1978 Chrysler New Yorker Brougham Salon 4-door hardtop in central OK

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Contact seller
1978 New Yorker Brougham Salon 4-dr hardtop for sale. I've owned this NYBS since Feb 2007. I am the fourth owner. One of about a dozen '78 Salon cars I am aware of!!! Very few built to start with. 440 auto, Salon package. This was a one-year only option package that consists of the following bits: Buffed Silver paint and Silver vinyl top. Imperial rear glass and fiberglass rear w/s plug. Silver leather wrapped steering wheel. Color-coded side mirrors. Silver velour power seats (red and leather were also available on Salon). Special one-year wheels that are the 15" Road Wheels with the aluminum Turbine covers, chrome center hat, and one-year reflective trim rings (15" cops are on it right now, but the originals sell with the car, I keep the cops!). Red pinstriping.

This was the very first factory production car built in the US that utilized a basecoat/clearcoat paint job, and was only available in Silver, and then again, only on the '78 NYB Salon!

Other options include AM/FM/8-track with power antenna and four speakers; and ALL of it works! Cigar lighters in the passenger door and the rear doors, and they work, too. Cornering lamps, fender-mounted t/signal lights. All of the power options function as they're supposed to (Six-way power seats/windows/locks/trunk lid). Factory spare with carpeted cover and original jack assembly. Perfect dash pad! All instrumentation works, as does the original digital dash clock.

The car has mostly original paint. The hood and the top of the trunk were redone at some time. Interior is all original, except for the headliner, which was replaced in '07. Tires are new 235-75R15 whitewalls with less than a thousand miles on them. Car is always stored inside, unless it is being driven. Muffler, oil pump, sending unit, and valve cover gaskets are new. New fuel pump and fuel filter. New water pump. Radiator was gone through. Cab rebuilt. LeanBurn was done away with and converted properly. No cat converter. A/C converted to R134. New belts and hoses. New front brake pads. Car has 106K miles.

The New Yorker had a small part involving a principal actor in the 2010 indie film "Heaven's Rain", filmed in Oklahoma.

The best mileage I got with the car was 20.1 mpg in a 255-mile r/t in 2010 when we were involved in the film.

It does have an exhaust leak at the right manifold, towards the back. No fluid leaks that I'm aware of. Drives straight and smooth.

Reason I'm selling??? I'm wanting to significantly downsize my little collection of six hobby cars and trucks, to keep one or perhaps two. The asking price is $3,900 cash money, not interested in negotiation or trades of any kind. If I get it, cool. I'm not desperate to sell by any means, so the asking price is firm. It's not a perfect '78 Salon, if it were, the price would be in the five digit range! It has a few very minor cosmetic needs, which I'll discuss privately with a serious buyer. Titled and tagged in MY name.

Car located in my shop in Oklahoma City, OK. PM me here for more info, thx.

Description of the Salon Clear Coat Appearance Package (A71, 1978 only)
--- Silver Crystal Coat Metallic (RA3), with Clear Coat treatment and High-Gloss buffing. Silver Elk Grain full vinyl top with Formal Rear Window. Red lower body side and deck stripe. Crushed Velour seats (leather optional) 50/50 bench seat in Dove Gray or Canyon Red. Padded Leather-wrapped steering wheel w/Tilt and Tele column. Aluminum Fascia Road Wheels with White Accent Stripe. JR78x15" whitewall radial tires. Mandatory Options: Fender Skirts, Trunk Dress-up kit, and Electric Rear Window Defroster.

Wow, Patrick, that's a really cool car & your price seems really reasonable. Good luck but I bet you'll find a buyer soon.

100_3042.jpg
Front pic of it, in my shop.

100_3042.jpg

Make that a dozen and one, I know where one is sitting rotting, a 2 door, silver leather and 440 with A/C, has regular roadwheels though, yours sound Very nice.

Nick

Does it still have the TQ and what axle and gear does it have?

I like it, best of luck with the sale. I'm partial to silver. More pics would help your cause and I'm sure all of us would love to see more of it.

I have the original wheels, caps, turbines and rings for all four. These will go on the car at sale. I keep the cop caps and wheels that are currently on the NYBS.

@66FIIIconv - The Salon option package was only on the four-door cars

@1978NYB - 2.76 9-1/4" rear. The TQ was overhauled two years ago.

More pics...

100_3042.jpg

nyb03.jpg

nyb02.jpg

nyb01.jpg

78ny dash1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! It has a steering wheel like mine!!!

DSC01968.jpg

IMHO, post a lot of detailed pictures of your car on FCBO and that will greatly enhance your sale opportunities.......many, many lurkers looking for unique C-bodies for sale on this forum. Pictures under the hood, more interior picture, undercarriage, just more closeup shots etc.

DSC01968.jpg

If someone is interested, I'll be more than happy to provide detailed pics of the car. My description is three times more than most on here, so from that and the pics provided, that is a better starting point than most.

I would consider a trade for just ONE vehicle, and that is a '77 Dodge Royal Monaco 2-door with either a 360 or 400, prefer triple-black (but will consider any color), with sunroof, in comparable condition to my NYBS.

I would consider a trade for just ONE vehicle, and that is a '77 Dodge Royal Monaco 2-door with either a 360 or 400, prefer triple-black (but will consider any color), with sunroof, in comparable condition to my NYBS.
BTW, you're not asking for much. LMFAO. Was one even built?

BTW, you're not asking for much. LMFAO. Was one even built?

Yup, at least one. My brother-in-law bought a triple black '77 RM 2-dr with power sunroof at the dealership he worked at in Lakewood, Colorado, in '77. He owned the car for about seven years, then gave it to his stepdad. He drove it until he died in 2008, so the car was around quite a while.

Everybody's favorite asshat GG doesn't even list C-bodies at all in his little book for '75 - '80 (exc. '75 Imperial), so I really have no idea how many were actually built.

His stepdad died, and the car was sold somewhere in Denver. It was in fair condition, overall, and had a little over 100K miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back