1974 Chrysler New Yorker Armored details

Any idea of the curb weight on that? Wonder how it drove with all that extras.

Screenshot_2018-06-13-15-05-14.jpg

Interesting New Yorker you got there and welcome to FCBO.

It looks like a custom armored car by Brewster or another of the State Deoartment contractors at the time.

I would contact the US State department as to their approved vendors at the time and start there. I would imagine that there aren’t that many of these made at all.

Hi,
I am new here in forum,

Please I need details such how many built , if any more exist , where was built and so one, can anybody help ?

Welcome.

How many built?- There is no way to know how many were built.

Any exist? - there is no way to know that. WE didn't know this car existed until you posted the pictures. No one has a complete data base of how many cars exist.

Where was built?-It was built at the Jefferson assembly plant in Detroit, Michigan.

I don't think there is anything noteworthy about the fender tag. All the codes are pretty standard codes and placement.

This car was Special Ordered Y39, which should be expected if it was ordered as a diplomatic car, and carries the N VON code. Beyond that, the tag doesn't tell us much.

What I do find odd for a diplomatic car is the interior. I would anticipate a black, or possibly white, interior on a black diplomatic car. This one is blue. Blue was an approved interior color for the black exterior but I still find this car having a blue interior to be an odd choice.

Then why only on the right side? Unless the one for the left side is missing.
Curb side?
No, only one fitted
Tomorrow will take some pictures
I'm going to submit my SWAG and say the handle is probably to assist holding the curbside rear door with all it's extra weight while the passengers loaded and unloaded... I'd guess it was more likely an add on piece after they tore off a few pot metal factory handles.

I know that doesn't take into account places where they drive on the wrong side of the street... so pure speculation on my part.

I'm going to submit my SWAG and say the handle is probably to assist holding the curbside rear door with all it's extra weight while the passengers loaded and unloaded... I'd guess it was more likely an add on piece after they tore off a few pot metal factory handles.

I know that doesn't take into account places where they drive on the wrong side of the street... so pure speculation on my part.

37242F3D-8010-41DA-91A8-F1AC103B6055.jpeg

Welcome.

How many built?- There is no way to know how many were built.

Any exist? - there is no way to know that. WE didn't know this car existed until you posted the pictures. No one has a complete data base of how many cars exist.

Where was built?-It was built at the Jefferson assembly plant in Detroit, Michigan.

I don't think there is anything noteworthy about the fender tag. All the codes are pretty standard codes and placement.

This car was Special Ordered Y39, which should be expected if it was ordered as a diplomatic car, and carries the N VON code. Beyond that, the tag doesn't tell us much.

What I do find odd for a diplomatic car is the interior. I would anticipate a black, or possibly white, interior on a black diplomatic car. This one is blue. Blue was an approved interior color for the black exterior but I still find this car having a blue interior to be an odd choice.

I find it odd that you find it odd.

Don't we have another member with a secret service car in the same combo? I think this was fairly popular with Federal types, and I've seen civilian cars decked out the same way. (black/blue)

Now I want to know what’s inside those doors and if the hinges are stock because judging by the body line in that last pic I’m guessing the doors are heavy and the hinges are stock.

Pretty moldy inside. I'd start by getting it outside, opening all the doors and airing it out. You may find some info on who did the coach work in the trunk or after removing the door panels.
I'm dying to see how thick the armor plating is inside those doors.

Now I want to know what’s inside those doors and if the hinges are stock because judging by the body line in that last pic I’m guessing the doors are heavy and the hinges are stock.

To be fair, I think it's slightly open.

I hope it's slightly open. :0

Gadzooks, maybe not!

I have tested numerous armored civilian vehicles in recent years for endurance, performance and ballistic capabilities at the Army Test Center.

More than likely the door handle was moved because of the thickness of the ballistic glass and whatever armor plate that is inside of the door. Almost every armored civilian vehicle I have tested the windows are in a fixed position and won't open.

Back