1973 tc

Damn dailydrivers, no time to work with this one :(
Second layer to roof and spare tire compartment and some STP to floors. A couple weeks ago I changed a sure grip center from my Valiant to this. Valiant got a new 3,91 SG unit and old 3.23 SG went here. It was original unit from 1965, must be New Yorker or similar which gave rear end for my Valiant years ago. Don't beat me, I bought it already narrowed to A-body, it had already done in late 70's or early 80's :)
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg

Got the rear part of carpet installed today. I probably have to glue it under rear seat, there are some wrinkles there that I want to get rid of. Carpet was about 4" short under rear seat hinges. Luckily I had some leftovers from seat upholstery. Not 100% same, but close enough. I had new sliders made with 3D printer, old ones were broken to pieces.
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg

Got the rear part of carpet installed today. I probably have to glue it under rear seat, there are some wrinkles there that I want to get rid of. Carpet was about 4" short under rear seat hinges. Luckily I had some leftovers from seat upholstery. Not 100% same, but close enough. I had new sliders made with 3D printer, old ones were broken to pieces.
View attachment 157746 View attachment 157747 View attachment 157748
Those seats and carpet look fantastic. It looks brand new.

You are putting a lot of effort into making something that looks like a good daily driver and "family hauling" vehicle. Have you found any good options for seat belts for children - specifically shoulder belts, for the back seat?

I haven't found a good option (yet) but I'd like to have 3 point seat belts to at least front and middle seats. Will keep looking :)
Not much progress here, front seats are in too.
_bigthumb.jpg
_bigthumb.jpg

Tried to strip old woodgrain, but its is very slow progress. I´ve tried heatgun, but woodgrain is so dried and in small pieces that it does not work. Then I tried sticker removing pad to cleaning machine. It works, but very slow too... What else I could try?
_bigthumb.jpg

I haven't found a good option (yet) but I'd like to have 3 point seat belts to at least front and middle seats. Will keep looking :)
Not much progress here, front seats are in too.
View attachment 170262 View attachment 170263

Tried to strip old woodgrain, but its is very slow progress. I´ve tried heatgun, but woodgrain is so dried and in small pieces that it does not work. Then I tried sticker removing pad to cleaning machine. It works, but very slow too... What else I could try?
View attachment 170264
There is a product in the US called "Goo Gone". I think it is citrus based (weak acid). That can loosen old adhesive. Not sure if you have that in Finland.

Should be your car came with overhead attached shoulder belt - for the front seat only - from the factory. If it is missing that, it's an easy replacement part, someone will sell it on line. But that doesn't fix the rear seats issue.

And I have the same dried wood grain issue on my Monaco. I have soaked with Goo Gone, but over the years the wood grain is now chemically as hard to remove as old paint. It's a fossilized mess. I think you either want to replace yours with new, or just strip the old w.g. off and polish the underlying original paint? So if you figure something out let me know! I can't find exact replacement for my wood grain so I will probably just have a paint shop strip it off and repaint the whole car just the base color blue ("boring" monochrome!).

I recently sold my 1973 Monaco black wagon. The guy that bought it from me is working with a mutual friend of ours to reproduce the original woodgrain decals for the 1973 Monaco wagons. They would probably work just fine on the 1972 models as well I think. The guy that does this work is real expert in the field of decals, pinstripes and so on. So they should turn out well. Will keep the site updated as things unfold.

2004-01-01 00.00.27.jpg

I recently sold my 1973 Monaco black wagon. The guy that bought it from me is working with a mutual friend of ours to reproduce the original woodgrain decals for the 1973 Monaco wagons. They would probably work just fine on the 1972 models as well I think. The guy that does this work is real expert in the field of decals, pinstripes and so on. So they should turn out well. Will keep the site updated as things unfold.

View attachment 170357
That's great! Please keep me posted! I am definitely interested for my 73!

I am sorry to hear you sold your black wagon. It is a beautiful car. I hope the new owner posts occasionally on this site.

The guy that bought it from me is working with a mutual friend of ours to reproduce the original woodgrain decals for the 1973 Monaco wagons.
Would be interesting if the woodgrain decal could also be made a solid color. A white car with that decal in red would pop...or a blue car with the decal in white.

View attachment 170357

Im sure I seen this car about 20 years ago in the bay area of california. Hard go forget this black beauty

That was fast. It took less than 48 hours after I paid it to get it to my garage door. Truck freight from southern Sweden to northern Finland. Faster than mailing a letter in same town :D
Some parts are missing, alternator, ps pump etc, but should not be difficult to find. Although I'm still thinking should I keep the magnum multigroove or change to LA v-groove belts. My VW project at background, tiny car almost fits in Chryslers trunk :D
View attachment 100512
If you're going to pull the big block Mopar out, may as well go with an upgrade. Check this out. 700 hp. AND it's got a secret ingredient: "SISU"

Would be interesting if the woodgrain decal could also be made a solid color. A white car with that decal in red would pop...or a blue car with the decal in white.
There is a yellow Monaco with an off shade yellow painted in the same rectangular pattern as the wood grain, in the same location as where the wood grain normally would be. See Hot Rod article. It looks bodacious. I'll post.

PS BeepBeep Dave has a red one with White accent, yes indeed it does pop and sizzle. With the black buckets it's sporty.

Here's the article, includes cheesy title...

Redirect Notice

Back