1972 Plymouth Fury - not mine

Yes, I removed the side moldings, and that was the color of the original paint underneath. I am stripping back to bare metal, but my preference is black or red for the paint.

Started on the body work, beginning with trunk. Pretty solid. Three areas with holes, but will be treating rust and fiber glassing those areas. Finish off with a coat of primer.

IMAG1288.jpg

IMAG1287.jpg

IMAG1286.jpg

Take the other part of the seat out and look at the back , you,ll find the buildsheet there probably…..

Hmmm , maybe under or in the back of the seats……..

Haven’t got the front seats out yet. Spent too much time today trying to get those bloody fender skirts off:lol:

Finished removing all of interior and rust treating trunk floor. Will start rubbing down exterior paint next.

Also my new battery tray turned up today as well.

IMAG1328.jpg

IMAG1325.jpg

Haven’t got the front seats out yet. Spent too much time today trying to get those bloody fender skirts off:lol:

The build sheet on my '73 was on the back of the front drivers seat and was found by taking off the back panel on the front seat.

I will have a look now seats are out. There was a pesky bolt on both sides at the rear nearest transmission tunnel, which had one bolt holding exhaust hanger, and anothe buried inside rail. Took me ages to work out why the seats were stuck, after removing first nut

I will have a look now seats are out. There was a pesky bolt on both sides at the rear nearest transmission tunnel, which had one bolt holding exhaust hanger, and anothe buried inside rail. Took me ages to work out why the seats were stuck, after removing first nut
But you got it!!!

Back home to assess work. Paint is horrible, so going to strip down to bare metal and start again. Bondo on roof, but solid metal underneath, both inside and outside, so looks like it just needs removing and redoing properly . Engine has had some workdone and has a bew magnaflow exhaust fitted.

View attachment 258910

View attachment 258911

View attachment 258912

View attachment 258913

View attachment 258914

View attachment 258915

View attachment 258916

View attachment 258917

View attachment 258919

View attachment 258920

Nice car and right now it's the inverse of mine as far as colors. That trunk emblem on the right side (if you are replacing it) will be the hardest part to find. Also, make sure you save your door seals, not real easy on those either. Have fun, '72's with the concealed headlights and FURY III front side markers are attention grabbers.

Dont mind me. Just watching thread progress :popcorn:
Way late to the thread but congratulations on the purchase! As others have said - that ‘72 Front end is killer. Is this your first Fusie? Or C-Body?

Yes, this is my c body. Have worked on old British cars, but this is my first American. All of my tools were metric, so gradually having to buy imperial, especially those long reach sockets..... Good thing is plenty of room to work in, much more than on a MG or Triumph.

whilst waiting for the penetrating oil to do its job, I thought i would try and fit the 8 inch back wheels with the 295 rubber. A little bit of jiggling, but they do fit.

IMAG1341.jpg

IMAG1342.jpg

IMAG1343.jpg

Stubborn rust nut. This is the last nut i need to undo, but is rusted so badly socket will not fit. This issue i have is that this is a stud, so trying to save it, otherwise i would have to weld a new one. Any suggestions as to how to remove and save stud?

IMAG1355.jpg

IMAG1354.jpg

Stubborn rust nut. This is the last nut i need to undo, but is rusted so badly socket will not fit. This issue i have is that this is a stud, so trying to save it, otherwise i would have to weld a new one. Any suggestions as to how to remove and save stud?

View attachment 267532

View attachment 267533
Keep spraying penetrating oil on it, try cleaning the rust with a wire brush, and be careful if using an impact. Or use heat if you can get a socket on it.

I had to spray my idler and pitman arm a few timet and let it sit, before the air hammer worked when doing the front end. Patience as always.

There is a tool called a nut buster. Judging from the pics, that might be what you need. That or a lot of luck.

Back