3D model, Chrysler 300 taillights, 1966

thpa

Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought about scanning the rear lights of a Chrysler 300 using 3D technology?

It should then be possible to reproduce the parts using 3D printing.

The lenses are not the issue (and if I recall correctly, someone already has those done with 3D, or is preparing to), it's the bezels that are the part that everyone wants. Brittle and corrosion-prone white metal, they're impossible to find in good condition, and are impossibly expensive to restore.

1690037036113.png

The front turn signal lenses would also be popular, and again, someone could have already, or is preparing to do them with 3D printing. This pair of lenses and collumators is being offered at nearly $1,000 USD at Mopar Mall.

1690037195978.png

67 and 68 Imperial have a similar issue with their front parking lights. No protection from stones, and parking lot bumps. Not very many good used or NOS ones left therefore.

1690037337208.png

A guy in Australia was "re-popping" the '67 Imp turn indicator lenses a number of years ago, but I think that party ended a while ago. Would be great if someone else found a way to do them. Even if you manage to find NOS lenses, that plastic is now 56 years old, and not as flexible as when new.......

I bet someone could 3-D print the bezels in ABS and then have them chrome plated for probably 500 bucks a pair total. Probably wouldn’t be any less durable than the whatever it is cheap metal that are currently made from.

A few years ago I looked into printing in ABS, and at that time, the finish was not smooth enough due to the printing process to allow chrome to look smooth and shiny.

Things may have improved now...

A few years ago I looked into printing in ABS, and at that time, the finish was not smooth enough due to the printing process to allow chrome to look smooth and shiny.

Things may have improved now...
You almost always have to sand and use spot potty. You can also smooth the plastic with an acetone slurry made from scrap abs. Labor intensive, but that’s why the price might be $250 each.

Interesting. I am sure there have been advancements that way that make it more user friendly and better results.

I suppose for surfaces that are as varied as that bezel, and not subject to as close scrutiny as say a bumper or interior brightwork, one could make it happen.

When I was doing my research, I spoke to one of the major automotive manufacturers of chrome plated ABS, and they said it has to be as smooth as possible to even look half decent, and that it's only affordable when one is talking tens of thousands of units.

A guy in Australia was "re-popping" the '67 Imp turn indicator lenses a number of years ago, but I think that party ended a while ago. Would be great if someone else found a way to do them. Even if you manage to find NOS lenses, that plastic is now 56 years old, and not as flexible as when new.......

thats George Laurie, i havent had contact with him in prob 5 yrs ( no reason to).
he was very into Formal Royal monaco, Town & Country, Gran Fury wagons then.

its my understanding he had a bad stroke in 2018.
i dont know if anyone is running his business any more if its still happening.
he is/was notorious for delays in replying to emails.
his email is /was georgelaurie@bigpond.com

George Laurie - that's it, didn't know about his health, 2018 is about when they became unavailable again. Glad I bought a couple sets then............

While I love the styling of the 66 300, this lens availability issue makes me glad I have a 65.
The rear lenses on them are so simple they could be vacuformed if you were willing to give up some of the details.

While 3D printing is always improving, I don't think it will give a nice uniform/virgin appearance. Not yet, at least.
'Chroming' plastic is going to be very expensive for an ABS-printed frame.
Might be better to get the frames from SLS instead.

Back