4 speed tunnel

If you're thinking of the T-10 I mentioned, it is not a top-loader. Common mistake. They are side-shifted transmissions just like an 833.
I was referring to when the aftermarket Getrag 5 and 6 speeds. Getrag? I think it's Getrag the MOPAR upgrade conversions are using.

the term top loader---means you drop the gears in from the top-----top loader shifts on the side-----and i said it wrong for about 50 years-----top loader has a removable tin plate on the top.....
Well, this is a Getrag and I see a shifter at the top.

Mopar-GETRAG-238-6-Speed-2wd-Manual-Transmission.jpg

As long as the hole in the floor is big enough to accommodate the throw of the shifter mechanism then there is no reason you could not just put a hole in the floor with no hump. There are all shapes and sizes of shifter boots out there so I'm sure you could find something that looked decent.
That's exactly what we did. Unfortunately, I cut the hole too large, but I was able to find a boot with a chrome plate that was quite large. It covers good and serves the job. If I were on my home computer I could share a photo.

the term top loader---means you drop the gears in from the top-----top loader shifts on the side-----and i said it wrong for about 50 years-----top loader has a removable tin plate on the top.....
Yes, and T-10 does not.

I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that Ford used both.

The bottom line is this in a C-body:
1. When converting to an A883, you need to add a hump. Period. How you add a hump is up to your skills.
2. When converting to an aftermarket tranny, I don't know because I can't recall any such a conversion. Can anybody show me one?
Note: For a C-body, I read once (source: unknown) that for a conversion to an aftermarket transmission with the shifter stick on top, you just need to punch a hole.

Last edited:
Back