1978 fury

Reaction score
So I am a little confused....

Would a 78 plymouth fury be a C body or a B body??

So the body style changes between fury and gran fury??

I don't think this one is a gran fury, doesn't say it anywhere.

This car's vin starts with :

RL46J8A

If that helps any??

It's more the model year. 1977 was the last C body Fury/Royal Monaco. It was downsized in 78 to the already in production B body. Chrysler saw what GM did and how well the downsized Fullsize cars were selling and followed suit. Only instead of new cars they used what they had in the arsenal. Or so is my understanding.

Downsizing was the norm back then. The 1974 / 75 Imperial became the New Yorker for 1976 / 77. The New Yorker for 1974 / 75 became the Newport for 1976 / 77. The 1974 Fury's became the Gran Fury for 1975 / 76 / 77. The 1974 Polara was discontinued and the 1974 Monaco became the Royal Monaco for 1975 / 76 / 77. This made it so Chrysler Could move the fury to the Belvidere line, and the Monaco to the Coronet line for 1975 / 76 / 77/ 78. This made it seem like the customer was getting more car for the money.

Think of it in size classes. Those were traditionally related to the wheelbase.
Largest wheelbase = fullsize class= C-Body
Intermediate wheelbase = intermediate class = B-Body
Smallest wheelbase = compact class = A-Body

Chrysler was constantly shifting nameplates from the larger class to the class below, like @traintech55 explained. They did not really downsize by reducing the largest wheelbase, like GM did, they justed tried to save well-established nameplates, ie. commercial assets, because they knew their fullsize was a dying breed.

And so it was in 1978. The fullsize Plymouth C-Body was gone, but the famous Fury nameplate was still there, since 1975 tacked on a B-Body. The new-for-1975 name for the intermediate B-Body was accompanied by an ad campaign telling the customer that this was the family car they had been looking for. "Family Car" used to be associated with the fullsize class, so by shifting the nameplate they hoped to shift that association as well.

So the body style changes between fury and gran fury??

I don't think this one is a gran fury, doesn't say it anywhere.

This car's vin starts with :

RL46J8A

If that helps any??
If it can help you, here is some information from my "chassis-body service manual. By your serial number you will know everything. even the place it was built!

77_TAG Code plate interpretation.jpg

77_VIN_DECODE.jpg

vehicule identification code chart.JPG

yes but it is a C body site so thats the focus. theres forbbodiesonly.com which is focussed on b body cars
Well I understand. Sorry to get in this website instead of the "forbbodiesonly.com". I should have read better before...

I found this website when I was looking on the web for my car, and the answer was on this site! I never looked at the title of this website but only at my answer I was looking for!?!?!?! lol

I didn't do a difference because I looked for so long to get a car. All my search at the beginning was for Polara, Monaco, Newport or Fury between 1967 to 1977. All C-body except till 1975 with the fury... Maybe thats why my brain didn't do this difference at the website getting use to look at those cars... ;-)

Tx

you might be able to find a gran fury here, so hang around ! but for more specific stuff about your fury you should join fbbo too

Back