383 vs 440

I see no point in two barrel big blocks. You give up the big block pull in some sort of forced discipline.
A vacuum secondary 4 barrel with large secondaries give you the best of both worlds but the results will be tied to your self discipline.
Plus you can get that cool thermoquad quadrajet sound with an unmuffled air cleaner housing.

For daily driving I love a motorhome 440. Their cheap, run on junk gas and still put out big block torque. I don't care for 2:76's though I run them.
I'd rather drop a few mph and run a 3:00 rear gear.
And as mentioned your mpg will be on with modern suv's or the crew cab pickup family car.
Except when you have five boys at home that will be driving your car. :eek:
We still managed to wear out a set tires within a year on a few of his cars.
When brand new the best we got from a 383 2bb was a ski trip up north. Five teens, skis on roof and cold crisp winter air got us 22mpg in a 69 Newport Custom. Highway generally 15mpg and 8mpg towing a travel trailer. In those days highway travel was at a minimum 75mpg.

Thanks for all the responses. I think a very mild 383 will probably get the job done.
For comparison sake, a mild 360LA can also achieve good power and mileage but in a smaller lighter package that is cheaper to build compared to a B or RB engine,lol!

Except when you have five boys at home that will be driving your car. :eek:
We still managed to wear out a set tires within a year on a few of his cars.
When brand new the best we got from a 383 2bb was a ski trip up north. Five teens, skis on roof and cold crisp winter air got us 22mpg in a 69 Newport Custom. Highway generally 15mpg and 8mpg towing a travel trailer. In those days highway travel was at a minimum 75mpg.

I should clarify my statement a little. I have no problem with two barrel carburetors on big blocks. Carburetors as in plural. Slap three 3 them on there and your good! Just unhook two when the kids drive.
When they are old enough to figure out how to hook them they are old enough to get a job and buy there own damn gas!

For comparison sake, a mild 360LA can also achieve good power and mileage but in a smaller lighter package that is cheaper to build compared to a B or RB engine,lol!

I've not really been that impressed with the small block Mopars I've had and my other Mopars are big blocks so swapping in a big block means I can keep fewer spares around.

What's wrong with the 383 that makes you want to do a 440, just curious?? BTW Welcome
Thanks.

There’s nothing wrong with 383s but it seems to be easier to find reasonably priced complete 440s round here. If they get about the same economy I might just put a 440 in although I would rather have a 383 for preference.

Sitting in my 65 Sport Fury and a women came up and asked me "what kind of mileage you get with that car?" My response, "if you want a classic car and your worried about gas mileage, you probably shouldn't own a classic and should be looking at owning a Honda Civic!"
Sitting in my 65 Sport Fury and a women came up and asked me "what kind of mileage you get with that car?" My response, "if you want a classic car and your worried about gas mileage, you probably shouldn't own a classic and should be looking at owning a Honda Civic!"

GTO.jpg

The Sport Fury is somewhat "easy' on gas but my other "toy" has the credit card hanging on the key chain for quick access when I pull into a gas station; which is often! I need to keep my lead foot off that accelerator! Like the song says "three deuces and a 4 speed and a 389" SLURP, SLURP! Ahhhhhh, so good! Bought it last summer while my Sport Fury is having a complete off frame. Interested, Check it out:
1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible | Concord, CA | Carbuffs | Concord CA 94520

Last edited:
As I remember reading, the 383 2bbl was allegedly a favorite engine of many Chrysler execs. The 383 will a bit less off-idle torque, but the shorter stroke like, personally. With the 3.23 and your tire size, it should run about 25mph/1000rpm on the highway. Going to a 2.76 will make it more like 28mph/1000rpm. With a somewhat "normal" cam, figure on about a 2800-3000rpm torque peak, which would be about 75mph with the 3.23s.

That "favoriteness" might have been related to a 383 2bbl being a bit more saleable to the general public, I suspect. Bigger than a 318 and not as thirsty as a 440, where the 440 4bbl was not standard.

Look at all of the things you'll need to alter with a B/RB where a LA currently is. A stroker 408 LA might be a better alternative. Not as much visual "pop" when the hood is openned, but MUCH easier to change spark lugs on.

Back to the orig question, I'd go for a slightly-enhanced 383 with AVS2 myself. Even if it might mean using a factory stock cam, a "Road Runner" torque converter, a good dual exhaust system with good headers or HP manifolds (if possible), and a modern fuel and ignition system. Keep it simple for best results, to me.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I'm a big fan of the small blocks, the heads have great airflow compared to the big blocks with the low, restrictive exhaust ports. A stroker LA should have sufficient torque for the application while also operating more efficiently. Maybe even consider going for a 361 truck motor, not great for performance but very reliable and not too hard to find. That said, a mild 383 is an excellent all-round solution

[QUOTE="Luke Pokrajac, post: 984353, member: 8080" I have a 383 in my sport fury and it runs just awesome with a Lunati 256 cam in it...more power than you would ever need. And it's pretty good on gas with a 650 AVS2.
Any idea what sort of mileage you get on the freeway?[/QUOTE]
Sorry for the delay! I get around 16-18 on the highway with my 383. I did install overdrive gearset in the 4-speed manual gearbox. With 3.23 rear end and .80 overdrive it has a final drive ratio of around 2.58. Let me tell you....it pulls like a train in overdrive. I took a 6% long grade hill in the NC mountains near Asheville at 80MPH in overdrive without kicking secondaries in. I could just about see the gas guage go down...but no 4-barrel. 383 is an awesome motor...built right it is a torque monster. I put 440 source heads on mine since I replied to your original question earlier this year.

My 67 Sport Fury Convertible got me 15.4 mpg on a recent trip from Brownwood to Abilene. This was on Texas back roads doing 75mph, freeways in Abilene and some city driving. She has a 383 2bbl with 3.26 gears. I also had the top down. this was a 250 mile round trip.

On the left stock 383 625 Eddy 4bbl with 452 heads,TTi 2.5 exhaust, pertronix ignition, 2157514 tires and 2.76 gears. 15 to 18 MPG.
On the right horny 383 750CFM Eddy carb and intake,Summit electronuc ignition kit with orange box and recurved distributor. Bored 40 over 268 comp cam HP manifolds with TTi 2.5 exhaust. 23570r15 tires with 2.94 gears..12 to 15 MPG highway
FB_IMG_1629949235325.jpg

You can razor tune a 283 2bbl to get 20 mpg but drive it like the revenge of the nerds.

Back