For Sale 1972 Plymouth Gran Fury 2 door $$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.
That went over my head. Help me out.
The blob of paint that shows it was installed and/or inspected on the assembly line. It's part of the over restoration of this car.

What jumps out at me is the paint on the driveshaft and other areas that was not painted when the car was built. This is an expensive, incorrect "restoration" that looks pretty and tries to do all the stuff the cool kids do like paint blobs. Miserable failure....

The blob of paint that shows it was installed and/or inspected on the assembly line
It's just that I never heard of an inspection blob referred to as warranty paint.
And yes, all the unpainted parts jumped out at me, too.

It's just that I never heard of an inspection blob referred to as warranty paint.
And yes, all the unpainted parts jumped out at me, too.

I've always referred to the paint marks as warranty paint as to make sure parts weren't swapped for a warranty job. Some now call it Inspection paint, funny thing is on cars that I worked on (my 68 PK21) that were 2 to 3 years old I saw very little of this paint, about only thing I saw the paint on was the front suspension parts, balljoint, tierod, pitman nuts etc, Kinda laff when I see these cars on the auction blocks with a the multicolored dabs of paint underneath. Make me wonder what did they use ? Watercolors?
Did a lot of work on brand new early 80's Ford Crown Vics also, first to service the car so to say, never saw any 'warranty paint' maybe some chalk writing but none of the dabs of paint.

Maybe my brain cells are fried after all these years but I worked under these cars when they were new, I don't remember all these blobs, dashes, markings, etc. being as numerous, bold, and perhaps exaggerated as I see on these... AHEM.."restorations". And yes, I worked on pre-delivery cars.

Perhaps all these blobs of paint here and there are due to the opinions of self-appointed marque "experts" who decree that "it must be so" and the sheep who blindly follow along afterwards.

It may be that "some" vehicles had the blobs but not all???

Now that we are focused on the drive shaft ( forget the dabs) Was the “natural look” original detail in ‘72? How about ‘68? Or did they wear black chassis paint? I don’t ever recall seeing paint on my drive shaft, but I lived on a gravel road and always looked natural.

Perhaps all these blobs of paint here and there are due to the opinions of self-appointed marque "experts" who decree that "it must be so" and the sheep who blindly follow along afterwards.

It may be that "some" vehicles had the blobs but not all???

Paint daubs helped in the assembly process.
Certain markings, like on rear axles, would help designate an assembly with or without SG, brake size, gear ratio, etc.
Torsion bars had them for easy ID.

If certain parts were used in all C bodies, like torsion bars, then one would not expect to find paint markings as there would be no reason to use colors to distinguish between parts. I don’t know enough but I presume there were multiple assemblies for things like rear ends that needed some way to tell them apart.

Probably another good reason to DOCUMENT what is found on C bodies as they are parted or restored. Yes, care about what you find. It may be important to someone else.

I don’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning let alone what I remember from the underside of my Chevelle in 1975.

Paint daubs helped in the assembly process.
Certain markings, like on rear axles, would help designate an assembly with or without SG, brake size, gear ratio, etc.
Torsion bars had them for easy ID.

If certain parts were used in all C bodies, like torsion bars, then one would not expect to find paint markings as there would be no reason to use colors to distinguish between parts. I don’t know enough but I presume there were multiple assemblies for things like rear ends that needed some way to tell them apart.

Probably another good reason to DOCUMENT what is found on C bodies as they are parted or restored. Yes, care about what you find. It may be important to someone else.

I don’t remember what I had for breakfast this morning let alone what I remember from the underside of my Chevelle in 1975.
Actually my 68 Polara has marked torsion bars. Right one has one big yellow daub. Left has two yellow lines a daub and then a smear (so 3 markings). If I remember correctly there were a couple of different torsion bars available. Regular and heavy duty. (Sorry for the picture of a picture. Internet down and pic is on computer hard drive. Posting with phone)
image.jpg

IMHO, and based on what I've seen, the paint blobs were supposed to last as long as the car was in the assembly plant. They were put on fast, just enough to mark it and not on parts that were "prepped" or even cleaned for paint. Some paint was done to identify, some to verify that a part was assembled and some were done as inspection of finished work. I personally don't think that at this late date you would be able to verify what blobs were what unless you had a low mileage car with everything intact, never worked on etc. and you can map and duplicate the paint blobs that are still on the car.

This car is "over restored". It has been painted where it wasn't and some of the paints were done to simulate bare metal etc. I doubt if these were original paint blobs. I think it takes away from a nice car myself.

When my mom totaled our 72 Fury III 4dr HT my dad borrowed this car's twin from his Work Wife. She and her hubby had 2 cars but could get by with one. I loved every minute this HOT beast was in our driveway. It is a shame the dealership does not have hi-res images even on their website. Still grabbing every one of them as they bring back some great memories. I loved our Black on Black on Black 4DRHT (nicknamed the Batmobile), but the red 2DRHT was and is a dream machine.

Did a lot of work on brand new early 80's Ford Crown Vics also, first to service the car so to say, never saw any 'warranty paint' maybe some chalk writing but none of the dabs of paint.

I think you will find that changes in assembly line procedures and in automation technology has reduced the need for human validation.
The type of paint used to make those marks was the cheapest quality paint available since once the vehicle left the building those markings were never checked again. I was a mechanic at a Chrysler Plymouth dealership in the mid 70s and onwards till mid 80s. I saw a lot more marks made with tire crayons than with paint marks.
Chrysler had an enormous amount of "campaign changes" on the entire product line-up with the Aspen/Volare line making up the majority of them. Every change came with instructions on what mark to make and where that mark was to placed. The first step in the campaign instructions was to look for that mark to prevent the work being done twice. Campaign changes were not recalls.

I would not be surprised if the marking put on during assembly were water based marking pens, and not oil based paint brushed on as done by Worman.

I find it very odd that they went to extent they did on this restoration only to screw it up by using compression fittings on the transmission cooler line. And then doing it twice on the same line. Hard to trust the workmanship of that restoration when something as basic as a proper double flair fitting was not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back