413 vs. 361 '61 Newport swap???

robndi43

Reaction score
Okay. I hope you guys don't get sick of me asking so many questions. I just want to see any unsuspected pitfalls before I jump in blind.

Am I going to encounter problems swapping a '59 Imperial 413 into my 361 equipped '61 Chrysler Newport. Different motor mounts? Accessories hooked up the same i.e. A/C , power steering, alternator brackets etc.? Pulleys from 361 fit on the 413?
I'm hoping to take everything off my 361 and transfer it to the 413!!!
Am I living a pipe dream assuming it will all transfer???

Any and all help and input greatly appreciated. New to the Chrysler rebuilding. Hope I don't wear out my welcome in the learning phase. Hope one day, after I get this beast back on the road, I can pay it forward.

Externally the only major difference between the 361 and 413 is that the 413 is an RB block and the 361 is a B block, the RB meaning it is a raised block, the deck height is higher, thus again externally the only real difference is that the RB inlet manifold is wider than the 361 so they are incompatible as a generality. Accessories for the engine block are plentiful and easy to come by so no worries there. Now, the 413, what year is it? This will tell us what type of heads are on it and if the rocker covers have the 4 bolt or six bolt pattern.

Lol, I just read the opening spiel again its a '59 413. Okay it should have the four bolt rocker covers which are interchangeable with the 361 so you are good there too.

Thanks, Rags and Wollfen, for the help. The 413 came out of an ultra low mileage '59 Imperial. It still has the golden lion decaled valve covers on it. Intake and 4 barrel too. Just want to be able to use the A/C, Alternator and power steering brackets, pulleys and their accessories that bolt on, transferred from the 361 to the 413. I don't have the factory exhaust, but if the 361 won't bolt on, I'll find something that will. I got a set of headers in the deal, but not sure I want that head ache. Hard enough to keep them tight on my race car.

how long has the 413 been apart from its Imp?

A/C bracket on pre 68-69 will not interchange between RB and B engine. Murry B Park will have what you need.

Thanks for the input.
Would I be correct to assume that all of the other components of the A/C will transfer once I procure the correct bracketry? From what I have learned, and so far it's been a lot, from all the posts and replies to my questions, the intake manifold would be the problem and my bracket won't mate to that manifold.

how long has the 413 been apart from its Imp?
I bought the engine from a friend of mine while I was still living in Florida.
He was in a junkyard there and, being a Mopar man himself, saw this perfect looking '59 Imperial sitting there. He inquired about the car and was told that an elderly couple had bought the car new. It wasn't driven much, hence the 45,000 miles on the odometer. After the husband died, the car sat in their garage for several years. After the lady passed, the idiot family called the salvage yard and had them haul the car away.
My friend was drooling all over the car, but try as he might they wouldn't, or couldn't, sell him the entire car after it entered the salvage yard. He bought a lot of parts off the car, including the 413 engine. He had planned to put the motor in a Dodge truck he was building, but sold the truck before he put it in. He bench started the motor on several occasions just to keep it fresh.
I have had it for about two years now. I turn it over frequently to keep it freed up.
This is the motor I plan to transplant into my '61 Newport. Hopefully it won't be too complicated of a mod.

You need the A/C compressor mounting bracket for the 413. A 440 bracket will work, too, same critter. The bolt-ons on the front of the engine are a direct swap. You'll need to adjust the throttle linkage, but that swaps out, as well. Exhaust manifolds swap out, as well. BUT, your "Y"-pipe coming off you 361 exhaust manifolds will need to be modified, because of the difference in width of the 413 engine.

You need the A/C compressor mounting bracket for the 413. A 440 bracket will work, too, same critter. The bolt-ons on the front of the engine are a direct swap. You'll need to adjust the throttle linkage, but that swaps out, as well. Exhaust manifolds swap out, as well. BUT, your "Y"-pipe coming off you 361 exhaust manifolds will need to be modified, because of the difference in width of the 413 engine.
Thank you!!! More good info. I appreciate any and all help.

The pre 70 brackets are a big cast iron piece that stretches across the intake manifold/heads so it is RB specific.
Are you saying I have to find a pre '70 bracket for my application? Sorry to ask such mundane questions to you guys in the know, just want to find the right piece. I don't want to stumble across a later model, buy it and it not work.
I appreciate all the help and hope you'll all be patient with me in this learning phase. Even though I'm a dyed in the wool MOPAR fan, I've had AMC hot rods my whole life and know them inside and out as you guys do the MOPAR stuff. My knowledge isn't much help on this, my first MOPAR build. I am trying to soak up everything I'm reading and hearing so I can get one of my dream cars on the road as quickly as possible.
Thanks again!!!!

Back