SOLD 1975 Plymouth Gran Fury Brougham Coupe

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have all the info that I know about it. I'm an over the road truck driver and I drive by it on the interstate every so often. I always forget where that place is, so it sneaks up on me, and I'm never prepared to stop and look. The only other thing I can tell you is that dealer has no internet presence whatsoever. The last time I spotted the car I had two friends who were in the market for a C-Body. I searched everywhere on the internet and could not find any listings or pictures of the car on any of the usual classic car venues. That's probably the main reason why it's still around, and I'm guessing the price is probably quite strong too.

I do have an opinion on prices for it. I think 4K would be a bargain, 5K would be a nice deal. 6K-7K would be about right for a dealer, and I think you could even make a case for 8K based on uniqueness and condition. It could be one of a kind these days. I've never seen another '74-'77 like it.

I had been hoping that someone in our group would spot it some day and post some info, though I thought it would likely be someone who lived close by to it.

Jeff

Update. Mileage is 81,000, documented as original according to seller.

Seller said he DID get it last year. Bought from a funeral home where the widow (since passed away) traded IN the car for her husbands funeral. I guess I misunderstood what he said to me Saturday .. so be it.

Seller said he got it with ~79K miles but drove it last fall to various shows, put it away in November, brought it out again a couple month ago. Swears all-original except tires and exhaust .. I saw NO evidence to the contrary when i inspected it two days

says everything works but couldnt confirm AC works THIS YEAR (red flag one - he could just go out and try it) but it worked "last year".

cannot send me underhood pics citing digital illiteracy (red flag two - but his only marketing is interstate visibilty and local (nearest BIG city is 100+ miles away) car shows. This car's worldwide marketing debut on the internet MAY be this very thread.

red flag three - I cannot drive it, get a seat of the pants feel for it, confirm what works/doesnt work ..but I can mitigate ALL this with an independent inspection. a bit more costly since the place (though by a major interstate IS out in the boonies.

says his advertised price last year was mid teens ... yeah, he really did say that. of course it didnt sell. its NOT mid teens now, not even five digits but still pricey. Some would judge it a bargain .. some would call me nuts.

I respect all peoples' opinions on price, but that wont sway me either way. i know what I want and what I can afford. :)

He is willing to keep it indoors for me until I pick it up. He's been in business at this location for 30 years. My spidey sense aint tingling since I have SEEN this car in person and my last doubts will be erased by an inspection. He wont cash my check, seeking a bank check for entire balance.

Yes we agreed on price .. my check will keep it inside (and effectively off the market) but I need it inspected by end of week, and any alleged previous interested parties with a superior offer can push mine aside and buy it .. I will take that risk and take the time for an inspection anyway.

thats all the news thats fit to print. :) thanks again for peoples' input on this thread. This is a really nice car and I too am hoping it works out.

I guess I get to be the first to say it - that is undoubtedly an Amazinblue82 car. That belongs in your collection.
Mid-teens for price was nuts, $8500-ish (my guess based on a comment you made) isn't terrible considering all 'the specs' on it.
And I'm not saying Road Wheels are worth $3000, but I'd call it a $5000-5500 car if it had wheelcovers. Road Wheels simply say 'that person knew what they were doing, and here stands the evidence'.

Last edited:
A mere Fury outpacing New Yorker Broughams on the appreciation scale??? Sacre-bleu!!!
The Formal world is indeed a strange and mysterious arena.
And thatt car is freak8ng gorgeous.

A mere Fury outpacing New Yorker Broughams on the appreciation scale??? Sacre-bleu!!!

absolument une voiture magnifique!

on the serious tip, like many of you, we see/have seen lots of cars. Come noonish tomorrow post-inspection, I'll know whats the true skinny on this one.

To me this car is absolutely what it appears to be in photos .. it isnt a 10-footer that simply looks good in pictures .. its a 10-incher that can withstand close inspection with the best HD cameras in the world .. our OWN eyes. A well taken care of, 44 year old used car that somebody LOVED and DROVE.

