1977 440 Redline?

Seems to involve a lot of thought process in speculating over an unanswerable question of which there is no point in speculation in the first place.
The point in speculation was to find the rev limit so I could find the CFM in order to identify the right carb to purchase, but @CBODY67 already answered with what carb to choose. However, MoPar Maniac does put up a good point as to what it actually is. I would guess around 4500 to 5000 based on what others have said, but I am not sure.

Seems to involve a lot of thought process in speculating over an unanswerable question of which there is no point in speculation in the first place.
One thing to note speculate on is the use of a factory Holley. They were all crap. I'm not sure Dave at Woodruff's could even fix them, on second thought he probably could but why.

I had one of those on a Ford truck (not original)
My parents had a 73 Mercury Colony Park wagon with a 460 and that carb. I rebuilt it in auto shop in high school and my teacher told me that I was wasting my time. I finished it and after installation, it excelled in generating backfires. I ended up buying a replacement 4300 and it worked.
That station wagon was a 49 state version, ran on regular leaded fuel and did burnouts with 10 people in the car...

Hey guys,
Does anyone know what the redline or max revs in a 1977 440 V8 is? I am looking at buying a new carb and replacing the Lean Burn, and I read somewhere that the redline was 3600, but that seems way too low to me.
Thanks,
77newyorker440
when the valves float was the redline for my New Yorker

If I took the OPs bottom end as is, and put my top end off my old motor, I would shift at 6400 and run very low 12s in my 64 Polara.
6500 is the commonly known safe limit for a stock cast piston Chrysler.
I had 906 heads and a Mopar. 528 cam.

Why not figure out what the rpm is at WOT shift points? Chances are you'll never wind the motor higher than that anyway.

when the valves float was the redline for my New Yorker
let me clarify that.
A 440 could probably rev to 6500. The "redline" is usually 200 rpm past where it stops making power.
Your peak power rpm is probably 4800 unless you have all the rest of the parts to make more power longer like 5800.
For a theoretical redline like code red explosion I'd say 7500 and the balancer will fly off and then you are terminal.

440's are tough as #$%^ so like I said. the limit for me was valve float and it was WAY up there..

I did more digging and wow the party is over at 3600 so I'd say efficiency redline 4000
Redline to me is max RPM before it explodes
peak power says 3600 and I had a 77 and I was shifting it way past that and I do remember it falling on its face at a point that felt non satisfactory

That was one sweet car though, 2 door loaded CB built in, power roof, super gorgeous and comfortable.

2021464.jpg

Last edited:
Back