1972 Y2 New Yorker Survivor

Actually commando 1, I never put front shocks on a C body before. I did take the time to research the subject on FCBO. I've found forums like FCBO and FABO invaluable when it comes to working on my Mopars.
I probably will take the car to some local events next year. I get most of my enjoyment out of working on my cars and trying to get them into tip-top shape.

I found this post from May 2015 on FCBO . This thread looks like it has the answer to why my radio isn't working. I will need to jump the DIN pins indicated to see if I can get it to play the sweet sounds of FM mono!

Chrysler Radio install

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment commando 1. Tonight, I jumped the pins on the DIN connector as described in the Chrysler radio install thread. The old girl now has AM and FM! I started the car and had it idling in the driveway while I played with the radio. I was a happy camper. Unfortunately, I got out of the car while it was running, locked the door and shut it before I realized that all the doors were locked. The only set of keys that I have were dangling in the ignition switch.:BangHead: Fortunately, AAA came to my rescue. Talk about embarrassing!

Worked last night on soldering my wire splices and connectors to the radio and doing the final installation. I'm happy with how things turned out. I could have sent the radio out for a digital upgrade but I just couldn't justify spending the $400. Besides, it was much more gratifying tracking down the cause of the problem and fixing it myself.
Before I started this project, I thought that it would be a nightmare removing the radio from the dash. It actually turned out to be one of the easiest radios I've worked on for removal and installation.
20161018_201439.jpg

I replaced the fuel filter and steel fuel line on the Chrysler today. The one that was on the car was cobbled together with steel and rubber fuel lines. The rubber was very cracked and in need of replacement. Besides, I like the factory look with the formed steel line.
The power steering pump has been leaking a lot of fluid from the front seal. I flushed the power steering system, removed the hoses, pump and pulley. The pump shaft was worn with lots of end play. Didn't get things assembled because the pulley and bracket paint isn't dry yet. It shouldn't take long to get things back together.

Reference the disconnected horn relay. Does the car have the rim blow steering wheel? My '71 Sport Fury did and many times I would be woken up at night to a horn blowing on the car.

My car doesn't have a rim blow steering wheel. It has the 3 wide spokes with horn buttons on each. So far no problems since the horn relay was replaced.

The power steering pump assembly is assembled and ready to install. I'm just waiting on the high pressure hose to arrive until everything can be put back into place. Originally, the pump cap should have been painted black like the rest of the unit but the paint never seemed to stay in place for a very long period of time. I decided not to paint it and leave the plated finish showing.
PICT3503_fixed.jpg

I have decided to try my hand at restoring the trunk keyhole cover. As you can see from the picture, the resin has become cracked and almost impossible to see through. I believe that the ornament originally had color under the clear plastic. The various crests that are located on the hubcaps and interior are gold, however, I've seen a NOS piece on eBay that shows it to be red. Mine might have been gold or it could just simply be yellow with age. I would appreciate any input from members on FCBO regarding what color their 72 New Yorker cover is.
20161027_184924.jpg

After looking at the above picture, I think that I'm leaning towards gold. I don't see any hint of red on the ornament even after I removed the crazed resin. The OCD part of me just needs to know what this looked like when it rolled off the assembly line!

My guess is that someone who had a few bucks after buying the fuzzy dice bought some Gold paint to embellish the originals. See how the paint crackled with age? The red almost always fades after 40 years. . .

$_1.JPG

This Chrysler has been in our family since 1973. The ornament is original and unmolested. After looking at all the Chrysler emblems on the hubcaps and interior of the car, all have gold inside the shield. I've included a pic of the emblem on the inside door panel. I think that I am going to do the trunk emblem in gold as well.
20161028_062756.jpg

Thanks for the help commando. I am going with gold. I bought paint yesterday and 2 part clear epoxy resin. Wish me luck. I post pics afterwards.

It was a good day in the garage. I finished installing the new power steering pump and hoses. It's working fine without leaks. I also detailed the engine compartment. I think that everything is detail correct except the aftermarket cruise control and updated electronic ignition module.
I painted the trunk ornament gold and plan on trying my hand at pouring epoxy resin on top tomorrow.

20161029_121938_fixed.jpg

20161029_121948_fixed.jpg

20161029_121929.jpg

20161029_174916.jpg

Back