1974 Chrysler New Yorker Armored details

I hope it's more than 3/16th's. I thought I was good with that thickness for a target for my .223 Colt Sporter. Nahhh, burned a whole the size of my pinky thru it!
After that I laugh at the movies when a guy is hiding behind a garbage can or filing cabinet and being shot at with an AR. Lol

I hope it's more than 3/16th's. I thought I was good with that thickness for a target for my .223 Colt Sporter. Nahhh, burned a whole the size of my pinky thru it!
After that I laugh at the movies when a guy is hiding behind a garbage can or filing cabinet and being shot at with an AR. Lol
Engine block may provide protection... AFAIAC, anything else is just camouflage... I like when Hollywood uses drywall for bullet protection the best :realcrazy:

I have tested numerous armored civilian vehicles in recent years for endurance, performance and ballistic capabilities at the Army Test Center.

More than likely the door handle was moved because of the thickness of the ballistic glass and whatever armor plate that is inside of the door. Almost every armored civilian vehicle I have tested the windows are in a fixed position and won't open.
I never got to play around with anything armored... but during my early days at MB I often stumbled into the "special protection" information of their factory packaged cars... never worked on one, but they used hydraulics on moveable glass... and had various reinforced suspension components. Personally, I'm more curious what was done to help her carry the weight.

On a personal note, IDK why you'd want to lower bullet resistant glass...

On a personal note, IDK why you'd want to lower bullet resistant glass...

Um, like cause you can't lean out a closed window to yell at your homies or toss your cookies? Fer sure!

fotolia_48397072_subscription_monthly_m_w1024.jpg

Exactly....thats the purpose of the ballstic glass.
Breath when the A/c goes out......?

Speaking of which. There may be some extra sealing around a/c air intake against gas.

Would love to see suspension details too..... if only to document it here.

I was hoping he’d just pull the inner door panel off...

Ummm... thank you... but that was a bit more than expected or desired.

Bob would certainly know more, but I suspect that is more about deflecting than stopping... not a very happy thought. Maybe there is another plate under the door panel inside?

Very primitive 1970's armor protection.Rockets were the assassination weapon of choice then. They used a shape charge so that armor pattern is designed to deflect the energy from the shape charge.

We use a lot of composite and other materials these days.

Back