318 poly plug fouling

I don't know if you're cleaning the plugs and returning them to the same cylinders or are you using new plugs that keep fouling in the same cylinders?

The reason I ask is about a year ago I had 3 Autolite 85's foul out like yours at three different times on two different cars.
I switched to NGK plugs and never had a plug foul on either car since I changed brands.

I asked around and nobody else seemed to be having the same problem with the Autolites.
So the autolites are new. Those 2 plugs fouled once already so I cleaned them and reinstalled in the 2 same cylinders and they look like that now. Is the heat range a bit different on the ngks?

So the autolites are new. Those 2 plugs fouled once already so I cleaned them and reinstalled in the 2 same cylinders and they look like that now. Is the heat range a bit different on the ngks?

I don't know the heat range as I just cross-referenced the 85's to the NGK's.
In my first post I said my plugs fouled out but what I should have said they quit working.
I switched the plugs to different cylinders and the same plugs showed not firing.
After the same problem happening 3 times in two cars, all three being autolite 85's, I decided to go with the NGK's and have yet to have a plug fail.

Last edited:
I don't know the heat range as I just cross-referenced the 85's to the NGK's.
In my first post I said my plugs fouled out but what I should have said they quit working.
I switched the plugs to different cylinders and the same plugs showed not firing.
After the same problem happening 3 times in two cars, all three being autolite 85's, I decided to go with the NGK's and have yet to have a plug fail.
Thanks for the input, I may try those out.

So I got the dizzy out of the poly today to send out to @halifaxhops for him to diagnose and rebuild. Upon further inspection out of the vehicle, when I spin the shaft and look down from the top it does seem a bit out of round and there is a little bit of slight play side to side. However when I tipped the dizzy I noticed oil drip out of the vac canister where the hose hookup is and it wasn't just one drip, im guessing this isn't normal? I'm also wondering if I should replace my pcv valve since that is original with 73k on it and should be replaced I think like every 3k. Anyway figured I would update you guys.

Last edited:
Back