SOLD 36-1 crank trigger wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

wish4hemi

Reaction score
Contact seller
Custom 36-1 trigger wheels - (4) available

I had these custom made to fit my small block crank pulley. The inner diameter is 4.268" while the outer is 7.25". They are cut on a water jet out of 11GA (0.125") carbon steel material. Beautiful cut quality.

It was designed for a small block crank pulley with power steering, but can fit any pulley that measures around 4.268" (almost 4-17/64" for those without calipers). Mine was a light press fit, then I tack welded it to make sure it didn't move. Measure your pulley before ordering. They do have a balancing hole cut in them (see picture).

It will also fit any other small block, big block, or slant 6 pulley that has a 4.268" outer diameter to press on to. A few of my 440 crank pulleys measured within range.

This will work with many of the aftermarket fuel injection systems out there and allow you to go completely distributorless. With just the 36-1 wheel, you can do waste fire distributorless ignition. When you add a cam sensor, you're capabilities are fairly limitless. I have personal experience with these wheels on Megasquirt EFI, Holley HP/Terminator EFI, and Ford EDIS distributorless ignition combinations.

If you need a custom trigger wheel designed, shoot me a PM. I have easy access to modeling software and a water jet. I prefer the custom pieces over the universal 36-1 wheels that Megasquirt sells because it's a much cleaner install.

$40 shipped to the 48, PayPal fees included
PM for payment details
Only (4) available at this time

IMG_5564.JPG

IMG_5566.JPG

IMG_5561.JPG

I'd really like a BB one that is sandwiched between the balancer and the pulley. However in the mean time I'm going to think on this option a bit. may be an interim solution.

I'd really like a BB one that is sandwiched between the balancer and the pulley. However in the mean time I'm going to think on this option a bit. may be an interim solution.
But this one would not affect your pulley alignment, nice piece as long as your pulley is same outside diameter.

But this one would not affect your pulley alignment, nice piece as long as your pulley is same outside diameter.

Correct. Some balancers don't even allow you to sandwich the plate in between because the pulley is "recessed" into the balancer. See my second photo.

I tried the sandwich method and the bolting on to the front of the pulley method on my 440, but did not like either one. That's why I designed this piece. What I have for sale here is the cleanest and most reliable install you can do. It's barely noticeable after the alternator and power steering pump go on.

Not trying to screw up your sale thread, but why not open it up more and butt the wheel up against the back of the pulley V?

Not trying to screw up your sale thread, but why not open it up more and butt the wheel up against the back of the pulley V?

Questions don't bother me. There are a couple reasons NOT to butt the trigger wheel against the V-groove.

1. That part of the pulley is tapered and does not act as a reliable centering locator. Further back, where I have it located, has a more consistent diameter and better acts as a centering location.
2. Remember that a crank sensor and sensor mounting bracket are also in the equation. Depending on the sensor and bracket, there may be interference issues if the wheel is pushed too close to where the belt will run. I like to have the trigger wheel farther back to have maximum clearance of components.

Therefore, in my opinion, there is absolutely no benefit in pushing the trigger wheel any farther forwards.

Looks like a nice piece good luck if I were any where near SMFI I would already have check in mail. Are you able to reproduce at a given time or do you order a run and when gone you done?

I can produce at any time, but one-off pieces are going to be more expensive. Ideally, I run in batches of (5), but anything can be done. It usually takes 3 to 4 days for manufacturing, then 3 to 5 days in the mail to you.

You don't have to be going full sequential to use this type of trigger. You can use it for wasted spark applications (individual coils like LSx's or dual coils like Ford EDIS's) then add a cam sensor down the line when you're ready to do something more extravagant.

That looks fantastic. Do you happen to know if this is compatible with the Magnum-style pulleys? When I converted my Valiant to EFI I also changed the front end of the 340 to the Magnum serpentine setup. I'll check measurements tonight, but thought I'd ask before I had you send one... thanks!

I don't know off the top of my head, but would be interested in the dimensions once you measure it.

as a guy that knows nothing about what yall are talking about ( i had to google this wheel you created)

it seems as if we are going to mechanical means to control electronic things.

i love technology.

its sort of ironic.

anyways - good looking spiked wheel timing thingy :)

try not to die -

- saylor

Most (if not all) engines from the early '90's on have some sort of crank and/or cam trigger and sensor system, whether it's a 36-1 or 60-2 wheel or so on. It could be called a reluctor, trigger wheel, tone wheel, etc.

Instead of turning a distributor and messing with advance weight springs all day, I hook up my laptop, punch in whatever timing I want at whatever RPM, then head down the road knowing that I have rock-steady and infinitely adjustable timing at the click of a button. It's becoming fairly mainstream with the advent of plug and play EFI systems. The "distributor" looks like this:

timingtable.JPG

FYI... measured the Magnum crank pulley (1992 model with separate balancer) and it comes in around 4.406-4.410". Looks like I'm going to have to hold off on this little jewel for a bit until I sort out what I'm doing with my EFI.

On that topic, I'm interested to see how you like your Terminator setup. I've been looking at the Holley HP EFI ECU/harness kit to replace my existing GM-based system, but I haven't run in to anyone actually running a Holley product. I can holler at you by PM to keep your sales thread clean, though...

All (4) are SOLD but I will be making another run of these.

Send me a PM if you need one for a big block, small block, slant 6, or anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back