1973 Newport Coupe

DeMopuar

Reaction score
I couldn't believe my luck as I found a dry, rust free, nicely optioned 1973 Newport coupe 1/2 hour from my house. It has power steering, power disc brakes, A/C, AM radio, cruise, rim blow steering wheel, and an option called A82 with Navajo Copper Metallic exterior paint and the Navajo seat inserts on a white interior, with the copper shag carpeting -- Oh Behave............. I know the option code as it came with the factory window sticker too. It's really a dry car underneath -- I couldn't believe my luck. I'm not a huge fan (no pun intended) of the front end of these cars, but the car was so nice, and the drive home was sublime to say the least. It was one of the most enjoyable drives I've had in a LONG time when I picked it up two weeks ago. The odometer says 76,000 plus some and it feels like it. It drives straight as an arrow.

IMG_5661.jpgIMG_5659.jpgIMG_5664.jpgIMG_5665.jpgIMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

IMG_5665.jpg

IMG_5659.jpg

That's the first one that I've seen with a black vinyl roof, most are white

Yes, it says V1X on the window sticker -- this should be black I believe? Looking at the trim around the rear window and front windshield glass trim doesn't look like it's ever been removed either. The guy I bought it from says it was always inside when he had it, and the older woman he purchased it from always had it inside too. I know everyone is dying to get those wire wheel caps off of me. I know -- they're gorgeous. I was so happy to see the original hub caps in the trunk when the guy showed me the car. I haven't had a chance to change them yet -- but don't worry, the originals are going back on.

Did Newports ever come with rear fender skirts? I don't think this car came with them, but I gotta get it up in the air better to check it out.

All I can saw is "wow" - you really scored. I really like those Navajo interiors. Beautiful car. Mind telling us how much it cost you? Sweet!

This was a CraigsList ad and the guy was asking $6,500. There is a wrinkle in the front on the driver's side by the headlamp, so I scored this for $5,000 and drove it home knowing that I'll have to take the whole front carefully apart to do the repair the damage to the fender and the headlamp piece. It'll get documented with photos of what fastener goes where so this can go back the exact same way.

Hey, it's not a Polara convertible, but it's a super dry, rust free car with a really nice interior and that's why I bought it. And the colors aren't too bad either. You don't see dry Mopars like this very often -- I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this one.

Did Newports ever come with rear fender skirts? I don't think this car came with them, but I gotta get it up in the air better to check it out.
My dad bought a new '73 Newport off the lot, same color and interior as yours but with a white vinyl top. It had a 400 and it came with skirts, I thought they really looked good on it. I've seen probably 4 of those cars over the years and all of them had white tops. Looks like a nice car,weird thing is I just found the dash ashtray in the garage not too long ago for his '73, need one?

Nice score, I'm glad you have the original wheel covers.

Very nice! I like the simplified trim on the 73 Newports. The front end will grow on ya, I promise!

If it had rear skirts, check for a 1/2" long post pointing down from the top of the fender well, along with a bracket at the rear of the well where the attaching screw would go in.

Were wire wheel covers stock in 73? I would think the Newports would come with stamped hub caps....

The seat cover fabric insets look like guitar straps!

Very nice. I like the 73's. Some road wheels would look great.

1973_chrysler_newport_2___door_special_edition_with_rare_navajo_package_1_lgw.jpg

1973_chrysler_newport_2___door_special_edition_with_rare_navajo_package_1_lgw.jpg

The car is amazing. Nice score. Hope the underside looks as good as it does on top. Agree with the comment above about road wheels.

so how much you selling it for?

I don't want to say that there is no number I would sell it for, but I know the reality of the situation and I know there is a limit to how much anyone would want to pay for something like this.

So this bad boy will stay in my garage.

Yes, this car looks as good underneath as on the top, and trust me, I know what that means. Most people don't know what a rust free car is -- I will post some photos of the underneath when I get it up on my Backyard Buddy lift when I change oil. Trust me, the trunk extensions are mint as is the trunk floor, and of course the front stub frame. I brought my LED flashlight when I went to look at it. I think the guy I bought it from probably thought I was crazy getting all dirty crawling under the car -- I didn't care, I had a change of clothes for the drive home anyway..............mama didn't raise a fool after all.

I really like those road wheels!! My car did come factory with 15 inch rims, so where would I find road wheels like this? Those are smoking.....................

Just found this thread. Beautiful car!

As @dude69300 and @polara71 said, @DeMopuar's car sports a rarely seen top color for a Navajo. Assuming you are still in Wisconsin, is there any chance that you might join this year's CATL with her? The CATL date is not yet set in stone, but it'll likely be the Saturday following Labor Day. In that case, I would bring along Ming, my newly-acquired '73 NYB, so as to get a couple of well-preserved, rare-color 1973 Chryslers together. Otherwise, I'll bring instead Snow White, my '70 Polara 'vert.

Last edited:
Back