1973 400 questions

prd2bdf

Reaction score
So Loretta, my 73 Newport, is stored for the winter and of course that got me to thinking, it may be a good time to start getting stuff.

we all know these cars aren’t going to be 1/4 mile kings but I was wondering if any of you have done basic bolt ons to increase the power. I am planning on getting a new aluminum radiator since the original one is starting to leak a bit, also planning on converting it to dual exhaust with a h-pipe.

I have no knowledge of the 400 blocks, I’ve googled and it just keep giving me results for either the 383 or the 440. Are they the same?

400 is just a bored out 383. 383 has 4.25" bore...400 has a 4.34" bore. Same stroke at 3.375. 400 is the favorite block these days for stroker kits due to large bore size. You can do some pretty decent mods to the 400 but you're limited by low compression pistons.

400 is just a bored out 383. 383 has 4.25" bore...400 has a 4.34" bore. Same stroke at 3.375. 400 is the favorite block these days for stroker kits due to large bore size. You can do some pretty decent mods to the 400 but you're limited by low compression pistons.

that’s okay. I’m looking mostly for things I can easily bolt on or remove to help unlock any power. I would rather leave the pistons and all the spinning whirly parts alone.

Easiest way to get some power out of it is to adjust ignition timing so that it gets the fire burning early. Most 400's had very retarded, late ignition timing...i.e. the spark happens late in the compression stroke and you loose power from the explosion happening too late. Most guys with a good timing light will set the mechanical advance timing to be around 32-34 degrees before top dead center of piston travel at 3000 rpm. You dont want to advance timing too far because you'll get knock/pre-ignition and the engine may not turn over easy. I think your base timing at idle will be around 15 degrees btdc to equate to 32-34 degrees at 3000 rpm. Remember as the engine rotates faster you have to set the fire off earlier to get maximum power pressure when the piston is just coming off of TDC stroke and heading downward.

Easiest way to get some power out of it is to adjust ignition timing so that it gets the fire burning early. Most 400's had very retarded, late ignition timing...i.e. the spark happens late in the compression stroke and you loose power from the explosion happening too late. Most guys with a good timing light will set the mechanical advance timing to be around 32-34 degrees before top dead center of piston travel at 3000 rpm. You dont want to advance timing too far because you'll get knock/pre-ignition and the engine may not turn over easy. I think your base timing at idle will be around 15 degrees btdc to equate to 32-34 degrees at 3000 rpm. Remember as the engine rotates faster you have to set the fire off earlier to get maximum power pressure when the piston is just coming off of TDC stroke and heading downward.
@halifaxhops has helped me with rebuilt distributor that has improved advance curve. Maybe shoot him a PM.

Without major engine modifications there is nothing to be done in my opinion, with some timing adjustments and carb tuning you might gain something in performance but possibly at the cost of overheating in heavy traffic or other drivability concerns in my Mopar experience, in my opinion the only way to performance gains on the cheap with these cars is a lower gear in the rear end, even if it was a low mile performance era 440 in there, its still a 50 year old build

Until I looked up the distributor specs on our '72 Newport Royal 400 2bbl, I had similar thoughts about the ignition timing on non-CA cars. But as with our 66 Newport 383 2bbl, the factory settings yielded right at 36 degrees BTDC timing, but at more like 4400rpm. With the '72 factory base timing being 7.5 degrees BTDC (plus or minus 2.5 degrees) and the '66 factory base timing being 12.5 degrees BTDC (which I upgraded to 15 degrees BTDC, as we were already using premium fuel in it).

I'm not sure specifically where the '73 timing is compared to the '72, but as I recall, most of the "emissions timing" was in the 2000rpm and lower area, rather than at 4500rpm. Which then means you need to get the lower rpm advance in sooner, but not increase the total. Unless the existing total is a few degrees less, which can be easily compensated for with the base timing setting. In any event, no more than 40 degrees total, although Nick usually uses close to 34 degrees, usually, on his dyno-run engines.

IF the itnake manifold has two holes in the bottom of the plenum, plug them up. That is "floor jet EGR". Or as the old-line Chrysler service manager at our local dealer used to call them, "Calibrated Vacuum Leaks" from the heat crossover passage. Although by 1973, you might have an external EGR valve. Getting rid of the EGR will make a very valid improvement in off-idle response, from my experiences. Which will make the car more fun to drive . . . when an off-idle slight punch yields "Let's GO" rather than "You want to do what??" from the engine.

As noted, the 400 is just an over-bored 383. With, of course, a new block casting to allow such. It was also a lighter-weight block that, as I recall, only allow something like a .040" overbore, if needed. Still, it is a strong block. The cam has a hair more duration, a hair more lift, and resultant overlap. Which means it is not that much different from the prior 383 cam (even the 383/325 cam). So that is good. So all of the good Chrysler "bones" are still there, just hindered by the rated 8.2CR compared to prior 9.2+CR.

IF you want to do something, then do a roller timing chain set. For "insurance purposes" against failure of the factory item (if you haven't already done so). Cloyes is a good brand for this.

With a 2.7 rear axle ratio, P225/75R-15 tires, and 4500 lbs, it can burn some rubber (no giant smokey burnouts without some help), plus raise the front end a bit on off-idle acceleration, but the car is more designed for comfortable and safe Interstate crusing AND also be competent on curving roadways, too. While getting reasonable fuel economy at the same time (just not in the 30mpg range).

Get the car tuned so that it runs reliably and eagerly, which can make the car more fun to drive. Resist ALL potential challengers on acceleration or similar . . . unless you want to upgrade to a late model OEM Chrysler 8-speed automatic. Just smile, wave, and let them speed off to look for another challenger they can beat. IF you think you might want to play "their game", look for an A-body with an LA stroker . . . something that will look stock production but with more power and torque AND a chassis that can use it effectively.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

IF the itnake manifold has two holes in the bottom of the plenum, plug them up. That is "floor jet EGR". Or as the old-line Chrysler service manager at our local dealer used to call them, "Calibrated Vacuum Leaks" from the heat crossover passage. Although by 1973, you might have an external EGR valve. Getting rid of the EGR will make a very valid improvement in off-idle response, from my experiences. Which will make the car more fun to drive . . . when an off-idle slight punch yields "Let's GO" rather than "You want to do what??" from the engine. My dad had a 78 dodge crestwood wagon...360 with lean burn. The computer went so haywire one hot summer day/AC on while driving that a backfire blew off the air cleaner and one of these floor jets in the bottom of the manifold. The car ran like crap with a huge vacuum leak. The mechanic had a terrible time figuring out that the floor jet had blown out. The jets definitely can cause a major vacuum leak.

Don't get me wrong, my 400 2v 72 Newport is awesome, has way more get up than a 70s/80s sbc 305/350, when you're rolling along at 60mph on open road you can dust any approaching Honda Civic if you want, mine had a 2.71 gear in a 8.25 diff, I put a 9.25 diff in it from a R body Gran Fury, 2.9?, it woke it up a bit but messed with my speedo, mine has about 73000 miles, doesn't smoke out the pipes, valve covers haven't stopped leaking yet but not terrible, long story short, my opinion, building a motor for these cars all you need is a 69 spec 383 at 300 horse, (440 is still ok at 350) maybe closer to net 300 vs gross, but anything more aggressive it's more likely to be a slobbering pig of a big block, which is cool, but not very Chrysler

Back