1972 Y2 New Yorker Survivor

Worked last night on soldering my wire splices and connectors to the radio and doing the final installation. I'm happy with how things turned out. I could have sent the radio out for a digital upgrade but I just couldn't justify spending the $400. Besides, it was much more gratifying tracking down the cause of the problem and fixing it myself.
Before I started this project, I thought that it would be a nightmare removing the radio from the dash. It actually turned out to be one of the easiest radios I've worked on for removal and installation.View attachment 97749

Let me tell ya, it's real pleasure to follow along with somebody that works their way through problems and properly solves them. The trend nowadays is to simply shotgun parts, chop wires, install aftermarket junk and dismiss a failed 50 y/o part as "unreliable junk"... And I'm not just talking radios.

Keep up the good work. Yellow/Green is uncommon, but not super uncommon. I like the combo very much.

Thanks for the compliment Carmine. I'm a DIY kinda guy. I'm always trying to learn new skills or solve new problems.
I had a great day with the Chrysler today. The car has been running great but still experiencing a slight hesitation when starting from a stop. Even though I timed the car at idle and at 3000 RPM, I decided to gradually add more advance each time I dive the car until she just doesn't like it anymore. After about 3 gradual increases in the advance, the old 440 purrs like a kitten and experiences no hesitation. I'm really surprised how smooth the power comes on.....almost as good as fuel injection.
I drove the car down to my mother's house and took her for a long drive in the country. The temp was in the 70's and the sun was shinning. This was the first time that my mother had been riding in the car since the mid 1980's. She had a blast.
I also finished the trunk emblem today by filling the shield with a 2 part clear epoxy. The trunk latch cover looks 100% better. I might just touch up some of the black painted areas with SEM trim paint for the finishing touch.
Before and after:

20161027_200813.jpg

20161030_165210.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have garage space for the New Yorker at my house so I decided it was time to take her back to my mom's house for the winter. I managed to buff the hood, trunk and passenger side of the car to remove superficial scratches. The paint turned out great. I had some touch up paint made from a scan of the fender skirts and I plan on working on the stone chips in the Spring.
I made a template of the inner rear quarter drop down extensions. I plan on make these over the winter so that I can repair the quarter panel rust when she comes out of hibernation.
I'm going to miss the old girl. She is a pleasure to drive......except for the vague over assisted power steering!

I've been working on sprucing up the New Yorker's hubcaps and polishing some stainless steel trim. One hubcap finished.....3 to go. I had a day off from the office on Thursday so I went over to the body shop and fabbed up some rear inner fender trunk extensions. I'm planning on fixing the rear lower fender rust when the weather gets better. The drop down extensions are rusted and will need to be replaced at the same time.
20170112_143320.jpg

I found this

Auld%20026.jpg

20161028_062756-jpg.101088
External emblems, such as the trunk lock cover were always red on the Fuseys (and Formals). They fade wierd and can get different shades. Look at how these faded with a gold tinge...the NOS is below.
$_1.JPG
s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
That's what I thought.

I think we had this debate once. I had a pile of '72 NOS decklid emblems that I sold to Murray Park, years ago and I swear there were gold and red versions. I wonder if red was a running change.

RE: the power steering... the Monaco I'm driving has had a bunch of front end parts replaced and it's quite a bit "tighter" than most I've driven. Make sure there is no slop in your idler arm, a common problem.

It's hard to say about the emblem color. This New Yorker has been in our family since 1973. Neither my 82 year-old mother, my brother or I ever remember any red color on the trunk emblem. I went with the gold for that reason. If it should have been red, it now has a newer "survivor" look.

It's hard to say about the emblem color. This New Yorker has been in our family since 1973. Neither my 82 year-old mother, my brother or I ever remember any red color on the trunk emblem. I went with the gold for that reason. If it should have been red, it now has a newer "survivor" look.
You made the right decision! I have solved the color riddle and posted the solution in The 1972 Chrysler Thread (short answer: the 1972 medallion is gold, the 1973 equivalent is red).

Back