1973 chrysler newport

Status
Not open for further replies.

monaco75

Reaction score
Contact seller
Hey guy's, I know I said I would start a thread on the car. However I have had the car for sale for a little while, figured I would throw it up on here as well... Have no need to sell, however I could let it go.

Previous owner stated the car is a special order car. Can not verify that a %100. However I will say the car has quite a pedigree. Car was ordered for the batavia downs horse racing track in NY. Was used as a pace car for the horse race's.

The car is a white 2 door hardtop, with a sunroof, and white vynal top. The body is very solid, With a little bit of rust starting at the rear wheels. The car had a big hydralic machine in the trunk to operate the big gates that were on the rear of the car, that machine broke a hose, and hydralic fluid went everywhere in the trunk, it ate most of the paint away, but kept anything from rusting. The car didnt have a trunk lid, just a cover that snaped over the trunk, They put rivets around the trunk for the snaps on the cover to snap to. I got the rivets out, and put a bit of filler in to seal them up, and keep moisture out. Didn't want to weld in new metal, in case I ever wanted to bring it back to how it was on the track. There is also a couple holes where the speakers, and wind guard were attached on the a pillars. Nothing that can't be fixed, or can be kept how is.

The interior only had a passenger side seat, with a stool for the driver to sit on. All of that has been taken out, and a driver side seat was located and installed, along with new carpeting, and a rear seat. The seats could use a redo, as they don't match. The original seat color look's to be white, as the passenger seat is white, and is told to be original to the car. The car is bare bone's. Only option the car seem's to have is the sun roof. Was a radio delete car, however the previous owner installed a sony tuner, along with 6x9's in the rear deck, with 5 inch speaker's under the dash.

The engine is the original 400 with only 24,000 miles on it, and the car. But motor has had some goodies added, and new top end.

915 closed chambered heads
full msd ignition, with billet distributer
edelbroke performer rpm intake
holley 750 DP
Lunatii cam, and valve trane
Newer style (1975) radiator, with a electric fan
Schumacher tri-y header's, and full dual exhaust with H pipe

The trans was rebuilt, along with some goodies
turbo action manual valve body
turbo action 2900 stall convertor
hemi clutch pack
B&M shifter
Additional trans cooler mounted in front of radiator

Rear is an 8 3/4 with a 4.10 suregrip.

Ive never ran it on the track, but previous owner stated it runs 13s. I believe him, this thing moves. No prob eating up lil 5.0s lol

Car needs a paint job, and a lil interior work, but other then that shes good to go, only mechanical problem is the fuel sending unit is not working, so no gas gauge, but mopar still offers this part for $160, just havnt messed with it.

I'd like to get $3500 or possibly a trade for the car. Anything mopar!! Especially C-body mopar's. Car must be in same type of shape as my newport. (running/driving project car with minimal rust) Let me know what you have.

Car is located in pinckney MI (about 45mins west of detroit), I am in FL. I will be in Michigan for a week beginning Augest 10th to the 18th. Can maybe do something then for a trade, or let me know. Im hoping to be at the mopar nats on friday the 10th as well.

Can call, or email me
9zero4 three22 009zero
Dukezac@hotmail.com

-zac

(this is a video, click picture to play)

l_ff1453ac22c348d68b0b29a0d7d6d7c6.jpg

l_702e5c4491e704cb39e70832f4d632fe.jpg

l_2ec83d96af16d262c0a66e695e5cf536.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the most recent picture's of the car. The wheel's and tire's pictured in these do not go with the car. They belong to my other car. Newport come's with stock wheel's/hubcap's pictured above with tire's.

IMG_0290-1.jpg

IMG_0288.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

A couple more... Car has a clean, and clear tittle. Also forgot to mention I found one of the registration tickets for the car at the batavia down's horse racing track dated 1982. I've talked to a couple people who are from NY and claim to have seen this car on the track, in use. Ive also been told of a horse breaking a world record back in the 80's running behind this car. Not that it really add's to the car itself, but think it is cool. I can not really attest to it, but car does seem to be a 1 of 1 big block mopar!
Please, no tire kicker's! I've had enough of em! Money talk's bull $#it walks
:tiptoe:
IMG_0292.jpg

IMG_0291.jpg

Thanks,
zac

Last edited:
Nice video. Engine sounds healthy. I think the selling point of this car is the sunroof. Didn't see a single close up shot of the interior or exterior of the sunroof in the video or the stills. That might help sell it. I checked out the video of the Bluesmobile too. Nice.

Nice video. Engine sounds healthy. I think the selling point of this car is the sunroof. Didn't see a single close up shot of the interior or exterior of the sunroof in the video or the stills. That might help sell it. I checked out the video of the Bluesmobile too. Nice.

Yea, Im sorry about that! I can't seem to find a picture of it in my collection.... Could have sworn I had one. Im not near the car at the moment, can't take one myself. Ofcoarse the camera the folk's have is broken, I'll have to try and get a hold of my nieghbor buddy up there, and see if he can send me some. hopefully I'll have a few in the next day or so.

The sunroof does not work at the moment. When I got the car, the motor would work, but seem's the cable's were not connected to the sunroof door. Could watch the cable's move themselfs, but do nothing. I believe the motor quit working as well. I manually got the sunroof open with my hands about half way, but quit there, as I didn't want to not be able to get it shut again.

Hope to have some picture's for you guys soon!

I'm trying to remember everything about the car, and go through some notes that I do have on the car...

Some years ago I did contact batavia downs. I was hoping to find any information/picture's on the car. I did speak to a gentleman on the phone. He informed me that batavia had switched hand's sometime (I believe back in 2000). He also said that all the old file's and photo's were lost in a fire in the late 80's (if I remember correctly, again this was years ago). He did say he was very familiar with the car, and remembered it quite well. He is also the one who told me about the horse breaking a world record running behind this car. He told me a few other odds and ends as well, more so about the track though.

ALSO!!!! I did find a pic of the sunroof! Found it in an old email from the previous owner. Glad I've kept everything from back then! lol

These are pictures sent to me from the previous owner, before I purchased it.
drew051.jpg

drew034.jpg

drew031.jpg

Think I saved the car from being all pimped out back then! lol Pay no attention to the dollar sign hanging from the rear view mirror! haha The car also seem's to have had a subwoofer at some time to. All the wiring for one is in the trunk.

If I can think of anything else will let you know. I'll also work on getting more pic's of the sunroof.
zac

No, i picked her up off of racingjunk.com years ago. Ive had it on c body dry dock, and craigslist a couple time's the last year and a half or so, but never ebay. Also had it on moparts once.

I like it, very kool story with it!

Nieghbor sent me some picture's today.

These were taken today july 10th 2012. She is a little dirty, I havn't been around to keep her as clean as she is used to being.

IMG_0251small.jpg

IMG_0255small.jpg

IMG_0258small.jpg

IMG_0262small.jpg

Yea, the interior is the weak part of the car. The previous owner did a great job with the engine/drivetrain. Not sure why he scimped out on the interior. This is how i got it, and never messed with. I give him a little credit, being the car did not really have much of an interior. Seat covers because the seats dont match. I get that. Car didn't have a carpet, so he threw a cheap one in. I HATE the steering wheel. But easy fix. The shifter is more of a GM thing... But can't lie, it is pretty fun going threw the gears with it..

Like I say, is a project car. Has a solid body, and strong drivetrain. Would not take much to bring it back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back