1989-1993 New Yorkers and Imperials

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Any of you own one? I've found a very nice '93 NY not terribly far away from me. With 100K or so on the odometer, it appears to be very clean and solid, and a CARFAX shows it's never left the area it was sold in. Second owner, currently. I've heard bad things about the transmissions and the dash electronics on these cars, but as far as the rest of the car goes, I find only positives. I can't get to the car until this Friday (2 Feb), and if it's a nice as its being presented, it's gonna be my wife's new driver, when we'll bid farewell and good riddance to her '08 Buick Enclave. Cant gripe too much, we've put 50K mikes on that in seven years, and it's been on four long road trips without fail.

Pics to follow, assuming I buy the New Yorker. Example below, in case you may have forgot what these beauties look like!

Any input from the peanut gallery?

1706536905646.png

Last edited:
I think that the timing belt is the killer of these and others of the era. the recomended change was 100000 KM here. Plenty of really good cars scraped because of belt fail, they are interference engines. Valves hit pistons when belt goes. I could be wrong on that engine.

The 3.3L and the 3.8L are Chrysler-built cast-iron block/aluminum head interference engines with timing chain.

Does anyone know what the name of that half-roof vinyl treatment is? Hoop roof? Halo roof?

Last edited:
Well, I missed out on the New Yorker, but I did find a very nice 2001 Concorde LXi locally that I've 95% committed to. One-owner. All of the normal 100K service is done, including timing belt, pulleys and tensioner. Pretty damn nice car! Should be in my driveway Wednesday. Pics posted when it's in the driveway!

Those transmissions of that era are not very durable. The 3.3/3.8 are good pushrod, cam in block engines.

Well, I missed out on the New Yorker, but I did find a very nice 2001 Concorde LXi locally that I've 95% committed to. One-owner. All of the normal 100K service is done, including timing belt, pulleys and tensioner. Pretty damn nice car! Should be in my driveway Wednesday. Pics posted when it's in the driveway!
The 1990-93 Chrysler New York Fifth Ave as well as other Chrysler Corp products of the same era have a really nasty Bendix brake actuator piston assembly and the pump-motor assembly anti-lock master cylinder setup. They fail.
They stuck a deal with the NHTSA to provide a brake warranty (instead of a total recall of ALL effected vehicles) for the "LIFE" of the chassis to any person that owns one of those cars. Car age or milage doesn't matter.
Chrysler fights it tooth and nail because there are no parts to service it. The only source is a rebuild house in California. The rebuilt part cost $1200, Chrysler don't like that.
Chrysler acts like they don't know anything about it, but the NHTSA remembers it very well.

So, you got lucky on the pass.

Last edited:
Let's see, about that Concorde...no. Not a bad car, by any means. It drove well and was in good shape, overall. But... Always a "but". It was touted as a two-owner car with the seller's mother being the original purchaser. After a Carfax check, it was on owner number five. Strike one. We drove the car, and it had a series of "thumps" going on, like something in the suspension was loose; even though the car was tracking well. Seller said the struts were "making noise". Strike two. After the test drive and checking the car further, I looked at all of the fluids, and checked for blow-by. Last thing was the oil level. It was barely on the dipstick! Seller said it must be from how we were parked in the parking lot. Hmmm, no. Strike three. I told the guy we'd think about it, and went home.

The car headlights were very yellow, and needed replacement, versus the "restoration" people do to extend the useful life of the assembly. Found new ones on the NAPA website. Only $329.00 each side! This was definitely a "20-footer". I kept my distance at 21 feet. I texted the seller the next morning that I was not interested and pointed out why.

So, what did I find for my lovely wife? A 2004 Grand Cherokee! Just 111K miles, leather, pretty loaded out, and a true one-owner rig! Full-time four wheel drive, 4.0L Six, and this one is the "Limited Edition". I'll throw a pic up today sometime. Nice, nice Jeep! It's nearly a full foot shorter and several inches narrower and shorter that the Enclave it replaced, so a bit more wiggle room in the garage. I'm happy. My wife is happy. Life is good.

111k on a 4.0, only 200k to go till it may need rebuilt. Good score.
The thumping in the Concord was probably the tie rod ends, I changed them on my 300 a few times.

Last edited:
Back