440 Coolant leak from passenger side

It is definitely the freeze plug. I was Planning to try and get a metal plug in to replace it instead of the expandable rubber ones mainly because I like doing jobs right the first time. Upon closer inspection of the other freeze plugs it looks like the previous owner had a freeze plug issue as well and used the rubber ones. I have owned the car for 3.5yr and it still isn't leaking.

Long term plans are to pull the motor "one day" to freshen it up. Thoughts on using the rubber one as a patch until I can pull the motor to do them all the correct way. We are about to get into the fall here in texas which is some of the best cruising weather. Already in 2015 rebuilt the whole front end, upgraded to disc brakes, all new brake lines, booster, and MC, rebuilt the carb.... I love a project but I would like to put some miles on the old girl.

image.jpeg

It is definitely the freeze plug. I was Planning to try and get a metal plug in to replace it instead of the expandable rubber ones mainly because I like doing jobs right the first time. Upon closer inspection of the other freeze plugs it looks like the previous owner had a freeze plug issue as well and used the rubber ones. I have owned the car for 3.5yr and it still isn't leaking.

Long term plans are to pull the motor "one day" to freshen it up. Thoughts on using the rubber one as a patch until I can pull the motor to do them all the correct way. We are about to get into the fall here in texas which is some of the best cruising weather. Already in 2015 rebuilt the whole front end, upgraded to disc brakes, all new brake lines, booster, and MC, rebuilt the carb.... I love a project but I would like to put some miles on the old girl.
As I said, I would use an expandable type freeze plug.

One of these:

02480-001.jpg

No rubber, they are made of copper. You should be able to get one about anywhere... I think Dorman makes them.

image.jpeg
Just did a flush when I had to repair the radiator leak.... Forgot to mention that on the 2015 repair list.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now I am paranoid about the other freeze plugs after seeing this. The big hole was my screw driver the pin hole was the elements of time. I checked the other plugs and none were leaking ...today. May change after filing her back up with antifreeze.

As I said, I would use an expandable type freeze plug.

One of these:

02480-001.jpg

No rubber, they are made of copper. You should be able to get one about anywhere... I think Dorman makes them.
Didn't know they made such a thing, I thought you meant the rubber one. I learned my new fact for the day.

Haha. No kidding. I'm about to walk in the store. They always look puzzled when I say 1969 Chrysler 300. I actually had one guy argue with me. " They didn't make a 300 in 1969".

No salt here except on your corona. AAP didn't have the brass expandable. I got a traditional steel replacement but nobody has a freeze plug tool in town to rent. Auto zone is bringing one in tomorrow for me to rent. Never fails

No salt here except on your corona. AAP didn't have the brass expandable. I got a traditional steel replacement but nobody has a freeze plug tool in town to rent. Auto zone is bringing one in tomorrow for me to rent. Never fails

A socket with the exact diameter of the lip will work.

I can seem to get the right angle on it with just a socket. Slide all over the place.

Back