40 year old virgin

71Newp

Reaction score
OK, now that I have your attention, my question is about a 40 year old spare tire (note: for the record we are talking automotive) that has never been out of the trunk (see "note" above). It appears to be in pristine condition, no signs of rot/splits/bulges. Is it safe to use as a spare in an emergency?
Thanks,
Tim

Tim, I would consider it a "conversation piece", and not to rely on as a backup to get you back home safely when you get a flat.

I have the original spare for my car. 46 years old and really nice. I wouldn't trust it to get me home. A new spare is in the trunk.

It's probably for the best to not have to rely on it and have a new one for your spare. Great show piece though

That is an absolute no. You don't want to have a blowout with a C-Body. I did and it wasn't pretty at 45 mph. Put that OEM spare in your garage and get a new spare and be safe. Tires are only safe for 8 years according to DOT.

Thanks for the input, I share the views expressed here. I did have someone try to tell me it was good to use!

Thanks for the input, I share the views expressed here. I did have someone try to tell me it was good to use!
Keep what has been said here in mind if you get any more advice from that person.

Chances of anyone having a major blow out with the new radials are pretty slim don't you think?
Besides, don't all of us have road side assistance for our classic cars?
Simply for show purposes I believe it would be ok to use and if you did get into a real pinch where you had absolutely no alternative it can probably be used but very cautiously like doing no more than 15 to 20mph...

And if you plan to do some major hi-way cruising then a new spare is definitely in order..

Back