SOLD 1977 PK41 Fury Police Package

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I wonder under which circumstances lower heat shields were applied. I guess it depended on the requirements laid down by state authorities.

Here are some pictures from a 360ci 1977 Gran Fury single exhaust system.

1977 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY.UNDERSIDE.ENGINE.360ci.CATS.jpg

1977 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY.UNDERSIDE.ENGINE.360ci.CATS.LRG.001.jpg

1977 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY.UNDERSIDE.ENGINE.360ci.EXAUST.REAR.001.jpg

As you can see the lower pipe shield was rather hokey and understand as to why most likely they would end up in the Midas dumpster.

1977 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY.UNDERSIDE.ENGINE.360ci.EXAUST.REAR,cut.001.jpg

I don't remember any of these shields on my 1976 Brougham and no crossover cat, but since that was a very high mileage car that was given to me it probably had several exhaust systems replaced in it's life.

You rarely see the resonator survive, let alone the heat shields.
And don't get me started about the hangers. :mad:

My cat on my 78 NYB was so messed up the car sounded like a Hoover when it was running.

My cat on my 78 NYB was so messed up the car sounded like a Hoover when it was running.
Lol! I had a 76 or so Newport like that!
It sounded like massive amounts of atmosphere being rapidly displaced but not much acceleration!

Yep, I only had 190hp max.....then.
I’ve seen what you have now. Nice.
My old Newport had a 400 with a thermoquad (I think) it ran great, just not much power. I remember my buddies looking in awe at the enormous secondary barrels on that carb.

I’ve seen what you have now. Nice.
My old Newport had a 400 with a thermoquad (I think) it ran great, just not much power. I remember my buddies looking in awe at the enormous secondary barrels on that carb.

Compression was down to 8:1 in the later Formal years and I've been told some them were 7.8:1 or lower. Can't build much power with that.

Compression was down to 8:1 in the later Formal years and I've been told some them were 7.8:1 or lower. Can't build much power with that.
I remember reading about the late 70s Ford 460. They said it was quite an accomplishment in itself to have so much displacement yet put out such dismal performance!

I'don'kno but I remember when I worked in the big-azz 4x4 truck shop the owner had a 70's early 80's(?) Ford van (extended?) with the Pathfinders 4x4 conversion and a BB 460 in it.
I can't remember if I ever drove it but when he was in the drivers seat it had a lot of get-up & go, almost to the scary point... hearing the monster truck tires howling as we approached 'SIDEWAYS'.
Was his shop show truck at the time, I'm sure it was hopped up with carb, manifold, headers etc. Glad he never asked me to work on it as I hate vans (doghouse) don't think I looked under the hood ever, could care less, all I had was one step van to service, that was enough.
BUT IIRC the truck motors had less emissions controls on them than the cars back then.

Here are some pictures from a 360ci 1977 Gran Fury single exhaust system.

That's a California emissions model! I see the mini-converter tucked away behind the transverse heat shield:

1977-PLYMOUTH-GRAN-FURY-UNDERSIDE-ENGINE-360ci-CATS-LRG-001.jpg

Now I want to know everything about your car! Does it have "111" on the fender tag?

It's not my car, just some picture I culled off the net for reference.

sheeeet back in the younger daze we were very uneducated about what all those funny numbers were on fender tags & broadcast sheets. We were more concerned about driving them and going places at 'appropriate' speeds on the interstate highways as these cars were designed to do!

:steering::steering::steering::steering::steering:

Like I said my (long gone to Mopar Heaven) 1976 Plymouth Gran Fury 4dr sedan Brougham had 1 Cat (East Coast car) which I punched out with a old broken torsion bar, but all the heat shields were long gone when I got it.

My 1977 Plymouth Gran Fury PK41 when I got it with 67k mikes still had all the heat shields intact. Think I needed to do a muffler on one I remember that all the floorboard shields had quicknut fasteners and I was going to pitch them outta fear of future rattles, (this is why most would toss them) but when I found the insulation pad between the shield and the floor I decided to keep them and just checked all the quicknut's and replaced the ones that were loose and a little iffy with the rust. Back then a quick de-cat was to get the dual engine pipes from a 1974 (same) Fury instead of punching out the monolith. But this could get you in trouble if you had a state inspection and they checked for cats, I know I got hell once for the gas filler on my 1976 Brougham cuz I swapped it out from a '74, 'jist said "oh must be a 'Canadian' car" ha ha ha ha Later we learned to just expand the unleaded opening with a proper size piece of pipe.

Last edited:
We were more concerned about driving them and going places at 'appropriate' speeds on the interstate highways as these cars were designed to do!

You couldn't be more right! But my car is still being held up by bureaucracy, so I have to make do with theory.

Any documentation on your 1977 PK41 would be most welcome!

The High Altitude emissions New Mexico car's exhaust assembly indeed doesn't look very original. It is also missing the mini-converter:

77-NewMexico-HighAltitudes.jpg

Here the California car for comparison:

1977 PLYMOUTH GRAN FURY.UNDERSIDE.ENGINE.360ci.CATS.LRG.001.jpg

Just picked this one up yesterday, PK41U Montana Highway Patrol car.

IMG_7520s.jpg

It's a 77. Should probably start a new post about it in general. Here is the unit number from Montana. Pretty clean car.

IMG_7737.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back