1975 Police Car

No spot light either .. maybe hwy patrol didn't get those though dontknow.gif

dontknow.gif

couple things on this one.

though a Detroit Craigslist liistng, the map is "Tehachapi" California. IF its in fact in metro Detroit area, and anybody is interested in it, I'd be happy to go look at it for you. 20 minutes with it and I can tell you exactly what's going on with it.

second, there are a few things that look "unusual" about it, some of which has been observed already. i am not criticizing it at all..it just looks different than I would expect. one big thing that would help the listing is for seller to show the fender tag to help confirm the "cop" pedigree..the B body squads are very collectible if "real".

What else do you see that is unusual?

thanks for asking, and i want to say this without sounding like a "wise-***" .

i dont think its an original factory black car given its from a city municipality and has a green interior, for same reason (ie., local PD car) it shouldn't be a pursuit-class rig, should have a spotlight, its got the 1978 "kidney-slot" cop wheels, radio head unit/mics generally not mounted as shown..plus the way it sits is not correct (could just be the tires, noting that.the HD cop-spec leaf springs made them sit higher naturally).

additionally, a few years back (2007 or so) a big flock of B body cop cars were "discovered" (legitimately) in California. guys were snapping them up left and right for practically nothing..then some got cloned into CHP cars and flipped to the unsuspecting, small block cars became big block cars and got repainted non-original colors. etc.

nothing illegal and maybe not a big deal, unless you want a real, numbers-matching cop car..hence my observation for the seller to improve his lot perhaps with more "proof" on what his car was born with versus the way it looks now.

I agree, just a few red flags for me.
The green interior cought my eye as well.

Alan

Might be a scam. Go to whatever craigslist search engine (I used Searchtempest.com) and look up 1975 Plymouth Fury pursuit. The car comes up for sale in numerous different states, which is almost always a scam. The Ca tags & on the car & scenery are a tip off as well.

The car is not a scam. A freind of a freinds son owns the car out in cali. Not sure why its posted in a bunch of places though.... Maybe just for exposure. He hasnt had the car for long. Year, or 2 maybe?? Idk. I told my buddy to tell him to post a pic up of the fender tag. Hopefully they will.

The car is not a scam. A freind of a freinds son owns the car out in cali. Not sure why its posted in a bunch of places though.... Maybe just for exposure. He hasnt had the car for long. Year, or 2 maybe?? Idk. I told my buddy to tell him to post a pic up of the fender tag. Hopefully they will.

A serious buyer will wanna know a lot about this car, so your advice to them was good I think.

If it was a Sacremento city car, it still could be a pursuit car (E86, 440 HP), and it still could have been black if it was a detective/captain/supervisor kinda car. I think though the regular patrol cars would have been "LA" engines (318/360) and white/over green paint scheme.

Anyway, anything they can do the authenticate it, or otherwise help confirm whatever may have been done to it (if anything) since it was built, couldn't hurt its chances for a successful sale. I hope its everything they think it is..and more. :icon_smile:

A serious buyer will wanna know a lot about this car, so your advice to them was good I think.

If it was a Sacremento city car, it still could be a pursuit car (E86, 440 HP), and it still could have been black if it was a detective/captain/supervisor kinda car. I think though the regular patrol cars would have been "LA" engines (318/360) and white/over green paint scheme.

Anyway, anything they can do the authenticate it, or otherwise help confirm whatever may have been done to it (if anything) since it was built, couldn't hurt its chances for a successful sale. I hope its everything they think it is..and more. :icon_smile:

Would there be a paint code on the fender tag or is it the 999 code with the specific paint info on the build sheet for cop cars?

Would there be a paint code on the fender tag or is it the 999 code with the specific paint info on the build sheet for cop cars?

On the Special Order Paint (999) code there is no other information on the paint on the tags, you need the contract info or know what that agency used. On my car it is a 999, 999 paint code one for the body the other for the roof, the whit is a special order color not just the white of the day. The black on the other hand was the factory 69 black (not all blacks are the same). I’m guessing that they didn’t use the black paint code as the front doors were not black (“Special Mask”).

Alan
PS The CHP white is DQE8000 a 50's GM Fleet White, also called Pure White

On the Special Order Paint (999) code there is no other information on the paint on the tags, you need the contract info or know what that agency used. On my car it is a 999, 999 paint code one for the body the other for the roof, the whit is a special order color not just the white of the day. The black on the other hand was the factory 69 black (not all blacks are the same). I’m guessing that they didn’t use the black paint code as the front doors were not black (“Special Mask”).

I agree with Alan. there is always a paint code..what it means may depend on what the particular fleet orderer wanted...mono color, two tone, other...

My Border Patrol GF has "V02", and the "special paint" second tag. it means "two tone, painted roof" but doesnt tell you what paint color...unless you knew, as I did, it was the Border Patrol.

i will add the "999" also showed up when the fleet order specified had a paint color that wasnt offered that particular model year (the fire department's "Red", or the Michigan State police "Blue", etc.).

so unless you know the fleet's colors (if the car has been thorougly refinished and it doesnt show itself), you may not know exactly what the original color was. and, as Alan says, even in you "see" white, you may not know "which" white of a few used by ONE manufacturer... unless you know who ordered it and what their spec was.

in some cases, there is no doubt of what the color is..it can be seen on the car and on the tag, unambiguously. Black, Rallye Red, Spinnaker White, etc....

Back