1972 Plymouth Custom Suburban

Keep going man! She's really coming along!

That Sport Suburban sure is sharp. When I was new to these C bodies, I thought the 73 Plymouths and Chryslers looked too much like Chevys. But I'm really starting to come around, especially after @ayilar bought his beautiful hardtop.
Glad to hear this thread is bringing back good memories for you, and I appreciate the encouragement.

Was able to get most of the exhaust mounted up, still need to install the pipe that crosses over the axle. It sounds so much better now. And the 2bbl carb has started to give me fits so I'm currently boxing it up to send to @Dana for a rebuild.
20200413_192744.jpg
20200413_171759.jpg
20200413_171822_001.jpg
20200414_140319.jpg
20200414_140337.jpg
20200414_181655.jpg

Installed motor mounts today. Went to the hardware store and replaced those darned locking nuts with regular ones and a lock washer. The engine sits much straighter...also installed the Y pipe and replaced some leaky heater hoses. Hope to get the muffler installed tomorrow and then take it out to buzz around.View attachment 368105 View attachment 368106 View attachment 368107

I will say that the stover nut (those darn locking nuts...;) ) are there for a reason, the regular nuts and lock washers you put on will be a lot more prone to vibration and eventual failure...ie: coming loose.

Wagon is coming along nicely...sweet that the parts car exhaust system was in such great shape...big score on that one!!

And love the steelies with dog dish caps...:thumbsup:

sweet that the parts car exhaust system was in such great shape

Thanks, yeah I've been super fortunate with that purchase. The radiator from it is also in this wagon. The mint bumper and grill went on my 72 Monaco wagon. Lots of stuff left to harvest from it.

Not sure if any responded to your starter question, but the mini starter is for a 1993 ish Dodge Dakota 5.2 gas engine. Almost any dodge V8 starter for the LA/Magnum 5.2/5.9 engine from early 90's will fit. Just remember that you might have to remove the black plastic cable adapter to fit. (Can't remember if that is just Big Blocks or not)

20200426_165559.jpg

I have been running the same mini starters from the V6 and V8 magnum motors for 15+ years. I get mine out of the junkyard for about $30 and have never had an issue with them, and with them being so cheap I keep a spare in the garage. ;)

Hey Paul, she was a little on the grungy side, to say the least. I had worse in here, I just can’t remember when!
EFE5C20D-1994-4F85-BC88-F073DAA9D35F.jpeg
359835F7-EBF3-451E-A802-BF48D7600B3A.jpeg
C98AD120-E476-4175-BC49-85DE84052991.jpeg

Yikes @Dana I guess there was good reason why it wouldn't run properly. I ended up sending you the original carb that was swapped out back in post #68, instead of the one currently in place that is also running poorly. Thanks, let me know how much I owe you and I'll make good tonight after work.

A8AAE048-D842-44AB-9FBC-838DACA3212D.jpeg
Ok Paul, she’s ready. Yours and sixpkrt’s carbs will ship this afternoon. This 2bbl is very responsive.

Wow, it looks great, thank you very much! I'm helping @Xenon this afternoon at his warehouse, I'll call you tonight!

Wow, it looks great, thank you very much! I'm helping @Xenon this afternoon at his warehouse, I'll call you tonight!

And a BIG help blimp is,, and always is... Thank you....
Now,, back on topic.. That turd made its first maiden voyage this past week.....
About a 35/40 mile trip out and used approx two gallons of gas....
Seeing as it only has a five gallon tank guess it is a good thing it is not a gas
guzzling stomping big block .....
Way to go blimp..... :steering:

BlimpFury.jpg

And a BIG help blimp is,, and always is... Thank you....
Now,, back on topic.. That turd made its first maiden voyage this past week.....
About a 35/40 mile trip out and used approx two gallons of gas....
Seeing as it only has a five gallon tank guess it is a good thing it is not a gas
guzzling stomping big block .....
Way to go blimp..... :steering:

View attachment 379645

Man... that car brings back memories... my first was a 73 Sport Suburban with the same color, but wood paneling as well.
Used to slap the 'Old English' furniture stain on the sides and polish up the chrome to really attract the babes with that beast! HAHAHA!

my friends called it the "Rolling Bowling Alley"

That turd made its first maiden voyage this past week
Am I the turd or are you speaking of, or the Suburban? :rofl:

This afternoon I'm solving that gas tank/fuel container situation with a trip to "Gas Tank Renu" in Bloomington to have the original tank repaired.

And unfortunately your picture is the last time that right front hubcap with be captured in a photo...the lovely Illinois potholes jarred it loose and sent it flying near the I-55 exchange along Interstate 80 :BangHead:

Am I the turd or are you speaking of, or the Suburban? :rofl:

This afternoon I'm solving that gas tank/fuel container situation with a trip to "Gas Tank Renu" in Bloomington to have the original tank repaired.

And unfortunately your picture is the last time that right front hubcap with be captured in a photo...the lovely Illinois potholes jarred it loose and sent it flying near the I-55 exchange along Interstate 80 :BangHead:

Man.. that sucks... sound like the high quality roads out here on Long Island. Glad my taxes are soooo high to pay for the Gold Plated roads we have!

Those come up pretty frequently on eBay at a good price. Hopefully you can replace it when funds allow.

Love the car and glad to see you're doing what it takes to get her road worthy!

Thanks but I have a couple more caps to take it's spot, that I nabbed while junkyarding ...the problem was, is the set that I'm running were a refurbished gift from a friend of mine.
It's another example of why good, usable, driver-quality parts and cars are just fine for me.

Out enjoying the beautiful weather today, drove the Plymouth to my parents place. Probably have put somewhere around 500 miles or so on it since it's rescue from a cow pasture...fun times!
20200611_085740.jpg
20200611_085820.jpg
20200611_085841.jpg

Out enjoying the beautiful weather today, drove the Plymouth to my parents place. Probably have put somewhere around 500 miles or so on it since it's rescue from a cow pasture...fun times!View attachment 381888 View attachment 381889 View attachment 381890
Great pics and really great to see that old gal driving again. I had a 73 Custom Suburban...man, I'd love to have that car back now. So much fun to drive. Especially now that we can get a fair amount of parts for them and keep them running well.

Good luck with it and enjoy it!!

Back