1973 New Yorker Brougham - Curious Indicator Fault

IronMighty

Reaction score
Recently added a 73 New Yorker 2dr to my collection... its a 10 yarder as beneath rear screen full of filler amongst other things.
However main curiousity/fault is the indicators... whichever way I set the turn switch it activates the RH indicator? Am assuming earth as a likely contributor but any other faults to check.
Other irritation is the power seat switch not functioning but once I get a couple of dry days I'll get to investigate.
UK member so any parts are an order/wait game which slows progress.
1000011847.jpg

whichever way I set the turn switch it activates the RH indicator?
Probably one of two things... Bad ground(s) at front and/or rear lights or bad turn signal switch.

Grounds are free and easy to check and the first thing I would do... Run a wire with alligator clips from a known good ground to the light housings.

The switch will involve a test light and I would start at the connection under the steering column. Get a FSM here. Service Manuals – MyMopar They don't have the '73 Chrysler, but they do have a '72 Chrysler and a '73 Dodge. I'll bet either one will be close enough to figure out what wire is what... Stick one end of the test light probe into the connector and see what works or doesn't work.
https://acrobat.adobe.com/id/urn:aaid:sc:VA6C2:c5ba5345-7469-466c-b571-12fcb3b77b1b

I had a problem with the driver’s side fender mounted indicator on Shamu, my 1969 Plymouth Fury III convertible and it turned out to be the bulb housing on the front turn signal (the ground path). The bulb socket was pressed into the reflector housing and wasn’t making good contact there. I soldered the two pieces together and that solved the problem.

Nice looking New Yorker!

@IronMighty -- yours is the second turquoise NYB that I know in the UK. Unfortunately, the other one was repainted in a different color a few years back.

Do you have a photo of the fender tag and the interior, by any chance? You could post it in The 1973 Chrysler Thread.

@IronMighty -- yours is the second turquoise NYB that I know in the UK. Unfortunately, the other one was repainted in a different color a few years back.

Do you have a photo of the fender tag and the interior, by any chance? You could post it in The 1973 Chrysler Thread.
Thanks, oddly this one was, looking at inside the door shuts, was originally a dark blue colour. Looks good in the pictures but body has definitely seen its fair share of bondo before the turquoise got laid down as its starting to crack now.
Yes, will add to the other thread

Back