For Sale 1975 imperial sunroof car cheap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno...I've lived my life in Northern Illinois, and have seen REAL rust. The type where frames and suspension pieces turn into the consistency of a saltine cracker. Out of necessity, in the past I've been forced to drive vehicles that would flex all over because the structure of the whole body was compromised. Maybe that's why I don't part a car out until it's really really really rusty...I don't see that being the case with this example. Maybe if it had been sitting for years, but to take it off the road to strip it, just seems like a damn shame.

I agree, this one still has a lot of enjoyment to deliver.

Morning gents,

75LandYacht, message sent and I’m sure we’ll talk over the phone later.

Cantflip, the interior appears to be all original and doesn’t appear to have been dyed.

Blimp, I understand what you’re saying in relation to the difference between cosmetic rust and structural rust. Even though this car definitely doesn’t have any structural rust, it has enough sheet metal rust where it would take a ton of work to stop further corrosion.also, the car has been sitting for 30years so it hasn’t been on the road in a long time. I plan on posting some rust pictures this evening to show everyone what I’m talking about.

Thanks guys,

Nate

And as much as I think it's a shame, I understand that's just the way it is sometimes. If it does get parted, could I put my name down as interested in the front seat belts? Id like to retrofit a retractable set into my 72 Monaco

Scott, see the attached data tag. Approximately how many of this era imperial or New Yorker were ordered with this option? It has to be rare.

Blimp, I have an interested party in perhaps acquiring the entire car. I should know one way or another here soon. If it is to be parted out we can certainly discuss the sale of the front seat belts.

Everyone, I have attached some pictures detailing some of the cosmetic lower sheet metal rust. Additionally I'm showing some general exterior and interior pics as well. Please let me know if anyone wants to see something specific.

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2606.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

IMG_2609.JPG

IMG_2610.JPG

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2613.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

Thanks Nate for the tag pic and extra pics. I have some numbers for the 1974 Imperials - the 1975 Ward's Automotive Yearbook (1974 models) says 5.9% of Imperials got a sunroof - which equates to about 750 sunroof Imperials for 1974 (total production of 14,426).

But I don't have good sunroof numbers for 1975 Imperials - but we can estimate. 1975 Imperial production was down by about 40% from 1974 - 8,830. So, if the sunroof installation rate for 1975 was similar to 1974, then about 450 Imperials got a sunroof in 1975. How many of those are still around??? - I bet less than 100 still exist, probably less then 50 is a better number.

I hope someone takes on the challenge!

yes, it does have some rust.

But IMHO it still could be used as a summer daily driver.
If you don't drive it in the salt in the future it won't fall into pieces in the next years.
And I wouldn't worry to drive around with those rustholes.
Better than a parted & dead C-body

Carsten

A little Ospho to stop it and I have less rusty parts that could help with repairs. The key to this is the condition of the inside solves much of the restoration hassles... shame that she'd need to be painted, but IDK how easy that would be to avoid with a similar sunroof car. They are at the age where most need or have been repainted.

Nate, if the other deal falls apart... I might be interested in some of the leftovers. I wish I had the ability to save her myself though. If she sells whole, I can workout something with the new owner on my sheet metal collection. My parts mule is more solid, but not rust free.

I think it is important to remove the "restoration point of view" in general for many full size cars.
A resto would be a financial disaster for 90% of the C-bodies.
But that doesn't mean to me they should be partet.
For many Fullsize cars it is important for me to "keep them on the road". I rather see a running&driving rusty "condition 4" C-body on the road than it being pressed as a new Hyundai and only a handful of parts survive.

I think many cars could still bee used many moons till the ultimate rust or technical death is there

Carsten

20180316_184709.jpg
I totally agree Carsten. A couple months ago this beauty was in a bowling alley parking lot. It's refreshing to see C bodies being used daily, even if they aren't show quality material or clean survivors.
20180316_184654.jpg

If I had the time, I would just buy a no-rust but cheap-and-less-desirable Chrysler formal, like a brown '76 base-model Newport. Slowly, one weekend at a time, pieces of this Imperial would begin to migrate, until it had been assimilated like the Borg.

And hurray for the oldies still mixing it up in traffic! They prove to a new generation that it can still be done!

IMG_20161217_121855_zpsf6ittie1.jpg

I think it's a Cape.
Nice work, regardless the potato, potahto, thing.

I thought a Cape had to have little bumpouts/windows on the second floor?

Thanks.

Ironically I bought the house as an investment/rental because of the property. At one time I planned to move the existing house onto a new basement and split the lot. Then the market went in the toilet, so I moved in and started re-habbing. I'm 45 and have never owned a home that wasn't an investment/flip.

Next time it will be a wide 60s-looking ranch on a big lot with potential for a car-barn-shop of some kind. Even if that means starting on a vacant lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back