383 cam question

RB61

Reaction score
383 10:1 compression/ 4bbl

Looking for user information on a Melling MTD 2 cam.

What has been your experience with this cam?
Did you have to replace stock valve springs?

Thanks

What are you looking for in a cam? Something stock like? More lumpy idle?. I read the specs on the Melling cam and it seems small close to the stock cam.

What are you looking for in a cam? Something stock like? More lumpy idle?. I read the specs on the Melling cam and it seems small close to the stock cam.

Thanks for responding. I am looking for something similar to what was stock for HP engines or something slightly better for low end to med torque range.

Melling stated that the SPD 11 was close to what was stock back then and that the MTD 2 cam was somewhat stronger - close to the Mopar bump stick. They refer to the MTD 2 as their Torque Cam.

I know very little about cam specs and am looking for information from experienced members. The engine currently has the SPD 11 in it. I have never had the engine in a car.

The MTD 2 is better than that SPD 11, should idle good and give good torque. It's similar to what some manufactures call a RV cam. The 70 383/335 HP motor uses the same cam as the 440/375 HP it's specs look pretty good nothing too wild should idle good and have good vacuum.

The MTD 2 is better than that SPD 11, should idle good and give good torque. It's similar to what some manufactures call a RV cam. The 70 383/335 HP motor uses the same cam as the 440/375 HP it's specs look pretty good nothing too wild should idle good and have good vacuum.
65sporty,

Thanks for the information. It sounds like just what I need. The 383 with this cam will be a good replacement for a low compression 361 that is worn out. I hope my son won't be able to tear anything up. He wanted a 440, with which he could do some drive line damage.
DRIVER.jpg

Last edited:
Back