1973 tc

While waiting for a new voltage regulator to arrive, I got a tax decision, paid it and got licence plates :) Started to do H4 conversion with relay kit, but it is still -30 outside, not really interested to go out :D

While waiting for a new voltage regulator to arrive, I got a tax decision, paid it and got licence plates :) Started to do H4 conversion with relay kit, but it is still -30 outside, not really interested to go out :D
great commentary-I have one similar to this one-great ride

Changed new voltage regulator, still 16 volts :( I'll probably throw original alternator away and change something other. I have always hated Mopar alternators, I have swapped modern alternators to all my Mopars...

I sent a letter to 1986 owner, I'm hoping he'll answer something
A few days ago I got email from his daughter. He is eldery man and in full time care. He did not remember much anymore, did remember the car though. He could tell that real mileage is more than 69k, maybe 169k. It was nice to hear that they got the letter and were the right person. Finding address was easier that I could ever thought.

A few days ago I got email from his daughter. He is eldery man and in full time care. He did not remember much anymore, did remember the car though. He could tell that real mileage is more than 69k, maybe 169k. It was nice to hear that they got the letter and were the right person. Finding address was easier that I could ever thought.

When he was not in full time care, he told me that the car was only 69K miles. I doubt the engine/trans would run as well as it does if it has so many miles, especially when it had a hitch on it too. He told me he rarely drove it but that he did park it outside since he did not drive it much and needed the garage space. And I recall the brake pedal did not show much wear either - if I am remembering correctly.

Did we talk to same owner, there is two eldery man before you. He sold it in 2001 and lived in Everett WA and in Bellevue WA. Engine does run smooth and transmission works great, so it could not have more than 169k. Even so, it's just number to me, most important is that it works great :) BTW, noise from rear end did come from wheel bearings. With new bearings, nothing at all :)

I got email from the eldery man you bought it from too. He just said he never drove it, nor never did anything to it.

It had trailer hitch too? Nothing left anymore of it, I'll have to make my own.

Had a busy january, did not have garage time. Today I installed licence plates and checked alternator and voltage regulator wiring. Wiring and groundings are ok, so problem must be in alt. I ordered a new stock type 78A alt, hope it works.

Charging problem was in ignition switch, lost a couple volts there and regulator hopped charging voltage up. Luckily disassembling and cleaning was enough, only old grease inside. Now I can drive it again, next fix is transmission leak, it leaks from selector seal.

Last edited:
I opened carb a couple days ago. There was rust and dirt inside, acc pump was dried and cracked etc. I ordered overhaul kit and nos vacuum choke pull off. It was super rich with choke, it was blowing black smoke and running rough when cold. After some warming, it worked pretty good. I already cleaned the carb in ultrasonic cleaner, now waiting for new parts to arrive.

I either dropped or cleaner ate the pump discharge check needle. What size it should be? I got a spare from AFB, it is same size? I could not find what is should be in TQ.

I got parts for carb and I've been driving for a couple days now. When started from cold, It starts great. After 20 seconds idling, or driving, it starts running rough. When cold indicator shuts off, it is warm enough to run great. Is that a choke adjusted wrong or where I should look?
I also found a set of road wheels, need to find two center caps.

Hi Matti!

To my untrained eye they look like these (stolen from @capyjack :)):

post-95665-0-46221000-1441813776.jpg

Then they would come from a 1970 Chrysler 300.

Last edited:
Ummm...still looks like 1970 Chrysler 300 to me. Only the small cap in the middle seems different or is missing in my first pic:

%2771_Chrysler_300_(Orange_Julep_%2710).jpg

It's not that, here is better picture in different angle

1974-1978 C-Bodies. They were available for all of those cars as an option. The 1970-1973 C-Body road wheel is the same only difference is the dome and cap (wheel centers as everyone calls them) as pictured in the previous post. They all interchange.

I found a full set of AMC center caps, these look pretty much same as earlier caps. Close enough for me at least :) Haven't had time to sandblast wheels, we changed summer tires with steelies with my 2 year old son. He is very interested of working with these, I hope it'll stay that way :)

I've had a little problem with carb. Accelerator pump stopped working, it wasn't shooting at all. I checked nozzles and tube, all good. Pump piston gasket was twisted. I assembled it again, now it is just dripping some. Maybe pump check valve is clogged and pump does not get fuel?

There was a couple rolls of woodgrain in trunk when I bought the car. I tested it in tailgate how it looks and does it hold on. So far so good, looks much better than worn out original.

I've been really busy last two months, barely have even driven T&C. We bought my childhood home from my parents and we have been moving in.
Last weekend we had a local cruise night. There was ~90 old cars crawling, and T&C did not like that. It started to hesitate at idle and almost died several times. I found that plastic end of coil was cracked and it bubbled oil, probably it overheated. I changed some Bosch coil that I found, no long time experience yet.
Last night I started with washing, then polishing. Just when I found right mood, I ran out of polishing paste... I ordered Meguiars 105 and 205 polish, will get these next week. Then I took woodgrain roll and cut it in right widht and mocked it. To be continued after I receive polish...
IMG-20160714-WA0009.jpeg
_20160715_005151.JPG
IMG-20160715-WA0002.jpeg
DSC_0404.JPG
DSC_0405.JPG

Still really busy with other things (fixing livingroom, toilet etc...)
Starter did not engage all times so I changed it to other I had. I also have been fighting with alternator, I really hate original alt since it does not have good charging at idle. Cruising around town is mostly near idle => empty battery. I don't know if that had something to do with that, but my battery also died. 6 years old red top Optima, not new but not that old either.
I went to local junkyard and took alternator from some 90's Honda Accord. It was pretty direct fit, needed new spacers, new double groove pulley and ½" shorter long bolt. Bolt spacing and wiring fits directly. Now I have constant 14.5 volts from idle to high revs :)

The other one is for my small block Valiant and it's from late 80's Toyota Corolla. Honda alt is better fit for both.

Thermoquad has been a pita too. It must leak internally somewhere, blowing black soot like a diesel at cold, bad mileage and performance, runs rough at idle... I loaned a 750 Edelbrock from a friend and what a difference it made! Runs much better at idle, much better response and performance. Could not say about mileage yet, I've just driven only 200 miles with it. I'd still like to fix thermoquad, any hints where to get good quality parts for it? At spring I installed locally bought repair kit and accelerator pump lasted a week...

Back