1972 Polara Texas Highway Patrol

I'm late to the show, but nice car and even if it's a little slow, you're making great progress. As said earlier, the dedication it takes to bring something like this back to it's former glory is more than I could muster. My hat off to you Zed!

Thanks! I've finally got the budget and time, and I've made a lot of progress recently. 'Tis the season to get this one done and out the door!

Decided to tear into the steering column, after discovering the ignition key cylinder wouldn't turn. Ignition switch frozen stuck,little arm on the key buzzer is switch broken, and the turn signal switch looks somewhat brittle. Ordering all new parts today.

IMG_9703.jpg
IMG_9718.jpg
IMG_9717.jpg

Also managed to source the correct decal relating to the A/C Shutoff switch, that appeared on the lower portion of the instrument bezel. This was sourced from a thoroughly parted out '72 Polara Police car. My car was missing this decal, but I can now have it correctly reproduced.

IMG_9720.jpg

Last edited:
I think of the "network" of parts/suppliers I might use to help get the right parts, but I can only imagine the trouble you cop car guys have to go through to get everything correct.

Yes...It's especially fun when the part exists - because you're holding one in your hand - but either isn't listed in a parts catalog at all, or I have to look back through the previous several model year catalogs to find the last catalog they decided to list it in.

Then you must find it out in the wild.

Received the cloth, vinyl and seat welt from SMS today...Beautiful, original stuff! Now to schedule with my upholstery guy.

IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_9559.JPG

Sent my battery cable off to M&H to have it reproduced...still waiting to hear back on that.

Did put on an NOS cast iron proportioning valve today...I take it that this was only used on some full size cars in '72/'73.

Anyway, $245 later and here we are (that was the cheap price). Also Hand bent some new lines to the M/C... and now that I look at the pic, I really need to get those rusty nuts off the master cylinder that I was using to hold it on until I got some new ones...ew!

Need to put on the ignition switch and turn signal switch, but it's too cold in the garage even with the heater on!
IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_3984.JPG

Sent my battery cable off to M&H to have it reproduced...still waiting to hear back on that.

Did put on an NOS cast iron proportioning valve today...I take it that this was only used on some full size cars in '72/'73.

Anyway, $245 later and here we are (that was the cheap price). Also Hand bent some new lines to the M/C... and now that I look at the pic, I really need to get those rusty nuts off the master cylinder that I was using to hold it on until I got some new ones...ew!

Need to put on the ignition switch and turn signal switch, but it's too cold in the garage even with the heater on!
View attachment 159388 View attachment 159389
I also had M&H do the positive battery cable for my GT. They were spot on perfect, but it did take a little over a month. I also had SMS do my door panels and seats; there again, took some time but perfect when I got them back. If you are looking for exhaust for your car, would like to recommend Waldrums in Centreville, MI. Their head pipes and tailpipes fit perfect. Mufflers, though, would look elsewhere. Not close too original look.

Little bit done today on the '72 Dodge:

Added Fat Mat sound deadener/insulation to roof. Headliner can now go in!

Masked off instrument bezel to repaint silver areas, will then add new burl wood vinyl decal to it.

Dash pad is here and dyed. Added NOS "Custom" emblem to it, and test fit on the dash frame. Waiting on the correct pop rivets so I can re-attach the VIN plate, then I'll permanently attach.

IMG_5926.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

IMG_2368.JPG

IMG_2381.JPG

IMG_7299.JPG

'Started the headliner today - going in really well! SMS did a great job on it. Also replaced the ignition switch, turn signal switch and reassembled the steering column.

Test fit the speedometer bezel - (check out the new burl wood decal - doing the A/C vents and door panels next), should be able to lock everything on the dash down in the next week when some gauges and other odd and ends get here.

F02E9452-5704-4E58-8333-1FF619E008F1.jpeg
D96D0BEA-8357-4A3C-A247-3787B0CE7193.jpeg
A164623B-0368-421E-A524-F2F5666E1674.jpeg

Can officially call the dash on the ‘72 Dodge DONE!
Working on getting the fitment exactly right, but I’ve installed new fuel/amp/temp gauges, new HVAC control, new speedo cable, new headlight switch, new AC cutoff switch and bezel.

Also received NOS dome light - headliner now complete!
More coming, stay tuned!

267A7EFE-9494-4834-965E-F71F2127D790.jpeg
8EEABE8A-9880-419C-AA5A-98F5D3BD3F99.jpeg
5D257A49-7189-4E8F-9B66-FFC91E133AB5.jpeg
22E76C87-D040-45A8-8FFB-7D2FDAFB8854.jpeg

Installed new exhaust heat riser on passenger manifold, and sourced correct NOS radiator cap for the coolant recovery system.

Am late to the show but loving to read all the details and dedication! Question: where did you find the cap? I need one for my 1970 Polara and have had no luck so far with OEM or NOS.

Back