well -- not clear that the Rock Auto part matches, but then again maybe it works regardless). For @halifaxhops -- the parts you needed for the '64 and '74 seem to be available from QQE, whereas mine are not -- so my hunt continues.

1663013963909.png

Last edited:
@OldD77 -- I have been looking, without success thus far, for the same weatherstripping to replace that on Buttercup, my 1972 NYB (mine does not leak water but it lets some wind noise through). I have contributed my findings to a thread on the topic started by @schwarzsurfer :

[/URL]

I have not been able to source weatherstripping for a fuselage C-body. Quigley Quality Design (whose owner is a member here, @QQE ) lists a lot of different weatherstripping kits here, but I do not see any for a big fusie. RA (Rock Auto, I gather) has not been able to help me -- @1970FuryConv and @halifaxhops , if your experience is different, pls let us know (Ray, showing the cross-section of what you bought from RA and what cars the strips went on would be most useful).

Anyone else?
My experience is no different. I once bought an NOS kit of channel cat whiskers. They were all too short and completely wrong. I sent them back. I basically keep my car in the garage if clouds are in the sky. Rolling with the top down allows me to enjoy wind noise. Sorry I can't help.

My experience is no different. I once bought an NOS kit of channel cat whiskers. They were all too short and completely wrong. I sent them back. I basically keep my car in the garage if clouds are in the sky. Rolling with the top down allows me to enjoy wind noise. Sorry I can't help.
Cat whiskers are available from QQE as well as Dante's. PD are different from CY. Where did you order yours?

Several years ago, on my '77 Camaro, the roof rail weatherstrips were getting a bit "weathered", so I got some black silicone sealer and put a skin coat on the existing weatherstrips. Made then look good and black, again. Held up pretty well, too, but I was just seeking a better look. But I suspect that you could fill some cracks with it too, with possibly a few "passes" to do it best.

Where is the moisture coming from? The top of the door, the rear vertical section, the bottom, or from the base of the windshield pillar area?

One thing I did, years ago, on our '66 Newport, was to build a little air dam that extended upward from the door frame (top and basically A-pillar) with black strip caulk. Main concern was to decrease wind noise, but a "water shield" it could also be. That way, with the softer medium, I could shape and tailor the height to fill the gap and leave a little bit for body flex and such.

Back in 1976, Chevy Silverado-trim pickups had a piece of rubber weatherstripping that went in the same place for wind noise reduction. Had a retention flap on each end, for a medium-sized screw to attach it, but weatherstrip cement would work too.

Just some thughts and experiences,
CBODY67

Several years ago, on my '77 Camaro, the roof rail weatherstrips were getting a bit "weathered", so I got some black silicone sealer and put a skin coat on the existing weatherstrips. Made then look good and black, again. Held up pretty well, too, but I was just seeking a better look. But I suspect that you could fill some cracks with it too, with possibly a few "passes" to do it best.

Where is the moisture coming from? The top of the door, the rear vertical section, the bottom, or from the base of the windshield pillar area?

One thing I did, years ago, on our '66 Newport, was to build a little air dam that extended upward from the door frame (top and basically A-pillar) with black strip caulk. Main concern was to decrease wind noise, but a "water shield" it could also be. That way, with the softer medium, I could shape and tailor the height to fill the gap and leave a little bit for body flex and such.

Back in 1976, Chevy Silverado-trim pickups had a piece of rubber weatherstripping that went in the same place for wind noise reduction. Had a retention flap on each end, for a medium-sized screw to attach it, but weatherstrip cement would work too.

Just some thughts and experiences,
CBODY67
It rained so badly last week, that the water just ran in on top of the door and on the vertical section. It’s a cali car, so the whindshield and back glass are absolutely dry, it’s just that the door seals are more like ,,plastic” after 50 years, than rubber.

Back