Highly optioned, except for battery, exhaust, and tires, it was born at the factory JUST the way it sits now, a few one-yr-only design features, and a small group (to which I belong) of folks who really love 'em .. well it MAY outpace other cars in this isolated case simply due to its condition and relative 'rarity" vs other GF's of the era.

9 outta 10 times a NYB "wins" the price thing as they were superior cars with lotsa panache. This old GF can hold its own though :)

I guess I get to be the first to say it - that is undoubtedly an Amazinblue82 car. That belongs in your collection.
Mid-teens for price was nuts, $8500-ish (my guess based on a comment you made) isn't terrible considering all 'the specs' on it.
And I'm not saying Road Wheels are worth $3000, but I'd call it a $5000-5500 car if it had wheelcovers. Road Wheels simply say 'that person knew what they were doing, and here stands the evidence'.

I am a formal nut tis true .. but the full extent of my "affliction" means a LOTTA cars could (did) find their way in my fleet -- i am mainly showing the C's and just the Mopars here.

As to price, as I said earlier, some may say i got a deal, other may say I got rooked. $16K was NEVER the right price for this car .. but i can understand why the seller MAY have thought that at first. He's been at the car game he says for nearly 60 years. But he was wrong as to price initially, conflating condition with market price on C's in the formal era, and he's still on the high side to me .. but that's how it goes.

I hope to be bringing her home soon :)

Last edited:
Me too!!!
The odds are incredibly high that Fury could fall into the hands of the wrong person.

if "they" (a lurker here, or an interested party following this thread) can find it, and walk in with cash .. and if the seller decides to stiff me (he gave me till tomorrow, he's keeping it inside and outta sight, he did NOT cash my check, he answers whenever i call .. so hes behaving in good faith, trustworthy way tho), then somebody will get a nice nice car :)

i feel good about my chances ... but you;re right. ya never know. reason why its posted here though was my initial and current hope that if i dont get it, the "Right Person" here will see it and go for it.

alls good ... so it looks like shes coming to join some friends living in my storage building.

woo-hoo.gif

You know, years ago I would have said the same thing... even down to the Françé.

But after getting cozy with my RMB, I sorta like that it isn't the all-too common NYB*. And I'm only half-joking. I'm at ground zero for old Mopardom and see at least one in traffic everyday in the summer. (Today was a Sublime '70 RR @ 16/utica; you know where they had the big Trump rally in '16?) Anyway, I'll bet I see a different formal NYB once a month. But never another formal Monaco or Fury.

*this offer applies only to the really loaded-up Brougham versions, not the fleet specials.

Make sure it gets some time out in the exercise yard!

Every "horse in the barn" gets at least 250 miles every April-Oct now that the herd has thinned a bit .. they all hiberate on blocks Nov-April due to the snow :)

Awesome Car.
I thought I'd share my vehicle and story .....
Well, it was 4.30am, I'm as drunk as 10 monkeys, surfing eBay & I spied my Triple Black, 1976 Chrysler New Yorker, Brougham, 2Door Coupe, 440 V8, 50K gen miles.
T'was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen (drunk remember), so I slapped down the "Buy it Now" price of $5k
Then I had to learn how to get it towed & Imported to Australia, that's over 3 years ago now & she's my daily driver, never missed a beat, touching 80k miles now !
Enjoy the pics, Big Jim - Adelaide, South Australia
NewYorker#4.JPG
NewYorker#b.jpg
NewYorker#c.jpg

Every "horse in the barn" gets at least 250 miles every April-Oct now that the herd has thinned a bit .. they all hiberate on blocks Nov-April due to the snow :)

off topic ... but i do get the fleet out for exercise. last year i had '73 WSP Polara out. i'll make a gallery of this one too. yup, E86 car like all the others. '77 BP Patrol car was out too .. parked in front of this one.

2017-10-17 18.17.50.jpg
1-1973 Polara.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back