1978 NYB Progress

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I finally installed the Edlebrock intake, carb, and air cleaner. What a difference that made. I eliminated most of the emission stuff. Coupled with duals from the manifolds back with flowmasters, she runs and breathes very good. I'll check fuel mileage and see how far past the 10.5 mpg she has been getting. I have a nice set of Mopar Performance finned aluminum valve covers to dress it up a little.

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

Hmmm...
I highly encourage you, with where I see you wanting to go with this, is replace the rears to 3.55.
(And yes, I am baiting you -lmao)

I finally installed the Edlebrock intake, carb, and air cleaner. What a difference that made. I eliminated most of the emission stuff. Coupled with duals from the manifolds back with flowmasters, she runs and breathes very good. I'll check fuel mileage and see how far past the 10.5 mpg she has been getting. I have a nice set of Mopar Performance finned aluminum valve covers to dress it up a little.

View attachment 2350

View attachment 2351

Nice job! How long did it take you to do the job? I did mine over a weekend, but I bet there are guys out there who can do it faster than that with their eyes closed. Are you going to have any linkage issues what with the E-brock intake being taller than the factory piece? I had to fab a piece in the linkage so that my trans would shift correctly, or maybe its not an issue for the taller 440.

I remember seeing those valve covers on your living room floor..

I agree with Stan, 3:55's :3gears:

{Pssstt... Dave: tween the two of us we'll have him so upside on this car that he'll earn his honorary C-Body Fool medal soon.}

That's a two speed wiper motor. The only way I could get mine to work, (after countless unsuccessful attempts to find the correct bushing) was to modify my two speed arm with the (smaller) bushing end from a three speed arm.:violent-smiley-101:

Last edited:
I see your E.G.R. timer is leaking on the expansion valve just like mine did.

That's a two speed wiper motor. The only way I could get mine to work, (after countless unsuccessful attempts to find the correct bushing) was to modify my two speed arm with the (smaller) bushing end from a three speed arm.:violent-smiley-101:

I knew that wasn't going to be easy. Bummer.

Hmmm...
I highly encourage you, with where I see you wanting to go with this, is replace the rears to 3.55.
(And yes, I am baiting you -lmao)

I might have to do that. The acceleration with the2.71's is tremendous. I can image the difference with 3.55's.

Nice job! How long did it take you to do the job? I did mine over a weekend, but I bet there are guys out there who can do it faster than that with their eyes closed. Are you going to have any linkage issues what with the E-brock intake being taller than the factory piece? I had to fab a piece in the linkage so that my trans would shift correctly, or maybe its not an issue for the taller 440.

It took me one complete day with the help of a friend. The biggest time saver was triple checking my parts list and figuring out the mods for the linkage. I had a problem with the left front of the intake hitting the A/C mounting bracket. Had to grind about 3/16 off the corner, no problem - it wasn't part of the sealing surface. Had to use a 1481 bracket for the carb. All of the rest of the linkage I took off the TQ and the linkage all hooked up. Transmission kickdown works great. I still have to hook the cruise control linkage. It looks like it'll bolt up with the factory linkage.

I remember seeing those valve covers on your living room floor..

The valve covers are going on soon. Just was worn out after getting the install done and the road test. I have to get rid of some carb preheat duct from the left exhaust manifold. Also going to eliminate some more useless wiring, dress up needed wiring.

{Pssstt... Dave: tween the two of us we'll have him so upside on this car that he'll earn his honorary C-Body Fool medal soon.}

I'm waiting for Stan to post a date, time and location for his C-Bodies for Dummies Seminar.

I see your E.G.R. timer is leaking on the expansion valve just like mine did.

Great. That can be removed now too. Do you see any other unecessary stuff I can take off. There's a lot of emission looking stuff that I have to research to make sure it something that I don't need.

Are you going to have any linkage issues what with the E-brock intake being taller than the factory piece? I had to fab a piece in the linkage so that my trans would shift correctly, or maybe its not an issue for the taller 440.[/QUOTE]

Here's a picture of the linkage. I still have to take a pin off the TQ to hook up the cruise control cable.

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01191.jpg

DSC01192.jpg

Are you going to have any linkage issues what with the E-brock intake being taller than the factory piece? I had to fab a piece in the linkage so that my trans would shift correctly, or maybe its not an issue for the taller 440.

Here's a picture of the linkage. I still have to take a pin off the TQ to hook up the cruise control cable.

View attachment 2367

View attachment 2368[/QUOTE]

Looks almost exactly like mine....but I started out swapping original 2bbl carb for the 4bbl Ebrock and intake. I had to find a big block 4bbl carb linkage bracket to replace the 2bbl setup, and I think maybe my kick down rod is a little shorter on the topside. I had to lengthen it's reach to the carb linkage so the transmission would shift correctly.

Is that an AVS carb?

A little update. Need to work on the rusty stuff next.

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

DSC01348.jpg

Last edited:
A little update. Need to work on the rusty stuff next.

I dont know if your wheel wells come off as easy as they do on my cars but I redid the ones on my blue 71 in a couple of days . What a difference. I hate to say it but its all rattle can too.........................

166663 2003 440.jpg

DSCF0210 (2) (1024x768).jpg

DSCF0211 (2) (1024x768).jpg

Back